Danny Kaey

Article: Audiophile 5: Zu Audio Factory Visit in 5 Minutes + Extended Chat

Rate this topic

Sean is indeed a great guy. Some years back, over the course of a few months, he was helping me track a pair of Zu Druid speakers that had been discontinued. He spent quite a number of hours with me on the phone, where we discussed everything from room size, to ideal amps, to music etc. I wasn't even buying a pair of speakers that he would be making money on and he still was kind enough to spend that time on the phone with me.

Eventually, he located a pair that no one realized existed, except his sales manager, who still had them at his home to demo for potential customers who might have been amongst guests to his house. Sean had them replaced with the then new Druid V. He had the older versions sent back to the factory for a complete reworking, and then sold them to me at virtually the used price, with full warranty and 30 day in home guarantee.  What a pleasure it was getting to know him, and dealing with him. One of the truly outstanding people in audio.

JC

18 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Sean is indeed a great guy. Some years back, over the course of a few months, he was helping me track a pair of Zu Druid speakers that had been discontinued. He spent quite a number of hours with me on the phone, where we discussed everything from room size, to ideal amps, to music etc. I wasn't even buying a pair of speakers that he would be making money on and he still was kind enough to spend that time on the phone with me.

Eventually, he located a pair that no one realized existed, except his sales manager, who still had them at his home to demo for potential customers who might have been amongst guests to his house. Sean had them replaced with the then new Druid V. He had the older versions sent back to the factory for a complete reworking, and then sold them to me at virtually the used price, with full warranty and 30 day in home guarantee.  What a pleasure it was getting to know him, and dealing with him. One of the truly outstanding people in audio.

JC

Great story. 

Sounds like Zu is the speaker equivalent of Schiit Audio are they still a vaiable company and why aren’ they more ‘visible’?

39 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

Sounds like Zu is the speaker equivalent of Schiit Audio are they still a vaiable company and why aren’ they more ‘visible’?

reasonable analogy, though not quite: Zu doesn't mass manufacture $99 DACs ... Everything they make is top quality all made in Ogden. As to why they aren't more visible, I hinted at in my brief memo: short story is that like any small company, they cater to a very specific crowd; unlike Schiit which sells $99 DACs to john-dough-music-dude, even Omen Dirty weekends at $999 are massive dollar spend for that same $99 DAC customer. The air gets thinner the higher up you go - Druid V at $5k is a major investment for anyone outside of audio, heck, even inside of audio. 

1 hour ago, bobbmd said:

I think you might be more than a bit surprised at how much business Zu does, or, for that matter Schiit. These are companies that do very well, and do not have any great need to advertise or promote themselves. They are already selling at the rate they can effectively supportPerhaps it has never occurred to you that in many instances, those audio companies who are extremely visible and have ads in every audio publication must do that to generate business.

In many other fields, visible companies who advertise freely and will do anything to promote themselves are to be avoided at all costs. Thats especially true in the wine business, the beer business and in law/legal and medical venues. If you have to advertise, you're already a low end product, at best.

JC

I am on my second set of Zu speakers, my son is loving my original Zu Essence speakers, and I am still in love with my Druid V speakers + UnderTone Sub. Seeing that the Druid is now at VI, and they were a great cable company even before that, Zu has been around a good while, and weathered more than one economic downturn.

Sean and his team are very personable, easy to talk to, and absolutely LOVE music. If I ever feel then need to upgrade my speakers, I will be looking at the newest Zu offering before looking elsewhere.

Zu Wall 2019.jpg

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > McIntosh MC60 > Zu Druid V + Undertone (BHSE + Voce)

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > K&K Audio Phono Amp (Zu DL-103/Benz Glider-SL/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones

My Dad’s MC60s. I had them restored, as one was not working. New tubes also. They sound terrific. The Zu Druids are sensitive enough, that some work was needed with the hum and gain pots.

I was also able to do a bit of room correction with the gain controls. You can just see the hallway entrance at the left of the picture. I had been using Roon for balancing the sound, I could make the left side a bit louder with the gain controls, and relieve Roon of that work. Plus, it’s balanced for all my sources now, not just the digital through Roon.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > McIntosh MC60 > Zu Druid V + Undertone (BHSE + Voce)

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > K&K Audio Phono Amp (Zu DL-103/Benz Glider-SL/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

I remember when they stired up the market with the original Druid. Sub $2k and great sound. 15 years on the Druid is a $10k affair...

A successful brand story indeed. 

As much as i liked these speakers with alt rock and darker pop they never worked for me with Jazz or more complex classical. Some reviewers said the Druid VI can do classical - anybody able to chime in on this? Thx!

I have the last years model, but I find Jazz sublime. Not well enough versed to answer on the classical.

19 minutes ago, Bones13 said:

I have the last years model, but I find Jazz sublime. Not well enough versed to answer on the classical.

Cool - Druid V? 

Could you elaborate a bit on the jazz styles you listen to? Small ensemble, slow and minute or also faster, more energetic stuff?

19 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

As much as i liked these speakers with alt rock and darker pop they never worked for me with Jazz or more complex classical. Some reviewers said the Druid VI can do classical - anybody able to chime in on this? Thx!

Indeed... here is a very long and perhaps the most detailed review of D6 by longtime Zu advocate and customer... I've known Phil for almost as long as Sean. Solid info and deets - review was posted just a week or so ago:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/zu-druid-6

On 4/8/2019 at 5:19 AM, Bones13 said:

My Dad’s MC60s. I had them restored, as one was not working. New tubes also. They sound terrific. The Zu Druids are sensitive enough, that some work was needed with the hum and gain pots.

Right, MC60... nice! I just got a pair of MC75s fully restored not that long ago... Then I ended up with a matching C20 pre. Lovely combo!