IGNORED

Nagra Lithium Battery Power Pack

59 minutes ago, Miska said:

How about cars. You buy the physically exact same car in various engine powers. Only difference are software parameters in the ECU. That's why I selected my car, I saved 3500 EUR for physically exactly same car, and for 500 EUR I can get ECU parameters tuned for higher power than the 3500 EUR more expensive model. And there are much bigger differences in other car brands.

Higher power levels usually have larger diameter exhausts, different braking system setups, stronger clutches, different radiator/oil cooler ratings to deal with the extra heat, better wheels, better tires.  Wheels and tires will run you $2-3K right there.  I remapped my rx-8 and picked up some power, but too much heat so i flashed back.  The second you remap spark/fuel you also void your warranty immediately which most aren't willing to do.  That at least makes higher price points tolerable in the car market, you still have your warranty.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I wonder how it would look like to have a Bosch drill battery attached into high-end professional audio recorder... :D

And power tools have the charging device as a separate device where you attach the battery, usually not built-in. Not that it costs much.

OTOH, iFi is selling quite reasonably priced battery powered audio devices. But then the battery is integrated inside the device and not user-replaceable at all.

But overall, some hundred EUR/USD/GBP for battery pack for a professional recorder is IMO not something that will make notable impact in the end. One probably lasts couple of years of professional use, so not a big issue. Spending half a day trying to get a cheaper one costs more than the original battery pack.

The one thing you didn't ech from my previous posts is that Nagra could have, and perhaps did, buy their batteries from the same place that Bosch does.  I dunno - maybe they are very special Panasonic Batteries like Tesla uses.  But maybe not.

19 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Higher power levels usually have larger diameter exhausts, different braking system setups, stronger clutches, different radiator/oil cooler ratings to deal with the extra heat, better wheels, better tires.  Wheels and tires will run you $2-3K right there.  I remapped my rx-8 and picked up some power, but too much heat so i flashed back.  The second you remap spark/fuel you also void your warranty immediately which most aren't willing to do.  That at least makes higher price points tolerable in the car market, you still have your warranty.

I know many cases where they are physically exactly the same (it is cheaper for the manufacturer that way). My Volvo being one example. Manufacturers like Volvo offer their own tunings with quite a bit of extra price. Like Volvo offers Polestar with 1500 EUR price. Warranty was two years and that has gone already anyway. Before that I had a Mini which I tuned with Superchips and also the fuel consumption went down by 0.5 l/100km, I used it for 12 years before switching to Volvo. I can drive the two year warranty time with standard setup, no problem, then I can drive 10 years with tuned up version... ;)

Wheels and tires are anyway up to what you decide when you make order, I have huge number of options allowed by the certification/registration. Tires are replaced every 3-5 years anyway. Tires/wheels are small price compared to many other options you choose for your custom order.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

The one thing you didn't ech from my previous posts is that Nagra could have, and perhaps did, buy their batteries from the same place that Bosch does.  I dunno - maybe they are very special Panasonic Batteries like Tesla uses.  But maybe not.

If you watched the video, they use Sanyo. But that doesn't have much to do with cost of the entire physical thing...

I agree that the second the party is over with warranty go for it.  Second mine was up, clutch, ignition system, braking system all went aftermarket.  Wheels and tires upgrade price hurt pretty bad at $3k right after I got it, but made the biggest difference in driveability.  Tried the remap, but if I was going to bother really tuning it i would boost it.

Haven't seen/heard too much with the factory remaps here in the states, that's interesting.  Also seems a bit of a self defeating business decision like you are saying, why pay extra?  Here in the states dealers can run afoul of DMCA if they offer remapping.  Some mfgs claim that you are de-compiling copyrighted material.  Shops that offer high end tunes for BMW and Mercedes have received notices.

16 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

I agree that the second the party is over with warranty go for it.  Second mine was up, clutch, ignition system, braking system all went aftermarket.  Wheels and tires upgrade price hurt pretty bad at $3k right after I got it, but made the biggest difference in driveability.  Tried the remap, but if I was going to bother really tuning it i would boost it.

Haven't seen/heard too much with the factory remaps here in the states, that's interesting.  Also seems a bit of a self defeating business decision like you are saying, why pay extra?  Here in the states dealers can run afoul of DMCA if they offer remapping.  Some mfgs claim that you are de-compiling copyrighted material.  Shops that offer high end tunes for BMW and Mercedes have received notices.

Mine has automatic transmission (from Aisin) with Haldex AWD. Engine is two liter turbo petrol. Everything else is just software. You can tune up things with software in cars just like you can do in audio with DACs. ;) Everything is "software defined" these days.

BMW is also offering number of tuning stages for their M-things. And you can find quite a bunch of third party tunings, intercoolers, exhausts and such for those. I have Akrapović exhaust on my bike, but they also make nice ones for cars as well. One of the brilliant things they have is tunable sound: http://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/sound-kit

99% of car owners don't know about such things anyway...

Here if manufacturers try to restrict third parties they end up in court for attempt to limit competition and free market... For example here it is strictly defined that anybody can service your car, it doesn't have to be "official" and it cannot void the warranty if service is done properly. Otherwise manufacturer has to be able to show in court that the "improper service" was actual cause of the failure. And I guess Apple is facing similar in US regarding "right to repair".

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

For example here it is strictly defined that anybody can service your car, it doesn't have to be "official" and it cannot void the warranty if service is done properly

The same applies in Australia these days.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

but is it a high-spec. unit?  is there extra QC?  etc.

Looks like a decent piece to me. So I fail to see any problem with it. If you don't agree about the price, you can always make your own battery pack instead, or try to find one manufactured by some third party.