IGNORED

OT: Does this tweet/article about crypto claim too much?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

The work they've done is most likely good. It's the reporting that's overblown. Near as I can tell, the project involves formal verification techniques to ensure that the software implementation is actually equivalent to the specification. To a limited extent, this can even extend to compiled code. While it indisputably avoids certain kinds of bugs (e.g. accidentally referring to the wrong variable), it provides no guarantees that the specification is sound. If they've found a way to prove that a crypto algorithm is secure, I'll be impressed, and even then there are still places where bugs can be hiding. The verifier itself comes to mind, as does the hardware.

I think I recall NASA doing something similar (regarding formal verification, including compiled code).

What was the email program that had a bounty for security holes, and it was at least disputed whether some had been found and the developer had refused to acknowledge/pay?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.