IGNORED

Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings

28 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

I've just downloaded this great album from HDTracks in 24/192. It covers everything John Coltrane recorded in 1958 in chronological order and lasts for over 5 hours. For once, the digital download is a bargain, it is normally 33 pounds from HDTracks UK, but they are doing a 10% discount until the end of March, and so I got it for only 28 pounds. The CD and vinyl editions come with a book, and unfortunately you don't get a PDF of that with the download. But the CD boxed set is 85 pounds, and the vinyl boxed set is 220 pounds. Here is a video of the producer describing the project:

http://mediakits.concordmusicgroup.com/p/coltrane-58/nick-phillips-interview-video.html

I haven't had time to listen to any of it yet, but I'm optimistic that it will be a high quality mastering.

$62.50 for the CD set at Amazon US. Probably worth it for the book, if you like that sort of thing. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, Richard Dale said:

It does say somewhere that the vinyl was mastered from the 24/192 version, and so I would be surprised if it was upsampled from 24/96. At 45 euros the Highresaudio download is more expensive than the HDTracks version.

Lots of records are mastered in different ways between analog and digital versions. Highresaudio is known for trying very hard to establish provenance of the files they are given. If they say the 192 k is an upsample, I’d believe them. I’ve learned never to assume that record labels will do the sensible and logical, or inform customers about info they should know. Just another reason to buy the even cheaper 96k version. Or listen on Qobuz. 

By the way, another example: The complete 6 disc version of the Allman Brother’s at Fillmore East was released in 192k. After many earlier adopters bought it, it turned out that the 192 was an upsample of the 96. How and why? The analog was digitized at 24/96. For mixing purposes, it was upsampled to 24/192. They then downsampled the result back to 24/96, but also marketed the original mix version in 24/192 -as if it was a “real” 192k version and charged more for it. 
Unfortunately, record labels do this kind of crap all the time, and I’m guessing a similar thing is going on here. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

9 minutes ago, PAP said:

Is the CD booklet available on line?

Doesn’t look like it. I’m thinking of ordering the CD box. You get the book, and in this case i doubt there will be any difference in SQ. 

I’m also not seeing it available for purchase in Qobuz, I wonder why?

26 minutes ago, rwwjr44 said:

From prostudiomasters.com 

96 kHz / 24-bit PCM – Craft Recordings Studio Masters

Tracks 1-37 – contains high-resolution digital transfers of material originating from an analogue master source
Tracks 6-10 – 48 kHz / 24-bit PCM, mastered in 192 kHz / 24-bit, 96 kHz / 24-bit
Tracks 11-15 – 44.1 kHz / 24-bit PCM, mastered in 192 kHz / 24-bit, 96 kHz / 24-bit

Even more of a reason to just by the CD box set and get the book. I really doubt you will be able to hear any difference between the CD's and the "hi-res". 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mkrzych said:

BTW, anyone knows if any chance to get the PDF version of the booklets provided for CD or vinyl box?

Haven’t seen it anywhere, so I doubt it. Unfortunately, only classical labels seem to do this with any regularity.