miguelito

Sony WH-1000xm3 firmware - Noise cancelling issues

Rate this topic

On 5/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, firedog said:

https://drop.com/buy/sony-wh-1000xm3-wireless-headphones#overview

too bad they haven't solved the issue, as they are on sale for $280. 

Can you believe there are 498 signees on the petition, and I have been posting to twitter, and yet zero response from Sony?

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock >

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

I was checking the Sony community post yesterday and found a reference to Reddit where apparently a route back from 4.11 to 2.00 was to be found.

Here is the url I found but you will need to scroll a long way through it to get to the procedure. I havn't had time to look into it yet but some owners report back after having done the firmware downgrade - it made a difference to some but not others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/akynjz/psa_the_new_sony_wh1000xm3_firmware_v411_is/

6 hours ago, Quad 405 said:

I was checking the Sony community post yesterday and found a reference to Reddit where apparently a route back from 4.11 to 2.00 was to be found.

Here is the url I found but you will need to scroll a long way through it to get to the procedure. I havn't had time to look into it yet but some owners report back after having done the firmware downgrade - it made a difference to some but not others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/akynjz/psa_the_new_sony_wh1000xm3_firmware_v411_is/

Thank you. That worked. I was able to downgrade the WH-1000xm3 to firmware version 2.0.0.

system pics

So if I understand that site correctly, it’s just a matter of downloading the file and then using it to “update” the headphones’ firmware?

Did the phones return to their previous sound quality?

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

41 minutes ago, firedog said:

So if I understand that site correctly, it’s just a matter of downloading the file and then using it to “update” the headphones’ firmware?

Did the phones return to their previous sound quality?

It's a little more elaborate than that... 

You download this python script. Requires that you have python 3 installed in your machine (which I do, on a Mac). You run that python script and it will serve what looks like Sony's firmware url on port 1337. The firmware itself is in the script. Separately on an iOS (or Android) device, you configure the proxy to point to your machine's IP, and port 1337. Then on the iOS device you run Sony's Headphone app - which will now think it is time to update the firmware on your headphone (which you must have paired with your iOS device). So just go through the "update" and you end up with firmware version 2.0.0. Once done just kill the python process on your computer and remove the proxy setting on your iOS device. Not hard, not for everyone either.

Yes, the phones are as per firmware 2.0.0 sound quality and noise cancelling.

system pics

15 minutes ago, miguelito said:

You run that python script and it will serve what looks like Sony's firmware url on port 1337

And from this one learns that the firmware updates are independent of app updates (this was not obvious to me before).

system pics

50 minutes ago, PAP said:

This guy did not have a problem.

But he really doesn't talk about music/audio quality with the update.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)