IGNORED

Sony WH-1000xm3 firmware - Noise cancelling issues

On 5/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, firedog said:

https://drop.com/buy/sony-wh-1000xm3-wireless-headphones#overview

too bad they haven't solved the issue, as they are on sale for $280. 

Can you believe there are 498 signees on the petition, and I have been posting to twitter, and yet zero response from Sony?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I was checking the Sony community post yesterday and found a reference to Reddit where apparently a route back from 4.11 to 2.00 was to be found.

Here is the url I found but you will need to scroll a long way through it to get to the procedure. I havn't had time to look into it yet but some owners report back after having done the firmware downgrade - it made a difference to some but not others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/akynjz/psa_the_new_sony_wh1000xm3_firmware_v411_is/

6 hours ago, Quad 405 said:

I was checking the Sony community post yesterday and found a reference to Reddit where apparently a route back from 4.11 to 2.00 was to be found.

Here is the url I found but you will need to scroll a long way through it to get to the procedure. I havn't had time to look into it yet but some owners report back after having done the firmware downgrade - it made a difference to some but not others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/akynjz/psa_the_new_sony_wh1000xm3_firmware_v411_is/

Thank you. That worked. I was able to downgrade the WH-1000xm3 to firmware version 2.0.0.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

So if I understand that site correctly, it’s just a matter of downloading the file and then using it to “update” the headphones’ firmware?

Did the phones return to their previous sound quality?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

41 minutes ago, firedog said:

So if I understand that site correctly, it’s just a matter of downloading the file and then using it to “update” the headphones’ firmware?

Did the phones return to their previous sound quality?

It's a little more elaborate than that... 

You download this python script. Requires that you have python 3 installed in your machine (which I do, on a Mac). You run that python script and it will serve what looks like Sony's firmware url on port 1337. The firmware itself is in the script. Separately on an iOS (or Android) device, you configure the proxy to point to your machine's IP, and port 1337. Then on the iOS device you run Sony's Headphone app - which will now think it is time to update the firmware on your headphone (which you must have paired with your iOS device). So just go through the "update" and you end up with firmware version 2.0.0. Once done just kill the python process on your computer and remove the proxy setting on your iOS device. Not hard, not for everyone either.

Yes, the phones are as per firmware 2.0.0 sound quality and noise cancelling.

system pics

15 minutes ago, miguelito said:

You run that python script and it will serve what looks like Sony's firmware url on port 1337

And from this one learns that the firmware updates are independent of app updates (this was not obvious to me before).

system pics

27 minutes ago, miguelito said:

You download this python script.

From here: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/sfRxbYVZrF/

DISCLAIMER: I take absolutely no responsibility for your actions! :)

system pics

• 5 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, PAP said:

This guy did not have a problem.

But he really doesn't talk about music/audio quality with the update.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 5 weeks later...

Over 1,000 customers have signed this petition!!!

Not a peep from Sony!!!

system pics

On 7/7/2019 at 5:52 PM, PAP said:

No but the issue was that some people felt the noise cancellation worked less after the firmware update.

Correct. It does. I downgraded to v2.0.0 and noise cancelling went back to normal. I have the first version of this headphone as a reference point so it is not placebo. 

system pics

6 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Correct. It does. I downgraded to v2.0.0 and noise cancelling went back to normal. I have the first version of this headphone as a reference point so it is not placebo. 

7 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Over 1,000 customers have signed this petition!!!

Not a peep from Sony!!!

I’m guessing that Sony doesn’t think there’s a problem, and so they don’t feel there is anything to respond to. In the YouTube video posted above the guy claims there is no difference in performance of the noise cancelling between the 2 versions. 

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I’m guessing that Sony doesn’t think there’s a problem, and so they don’t feel there is anything to respond to. In the YouTube video posted above the guy claims there is no difference in performance of the noise cancelling between the 2 versions. 

I can hear the difference. And so can very many people, just do a google search.

As for why Sony is not addressing the issue, I can think of many reasons:

1- They don't want to do the work to fix it

2- They will release a new product that will be "better than the old" but really the same as firmware v2.0.0 of the old

3- They had patent violation issues with Bose and thus had to remove some of the techniques in the noise cancellation algorithm

4- They just don't care about customer opinion - after all 1,000 customers seems like a low number

system pics

7 hours ago, miguelito said:

I can hear the difference. And so can very many people, just do a google search.

As for why Sony is not addressing the issue, I can think of many reasons:

1- They don't want to do the work to fix it

2- They will release a new product that will be "better than the old" but really the same as firmware v2.0.0 of the old

3- They had patent violation issues with Bose and thus had to remove some of the techniques in the noise cancellation algorithm

4- They just don't care about customer opinion - after all 1,000 customers seems like a low number

I have Sony DSLR cameras (A350, A550, A580) and DAPs (ZX1 & ZX2) and the consensus on the forums is that

"Sony is smarter and more technical than you/everyone so firmware upgrades are only for specific defects...not to provide customer wants.  That is for the next version which you can purchase."

So perhaps a combination of #2 & #3.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just bought a pair anyway, b/c they were the least expensive high end BT and noise cancelling headphone available where I live. I have a big overseas trip coming up with lots of planes, trains, and busses, so I really wanted some good noise cancellers. 

Don’t have anything similar to compare them to, but I listened to them sitting directly under a blowing AC unit, and they totally blocked the sound of the AC. SQ was reasonable. 

On 9/1/2019 at 2:26 PM, firedog said:

Well, I just bought a pair anyway, b/c they were the least expensive high end BT and noise cancelling headphone available where I live. I have a big overseas trip coming up with lots of planes, trains, and busses, so I really wanted some good noise cancellers. 

Don’t have anything similar to compare them to, but I listened to them sitting directly under a blowing AC unit, and they totally blocked the sound of the AC. SQ was reasonable. 

I just bought a pair also due to what looks like impending failure of my wired ATH noise cancelling head phones. I cannot really speak much to the SQ of the phones yet as I am sure they need break-in but the ANC is remarkable. It is like being in an anechoic chamber. My wife can be two feet from me speaking in a normal voice and I cannot hear her. My ATHs had excellent SQ but mediocre ANC, mainly good for typical airplane engine noise. I can't even imagine how good the 2.0 version was.

How long have users found break-in to take? Currently the sound is a bit constricted and slightly muffled. The sound is also a bit bass heavy which makes them a bit "HiFi" for me. I prefer neutral, natural, and accurate to the source.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 9/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, mourip said:

How long have users found break-in to take? Currently the sound is a bit constricted and slightly muffled. The sound is also a bit bass heavy which makes them a bit "HiFi" for me. I prefer neutral, natural, and accurate to the source.

i don't think there's much if any break-in with them.  i agree that they do sound a bit bass heavy and muffler.  i use poweramp as a music player and i use the equalizer to cut down the bass some.

i don't think you'll every find these to be neutral and/or natural.  what they are is "nice" sounding, comfortable, and have good anc.  i tend to use them on planes listening to music and/or movies.  in that environment, these do exactly what i need them to do -- make flying a bit more tolerable.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks. This is about where I am now also. My wired AudioTechnica's sound really great but are dying. I find the Sony's to be a bit "HiFi" sounding. I tried ATH's new Bluetooth phones but the ear cups are much smaller. I guess that I need to accept these as a good compromise for airline travel and use wired phones for music elsewhere.

They are remarkable for ANC. Much better than my ATH's

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, occamsrazor said:

I just purchased a pair of these but am yet to receive them. I see that firmware is now at version 4.2.2.... has this fixed the issue? Did the workaround in post #44 above do the job?

I also have a later model, but I'm happy with them. Haven't compared them to earlier firmware, but I don't care. The ANC is fantastic, and as far as SQ they are fine. Not great, but fine. I'm happy with them the way they are.