miguelito

Sony WH-1000xm3 firmware - Noise cancelling issues

Rate this topic

The Sony WH-1000xm3 was the best active noise cancelling headphone around - until Sony updated to firmware 4.1.1 in January. 

There's quite the uproar all over but Sony has not yet fixed the issue. 

Someone has started a petition to prompt Sony to fix the issue. If you are experiencing this issue, please consider signing the petition:

http://chng.it/mLwLcb2M5M

Thx!

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock >

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

Not good to hear, as I'm considering buying a pair. Maybe I'll wait till I hear they've fixed the issue.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have found the sound quality to be great, supports pretty much all codecs (including LDAC, which sounds amazing on the Sony ZX2), and the ANC WAS amazing.

Firmare 4.1.1 truly screwed up ANC. I have two WH-1000xm3 and one WI-1000x - same issue in all of them.

So bottomline, I would wait to see if Sony is serious about customer service!

system pics

BTW... I have owned all three versions of this headphone. I still have v1. It used to be that v3 had much better ANC than v1. After the firmware it is worse than v1. So my comparison is objective.

system pics

17 hours ago, One and a half said:

If a store has build dates before Jan 19, good chance to escape the problem. Is that normally printed on the box somewhere with Sony product?

Pretty sure firmware version is not printed on the box. What you want to look for is support for Alexa advertised on the box. Firmware 4.1.1 was the first to support Alexa.

By the way, support for Google Assistant was already there with firmware 2.0, without an adverse effect to active noise cancellation, so I don't think it is a compromise to accommodate Alexa that resulted in a much reduced active noise cancellation.

system pics

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

Pretty sure firmware version is not printed on the box. What you want to look for is support for Alexa advertised on the box. Firmware 4.1.1 was the first to support Alexa.

By the way, support for Google Assistant was already there with firmware 2.0, without an adverse effect to active noise cancellation, so I don't think it is a compromise to accommodate Alexa that resulted in a much reduced active noise cancellation.

Thanks for the tip on the Alexa support (to be avoided for now).

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Sony used to such a reliable company.

My old sony professional tape machine still works, so does my minidisk and mp3 player.

But my phone had problems, so did my sons phone and the phones of several colleagues.

And no support from Sony what so ever.

I think I will stay away from them until I hear that they have improved their costumer service.

4 minutes ago, PAP said:

Sony used to such a reliable company.

My old sony professional tape machine still works, so does my minidisk and mp3 player.

But my phone had problems, so did my sons phone and the phones of several colleagues.

And no support from Sony what so ever.

I think I will stay away from them until I hear that they have improved their costumer service.

Probably wise. 

Those affected by this firmware flop: please sign the petition:

http://chng.it/mLwLcb2M5M

system pics

I am glad that my headphones have the older firmware, they are truly excellent headphones in this segment. Perfect travel headphones for me.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > McIntosh MC60 > Zu Druid V + Undertone (BHSE + Voce)

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > K&K Audio Phono Amp (Zu DL-103/Benz Glider-SL/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones

On 4/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, Bones13 said:

I am glad that my headphones have the older firmware, they are truly excellent headphones in this segment. Perfect travel headphones for me.

Yes, they WERE in my case. Do not update.

BTW... There are 194 signatures in the petition already. Consider that each one of those 194 could make 5 people in their network not buy these headphones, each one of those 5 could influence 3 more, and each one of those could influence 2 more. That's a total of 9,700 sales lost.

And I am pretty sure I am being conservative as those signing are the most angry. If there are 400 pissed customers, that's a total of 20,000 lost sales.

system pics

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Yes, they WERE in my case. Do not update.

BTW... There are 194 signatures in the petition already. Consider that each one of those 194 could make 5 people in their network not buy these headphones, each one of those 5 could influence 3 more, and each one of those could influence 2 more. That's a total of 9,700 sales lost.

And I am pretty sure I am being conservative as those signing are the most angry. If there are 400 pissed customers, that's a total of 20,000 lost sales.

Has Sony reacted to this issue publicly anywhere?

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

7 hours ago, firedog said:

Has Sony reacted to this issue publicly anywhere?

Not to my knowledge, aside from a few "social media support" moderators on the Sony forums. 

BTW... There are 200 signatures on the petition already.

system pics

58 minutes ago, PAP said:

I didn't buy the headphones so I guess I can't sign the petition, even though I'd like to.

Don’t understand. As a potential buyer you have every right to tell Sony you’d like the ANC to perform as it did before. That’s what got you interested in the unit when you read reviews, etc. 

The petition has 211 signatures already. However, I have not seen any engagement whatsoever from Sony support, only Sony social media support - which is obviously worthless.

Any pointers on how to get Sony's tech support to address this? I'm not convinced they even know about the uproar.

system pics

system pics

Does the one model down, the H900 have the same issue?

I don't understand this. When did headphones start to need updates? And how is an update loaded onto a headphone? This seems very bizarre to me.

My Sennheiser headphones say nothing about updates. I don't understand how an update can improve the sound quality of a physical product such as headphones, speakers, amps, etc.

My Blu-ray / SACD universal player can do updates if I connect it to the internet. I refuse to connect it to the internet and so far all Blu-ray's play perfectly. Does that Sony noise cancelling headphone connect to the internet and why?

In short I don't understand why physical products other than computers need updates. It just seems so bizarre to me. Please help me understand this need.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

2 hours ago, Teresa said:

I don't understand this. When did headphones start to need updates? And how is an update loaded onto a headphone? This seems very bizarre to me.

My Sennheiser headphones say nothing about updates. I don't understand how an update can improve the sound quality of a physical product such as headphones, speakers, amps, etc.

My Blu-ray / SACD universal player can do updates if I connect it to the internet. I refuse to connect it to the internet and so far all Blu-ray's play perfectly. Does that Sony noise cancelling headphone connect to the internet and why?

In short I don't understand why physical products other than computers need updates. It just seems so bizarre to me. Please help me understand this need.

These are heaphones with a  noise reduction DSP function. Lots of the features are software based. So they have firmware and software that can be updated. So updates, just like with DACs that do their work thru software and not a DAC chip, can improve the sound or add features. Ask all the owners of the PS Audio DS DAC - pretty much all of them will tell you it has continually gotten better b/c of periodic improvements to the software that they download. It's essentially the equivalent of giving a typical DAC a new improved DAC chip. 
This is a great thing as long as the updates are tested properly before being sent to users. In this case it sounds like there was little or no testing. 

https://drop.com/buy/sony-wh-1000xm3-wireless-headphones#overview

too bad they haven't solved the issue, as they are on sale for $280.