IGNORED

Computeraudiophile name change

4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

If you guys all lived in MN, you could be outside on your deck, BBQing dinner, enjoying the beautiful sunny 68 degrees and low humidity, and arguing about audio wouldn't seem so important...

I can do that here without any black flies...

8 hours ago, extracampine said:

The problem here is the use of the term "style". This term serves to make our hobby sound superficial, image-oriented and somewhat ostentatious. The obvious connotation is to fashion - image-obsessed and transient. The use of this term here would seem to undermine the purpose of this site - taking the focus away from an approach based in science, electronics or computers and reinforcing the image of audiophiles being concerned with "style over substance". 

You've read into the name a bit differently than the true meaning I intended. Just like Apple doesn't sell fruit and McIntosh doesn't sell apples, names can be more than meets everyone's eyes. Style in the name Audiophile Style means a way or manner of doing things. We do things the audiophile way or audiophile style. My Uber driver today asked me abut audio systems. He had a Bose system in his Audi Q7. If he wanted to do it audiophile style he could install the Focal Utopia car audio system. 

Style in our sense has zero to do with fashion. My wife thinks my new Wilson Alexia Series 2 loudspeakers are the opposite of fashion. 

Style over substance is something that doesn't interest me. Trust me, there are sites that use science in the name that do very little science. The Christian Science Monitor has always been a name that confounds me. 

7 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Audiophilia can be just that to some.  Just have a look here and see how many times you encounter the word "style" in not only the marketing copy, but also the "articles".  And besides, "style" rhymes with "audiophile".  You didn't notice that? 🙂

Oh my, please tell me you weren't linking AS with anything at Tone Audio. I believe Jeff's use of the word style is completely opposite from my use of the word style. 

Yes, I love the way Audiophile Style flows off the tongue with a rhyme. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

42 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Christian Science Monitor has always been a name that confounds me. 

They are Christians, and they are monitoring what the naughty 'science' people are up to!  haha!  Sort of like the annoying "hall monitors" in elementary school, telling everyone to "go back and walk."  Do they still do that?  They also called the wretched little tattletales and budding control freaks "safeties."  Ugh.

The newspaper was okay, actually, if memory serves, as they didn't use it as a vehicle for their religious views.  Church of Christ, Scientist, generally called Christian Science.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

If you guys all lived in MN, you could be outside on your deck, BBQing dinner, enjoying the beautiful sunny 68 degrees and low humidity, and arguing about audio wouldn't seem so important...

I was comfortably BBQing at a friend's house on the holiday.  Mid-afternoon, humidity only in the high 60% range, and slightly below 95 degrees thankfully (Real Feel was only 101).  Didn't need to use much Off for the skeeters as the smoker was keeping them away.  No one was arguing about anything.  As long as the beer was cold it was easy to make it thru.  I was BBQing in style I suppose (though it never occurred to me).  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You've read into the name a bit differently than the true meaning I intended.

Thanks for your reply Chris, and yes I am sure that my interpretation was not the meaning you had intended. It was just the flavour I got from the name and quite possibly what some other perhaps more outside observers might glean from it also. I can see however how the original name ComputerAudiophile was starting to sound a little dated, as these days with the emergence of all manner of network audio devices the computer no longer holds the pivotal role that it once did, say in the era of the CAPS v1 developments! Perhaps the word "digital" might be more apt than "computer" these days.....DigitalAudiophile....hmmm....certainly doesn't rhyme very well.... ;) 

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

At its inception "Christian" Science Monitor held a similar meaning to the marketing term in audio holistic.  It's scope was examining the practice of good science as that fit with the morals and popular interests of the time. 

There are a lot of parallel lines with promoting honesty in audio by removing perpetration of myths and other forms of misinformation.  Or more positively, advancing musical reproduction techniques and knowledge of them in a clearly stated manner that instills the depth of genuine life affirming interest held by those ministering it.  :)

16 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh my, please tell me you weren't linking AS with anything at Tone Audio. I believe Jeff's use of the word style is completely opposite from my use of the word style. 

Yes, I love the way Audiophile Style flows off the tongue with a rhyme.

I'm not lumping you in there. But "style" is a big part of audiophilia.  Just look how many vendors use words like "bold", "striking", "visual beauty", "brilliant and gorgeous", "screams sophistication, obviously a luxury product" and much, much more.  The conspicuous consumption aspect of audiophilia cannot be denied.

31 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm not lumping you in there. But "style" is a big part of audiophilia.  Just look how many vendors use words like "bold", "striking", "visual beauty", "brilliant and gorgeous", "screams sophistication, obviously a luxury product" and much, much more.  The conspicuous consumption aspect of audiophilia cannot be denied.

I don’t disagree. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png