IGNORED

Article: APL Hi-Fi DSD-MR DAC and DNP-SR Streamer Full Review

"APL Hi-Fi obtains this sound by converting DSD to analog without altering the DSD data in any way and converting PCM to DSD128 or DSD256 (user selectable)."

Chris, did you compare converting PCM  to DSD128 vs. PCM to DSD256?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 hours ago, Perfect sense said:

As biased as I might be representing APL in Scandinavia, this is an amazing product which keeps beating all possible contenders coming through our showroom here in Stockholm from the big names. It strikes a perfect balance in between analytical and musical.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Marcus, can you or @The Computer Audiophile please clarify if APL will demo their products at HIGH END Munich in May?

Thanks

Matt

35 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

Most of your description of the APL DAC sounds very similar to my Lindemann Musicbook DSD 20, which is also claimed to sound very analog like. It also upsamples everything to DSD 128 or DSD 256 with a preamp and a builtin streamer. Apparently there's an upgrade coming soon too in the form of both hardware and software.

I do not think that both products are comparable, Lindemann uses AK4137 SRC for PCM to DSD conversion.

Not the best solution in my view.

Matt

On 3/29/2019 at 2:25 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

All good. What a product. I feel like I’ve been driving a Ferrari for the last couple months. 

Which DAC would be like driving a Koenigsegg Jesko?😎

Matt

12 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Those who drive Jesko would not care about DACs. To own a symphony orchestra or opera theater would be a better fit.

Certainly, but this was not my point.

According to Chris the DSD-MR is not perfect.

So is there a DAC which combines the virtues of the DSD-MR and some other top DACs?

Matt

3 hours ago, chrille said:

According to the designer behind that combo ie Dave/HMS, DSD is a fundamenally flawed format with limitations that can not ever be solved.

According to him he used a format identical to today's  DSD 256  already in the 1990s but later  abandoned it  because of its too many limitations.

I know what the mentioned designer thinks about DSD but the Chord products are not my cup of tea.

Further I would not regard DSD as a flawed format. Some excellent guys like @tailspn and @Miska are working with it.

I appreciate what Chris said about the emotional impact of the DSD-MR.

Maybe the mentioned issue can be solved in the next version of the DSD-MR.

Matt

7 hours ago, chrille said:

I suspect that maybe 32 or even 64 bits and a sampling rate of 768khz may be necessary to do it full justice.

That would be comparable to DSD512 or DSD1024 and in this case I would prefer DSD.

Matt