IGNORED

Computer Storage - Best Practices

8 hours ago, mansr said:

It has also not been confirmed, and won't be. A single test result proves nothing. That's all there is to say until substantial new information is obtained. Unfortunately, hauling my lab gear to your place isn't practical.

oh no - this single test result "proves" to xx level of significance that he could hear a difference in the 2 regimes

what we don't know was the cause - unfortunately, software settings differed, and that appears likely to have been the reason; it is certainly the most parsimonious mechanistic explanation

44 minutes ago, manisandher said:

The outputs were bit-identical.

Let me know if you're still finding this a difficult concept to grasp, and I'll try to put it more simply for you.

yeh - while you're at it, give the entire methodology so we can check this unusual result

you never did that in the whole, loooong thread

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

oh no - this single test result "proves" to xx level of significance that he could hear a difference in the 2 regimes

what we don't know was the cause - unfortunately, software settings differed, and that appears likely to have been the reason; it is certainly the most parsimonious mechanistic explanation

It's also possible that he simply got lucky. Given the odds involved, I'd consider that the more likely explanation.

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

you never did that in the whole, loooong thread

Wrong.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

7 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I can see this as a plausible explanation.

I would also like to highlight that this is completely different from what Alex is claiming  (identical files played under identical conditions sounding different on a consistent basis). 

Wake up !

IF the saved files were identical then they would sound identical. Clearly there ARE differences that the Checksums and other Binary checks are presently incapable of showing.

It has already been recently demonstrated that even .md5 checksums  can be fooled.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

IF the saved files were identical then they would sound identical. Clearly there ARE differences that the Checksums and other Binary checks are presently incapable of showing.

Does "identical" have a different meaning down under?

Bit identical files will sound identical if the mechanism, and procedure for playing them is absolutely identical. Change that process in what seems a trivial aspect could be enough to have an impact - e.g. comparing A to B, there should be an equal weighting to playing A, then B; versus, playing B, then A.

Time variant factors are a big part of hearing differences once setups are working to a certain level, and can be a nightmare to sort out, properly. There are obvious elements like how warmed up the speaker suspensions are, but just about every area of a rig can be sensitive to changes over time; unfortunately, right at the edge where sometimes it's hard to say what has changed - but, it is audible.

26 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Wake up !

It has already been recently demonstrated that even .md5 checksums  can be fooled.

I was referring to files that are identical when compared bit-by-bit to each others. This has nothing to do with checksums.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I was referring to files that are identical when compared bit-by-bit to each others. This has nothing to do with checksums.

Once again, WAKE UP !

According to presently accepted theory, if they are identical when compared bit by bit to each other, then the checksums WILL be identical too.

You need to do as I just suggested in my previous post. Forget the BINARY DATA checks and closely examine the actual digital stream waveforms.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

14 hours ago, mansr said:

It has also not been confirmed, and won't be. A single test result proves nothing. That's all there is to say until substantial new information is obtained. Unfortunately, hauling my lab gear to your place isn't practical.

Too bad.  You took part and allowed the single test to proceed. It is no use now to cry that the methodology was invalid, especially when it was conducted by an objectivist. 

Frankly, I am now inclined to believe that under some controlled condition there could be some difference that may be audible for many of the things that supposedly outside human hearing threshold. And i emphasize again, “ controlled condition”. 

I am glad that both of the manxx people did this test.  It is certainly a step in the right direction.

And that is true even if manxx #1 got lucky, or if some bias was present besides SQ or if the files really did sound different.

But if the files do have a different sound then that is an extraordinary result, and further investigation is needed.

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I am glad that both of the manxx people did this test

???

@Ralf11, where's your post talking about my stock gone?

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro