IGNORED

Computer Storage - Best Practices

If not too far off topic, I'd like to jump in here with a side question, having read Nenon's introductory summary post... In my living room system, I play music from a modified Oppo 203 (digital only) to a DirectStream dac (s/pdif and iFi spdif purifier w/SR4), and then onto ATC active floorstanders and JL Audio subs (+ better cables, power, etc.). While I have a slew of mostly older CDs, it's easier most of the time to play music files -- mostly flac, dsd, wav, w/ some mp3 -- either using a USB flash drive plugged into the 203 or, most frequently, an encased SSD connected to the 203 via a Totaldac USB cable/filter (the latter used to be part of my mostly disassembled desktop PC audio system). Control is via remotes (203, dac). In light of this thread, how would you see this use of USB/SSD? Keeping it simple so far, I don't have a streamer, and haven't set up a router extension to use the DirectStream's Bridge card to play music from my Win 10 laptop or iPad Mini. Thanks,

Better reiterate: The mod removed the Oppo's analog (dac) section, hence digital only. The SSD is connected to the Oppo via a (Totaldac) USB cable and sits on the top of a three level Salamander cabinet, on a different shelf than the Oppo.  It also has a couple of foam/rubber blocks underneath, so there is physical isolation (all components have some kind of isolation from the cabinet shelves they sit on). Supposedly, the iFi spdif purifier connected between Oppo and DirectStream dac also provides galvanic isolation, in addition to re-clocking.