IGNORED

Innuos Zenith mk2 or Zenith mk3

This is what the Zenith Mk2 looks like on the inside:

132ACDDA-DB7C-4B51-AEE8-DDF398B7F2DE.jpeg.f7b8bffe6c4c3761f2c0bcbd520ce561.jpeg

And now this is the Zenith SE

36B392DB-FDE5-4DEC-BC0C-37E986A25267.thumb.jpeg.99e0f2eb460accfdf9412f946ca509e9.jpeg

I don’t have a pic of the Zenith Mk3, but what follows is actually the less expensive Zen Mk3.  The Zenith has the same power supply board, but those empty spaces are filled so that there are three supplies in the Zenith vs two in the Zen.

7BCD2673-0490-497F-B8E1-B886896D1C53.thumb.jpeg.d3c3fea35c68a0b7c22ccbf9a8e9ce66.jpeg

To my eyes it appears that Sean Jacobs certainly had a hand in designing the Mk3’s power supplies.  

Darko reviewed the Zen Mk3.  You should check it out.  I can’t recall the exact wording, but he concluded that the Zen came awfully close to the SE.

https://darko.audio/2019/02/a-short-film-about-the-innuos-zen-mk3/

I own a Zenith Mk2, but plan to someday move to a Zenith Mk3.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2020 at 3:13 PM, your momo said:

Probably no need to open my Zen mk3, just looking again at John Darko's Zen mk3 review video where we see internal and the famous caps.

My conclusion is Zen mk3 has no Mundorf MLytic like Zenhit mk3, so yes - caps are different.

However the above Zen mk3 inside top picture is kind of cheating since this one use the Mundorf MLytic as my Zenhit mk3 top picture shows - probably a marketing leak 😉

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  It sounds like you have concluded that:

• The Zenith has better capacitors than the Zen
  • Some marketing photos showed the Zen as having the better capacitors as well, but those photos aren’t accurate 

Did I get that right?  

If so, it might be that the Zen Mk3 is using the same capacitors as the Zen Mk2, but it gets twice as many.  I think the photo that follows is the Zen Mk2.  Those two capacitors may represent a single power supply rail, while the Zen Mk3 gets two rails.  Both the Zenith Mk2 and Mk3 have three rails.  The Zenith Mk2 appears to have the same caps as in the Zen Mk2, but 6 instead of 2. As such, I will guess that with Mk3, the Zen gained an additional rail, while the Zenith gained better caps.  The Mk3 power supplies have clearly gained some additional improvements as well.

I just purchased a Zenith Mk3 to replace my Zenith Mk2.  I won’t have it until next week, but will be sure to share my impressions.

193E5487-D0BD-486D-BE3E-F392644611D2.thumb.jpeg.4ce741190975b96029dfac90682a8a59.jpeg

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, your momo said:

The old gen Logitech stuff has less crisp sound but can be run with an IR remote, so cool, so simple, so obvious.

I am able to use an IR remote to control Roon.  I have an old Mac set up to accept IR commands from one of those small aluminum Apple remotes.  The application Remote Buddy then controls Roon running on that Mac.   There is occasionally a delay but it gets the job done.  Nice for pausing playback or advancing to the next track. Roon on that Mac is acting only as a control app.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The motherboard is powered by a Sean Jacob’s designed power supply.  And in the Mk3, the supply had three rails.  The care taken throughout this execution could achieve that goal of an ultra-low noise USB.  Even the Zenith Mk2 seemed to achieve this as I found no further benefit from an ISO Regen, which had benefited even a device like the microRendu, which has a custom board.  

45 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

website says "new custom motherboard" - implies that they did.

He asked if they are designing their own motherboard.  I believe they are customizing a board they selected.  I’m not sure the distinction matters as whether or not they designed it doesn’t favor into whether USB is “ultra-low noise”.  Innuos meant that in a relative sense.