IGNORED

Innuos Zenith mk2 or Zenith mk3

Would jump on MK3 ...seems original MK2 magic just got improved with MK3.

When I did buy my ZEN Mk2, I listen first to ZENhit Mk2, playing my own FLAC files, it sounded good on a system and in a room that do not correspond to my home setups.
Saying crude, I was not impressed by the sound, it was not best listening of those very files, but was amazed by the easiness of use that Innuos offered. Therefore, I took ZEN Mk2 without even listening to it ...I was pretty convinced that this cannot sound bad at home.

Back home after 2h settling time, I connected the ZEN MK2 to my living room setup and it was clear after 20s that we have a winner ...never those files sounded so good in that room. And I was only using the Innuos as server to my streamer - DAC, through RJ-45 (Monster Cable) so nothing fancy.
In the meantime this unit moved down to my basement setup and brought significant improvement to my main system. I did also enjoy USB out direct to my DAC, which sound even more vivid than RJ-45 to streamer and then S/PDIF to my DAC - I sometimes prefer this more lay back presentation over the very analytic USB delivery.

End of last year I went to compare ZEN Mk3 to ZENhit MK3, again on a system and room that do not match my own. Both unit run same FLAC files from their own storage, same good USB cable was run sequentially during the comparison. Also both unit enjoy same good power cords, so a very fair comparison. Sound with ZEN was excellent, nothing evident was missing, however once we plug ZENhit it was clear that this guy is a level above. Bass fundament and detail just stepped up ...so I decided for a ZENhit MK3.

After baking in, I did obviously compare my good old ZEN Mk2 to ZENhit MK3, difference is evident in favor of the newcomer. Also I had opportunity to compare at my home with the ZEN MK3 of a friend of mine, but again ZENhit MK3 wins. We did also compare to my "old" ZEN Mk2 with new MK3 and there was no discussion, the new ZEN sounds better.

So in summary my experience is that order of arrival and price hierarchy is respected:

• The new beat the old and the uper range beat the lower one. Still ZEN is boxing above his range, I mean price difference between ZEN and ZENhit is not reflecting the sound gap size.
  • Main problem at the moment seems to get Innuos units as it took three months between my MK3 order and delivery. So if you see one unit available in a store, just buy it...
  • 1 year later...

It's hard to state as I didn't compare Zenhit mk2 vs Zen mk3 on same system.

However I was pretty impressed by the Zen mk3 when listened on my home setup against my good old Zen mk2. The gap is significant, for me Zen mk3 is excellent value, it use same power supply as Zenhit mk3 minus one rail due to no SSD. For me SSD is not worth the extra cost up as Zen is inaudible 2m away when in use.

So it's your money and ears to decide, I wouldn't be surprised Zenhit mk2 still has a tinny edge over Zen mk3 that could be heard in a revealing system...

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, RedDogCo said:

The difference between Zen MK3 and Zenith MK3 as stated above is not entirely correct... See the review by Hans Beekhuyzen (my post just above).

Thanks

The point is, now I'm lucky enough to own both Zen and Zenhit in mk3 version. Sound wise the Zenhit is above, no debate. Is it worth de extra money this is up to everyones priority ?

Regarding the HW differences I would still stick on, aside one rail and an SSD, there is no extra. The reviewer is a good talker, but I already had to open my Zenhit and I have seen the caps, to me based on Zen mk3 picture they are same brand and spec.

I might open my Zen too if this becomes a must...

Probably no need to open my Zen mk3, just looking again at John Darko's Zen mk3 review video where we see internal and the famous caps.

My conclusion is Zen mk3 has no Mundorf MLytic like Zenhit mk3, so yes - caps are different.

However the above Zen mk3 inside top picture is kind of cheating since this one use the Mundorf MLytic as my Zenhit mk3 top picture shows - probably a marketing leak 😉

Attached, my Zenhit mk3 inside & cap as well as John D, Zen mk3 cap view from his video

ZHmk3.jpg

ZHmk3Caps.jpg

Zmk3Caps.jpg

@RedDogCoI don't run Roon, just use the LMS as provided by Innuos - so I can also enjoy my old SlimDevices/Logitech products.

Most of time in my main setup (Zenhit) I use USB out direct to my DAC, this provides best sound - Just it requires the use of a smartphone, tablet or PC to control the music.

The old gen Logitech stuff has less crisp sound but can be run with an IR remote, so cool, so simple, so obvious.

I don't know about system size but my 2TB SSD version is offering 1'700GB for music storage.

@kennyb123 Yes that's right Zen mk3 looks to use same caps as mk2. However mk3 use exact same PWA and BOM (diode, regs, ..etc) bar the 4x big Electrolyte that are not the Mundorf used in Zenhit mk3 only.

Zen mk3 also has only two rails due to no 5V SSD, so MCU has one specific rail and HDD/CD, ..etc get another rail.

Mk3 line went one step over mk2, so you made a good move ...enjoy !