IGNORED

iTunes tries to copy 100s of songs every time I sync iPod Classic

Thanks, Kirk.I unchecked sync music, synced, rechecked sync music and resynced.  At first that seemed to solve my problem. But then I started to see iTunes syncing songs again, and the same number I was seeing before on each sync, 141 (out of around 7500 synced to iPod Classic out of 84,000 songs in my iTunes library. There are also 15,000 podcast episodes.  (I'm all set if I find myself stranded on a desert island with my Mac, iPod, and a power source)

I next deleted a number of smart playlists that were variations on "new last xx days" After several test syncs, songs are not being resynced each time now. So maybe something got broken in one of those time-based smart playlists or they were conflicting with each other somehow?

Kirk, when you said above, "...when I synced music to iPods." that had me l taking another look at my copy of Take Control of iTunes 12, to see what i could figure out what you do instead. Do you use iCloud Music Library with on IOS for playing music on the go? 

I still love my iPod Classic, which I sync music and audio podcasts via USB with iTunes 12.9.2.5. After many years of use, i have never even come close to running down the battery unless i accidentally left if playing in my pocket for a really really long time. I also sync some music and some podcasts to my iPhone 6s, for some situations. But The Classic is still my go-to portable player. I guess that makes me old-school.

BTW thanks for keeping your forum going.

Cheers,
Kenji

In general, the next option is to restore the device. What I think happens is that the database on the device gets corrupted. In some cases, just un-syncing then re-syncing fixes it, but if not, you need to restore to wipe the database entirely. 

I don't see how removing smart playlists would affect individual songs, but it might have removed issues in the database, as I mention above. 

My main library is on my iMac, and I don't use iCloud Music Library with it; I have a second library on my MacBook Pro which does use iCloud Music Library, so I can access music on my iPhone or iPad. I really don't want the hassle of syncing any more, especially since much of what I listen to is available from Apple Music. The MBP library contains a lot of music that isn't on APM that I do want available on my portably devices. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

• 3 years later...

I am having a similar problem, no resolution yet. 

My situation: I use an iPhone 7 for music which I sync with my MBP via USB. I had avoided making the switch from iTunes to the new Music app for as long as possible cause I knew there would be issues. Now I've bought a new MBP which is running Monterey, so no more iTunes and hello Music app. Boy are there issues!

So I have the same main bug as Kenji reported -- every time I sync, it basically copies my entire music library over again. I have tried every solution I could find here or in the Apple support forums: I unselected sync music then synced and reselected and synced again. I checked on album artwork. I tried restoring from backup. Then I tried a factory reset. None of it helped. 

I suspect there's an issue with my Music library resulting from the switch from iTunes to Music but no idea what specifically. I've reorganized my library, that didn't help either. 

Any help provided would be much appreciated!