IGNORED

Merging Anubis

1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

Yikes. Technically they only support up to Catalina though LOL. 

Yes. Even though Merging says this:

"Note: certified on High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina  up to 10.15.7
Warning: macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon and recent Mac 10Gb network interfaces not supported (1Gb adapter required), do not update until further notice."

I still had to try using Big Sur. It's just in my DNA :~)

2 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Who would have thought, Windows to the rescue LOL.

First time in my life!

3 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Do let us know how you go with MAD on Windows !

If you can get everything done for your Podcast without issues.

So far it's fantastic, not only for sound quality, but it enables me to do things that guests can't and I couldn't do with a more traditional interface. 

With MAD on Windows Merging says I can pipe audio from another app over through the driver and have my podcast guests here this audio. I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but I will. I want to play a few audio clips for people while I interview them and this would be fantastic. 

The other way I tried is by connecting my phone to other inputs of the Anubis.

3 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

You're officially the forums 'Pro Audio User' now LOL

HA!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

And are you powering Anubis over ethernet POE+ ?

I demo'ed Anubis last year but will be going ahead with a purchase soon.

I'll use a POE+ injector. I don't need a full POE+ switch.

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/accessory/tl-poe160s/

I'm not, but I probably will use it via PoE very soon. There's really no reason for me to use an external power supply. I already have PoE switches, so I could really just remove the power cable :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

One  thing I was going to ask you to test @The Computer Audiophile but you can't really now that you killed VAD after upgrading to 11.2

When I demo'ed Anubis, I couldn't get Tidal Desktop app to work with 'Exclusive Mode' with the macOS VAD driver...

As you can expect, I got dead silence from Tidal support - they had no idea what Ravenna was, which is understandable I guess. It's not mainstream.

If you get things working on macOS again, can you confirm 'Exclusive Mode' works fine with Tidal Desktop apps on both Windows and hopefully macOS ?

And I guess Qobuz Desktop app while you're at it too.

Roon worked fine for me when I tested, both Windows and macOS.

No rush, only when you have a chance.

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Rather than just reinstall the driver, I removed it then reinstalled it. 

Nice!

Any chance to quickly check Tidal & Qobuz Desktop apps, on both macOS 11.2 and Win10?

Only to check if the Exclusive Mode works for both apps, with VAD and MAD.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:49 PM, Miska said:

PoE will naturally break the galvanic isolation Ethernet would otherwise have. But it doesn't affect radio emissions because it is DC voltage and the Ethernet signal itself is is differential on the twisted pair unaffected by the DC offset.

Hi @Miska when I look at the attached, where is the galvanic isolation technically broken? Or does this image not really show it?

Is it where the voltage loop formed by the +/- shown for both Mode A and Mode B? That's the phantom power similarity you mentioned?

image.thumb.png.1339ef76a26b385807687277f6d73562.png

Currently demo'ing Anubis once again so I can answer some of the questions I asked @The Computer Audiophile

Testing Tidal Desktop and Qobuz Desktop on Win10 - MAD exclusive mode is broken on both.

I've used around 20 USB DACs fine with those apps before, with no issues.

Disappointing. If you leave it fixed at 44.1k or 48k there's no issues. But auto sample rate switching no work.

Hopefully Roon works properly. It was working last year with ASIO driver (before MAD existed), so I'll test MAD now. Hopefully that hasn't gone backwards.

I can't test macOS unfortunately.

Scrap all that - Merging Support was first class. A classic class of user error (need minimum 64 channels I/O) and ASIO output to channels 1 and 2 (I had 7 and 8 stupidly thinking that was correct for headphones).

Everything is working beautifully in Roon and Qobuz Desktop apps - using ASIO driver for automatic sample rate switching.

image.thumb.png.483277a3895509cf23265b8ac9c99079.png

2 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Scrap all that - Merging Support was first class. A classic class of user error (need minimum 64 channels I/O) and ASIO output to channels 1 and 2 (I had 7 and 8 stupidly thinking that was correct for headphones).

Everything is working beautifully in Roon and Qobuz Desktop apps - using ASIO driver for automatic sample rate switching.

image.thumb.png.483277a3895509cf23265b8ac9c99079.png

I was going to respond here and tell you that it's a configuration issue. Happy it got sorted. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was going to respond here and tell you that it's a configuration issue. Happy it got sorted. 

Only their MAD ASIO driver supports sample rate switching for now they say.

Which explains why Tidal Desktop  + WASAPI + Exclusive mode won't do auto sample rate switching on Win10...

Anything using ASIO driver should work nicely, including Qobuz Desktop app. That surprised me, didn't know Qobuz supported ASIO

On 2/6/2021 at 9:04 AM, asdf1000 said:

Hi @Miska when I look at the attached, where is the galvanic isolation technically broken? Or does this image not really show it?

Is it where the voltage loop formed by the +/- shown for both Mode A and Mode B? That's the phantom power similarity you mentioned?

image.thumb.png.1339ef76a26b385807687277f6d73562.png

It does, at the point where it picks up the electricity. With PoE you have that extra wire that goes to primary side of the ethernet transformer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

It does, at the point where it picks up the electricity. With PoE you have that extra wire that goes to primary side of the ethernet transformer.

So technically this wire connecting ethernet transformers for power, can be path for SMPS 'common mode noise' (leakage currents) to go downstream?

31 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

So technically this wire connecting ethernet transformers for power, can be path for SMPS 'common mode noise' (leakage currents) to go downstream?

Yes, theoretically. Depending on how the power is used. Likely it goes through some switching regulators and transformers though, so not necessarily an issue.

Hi @The Computer Audiophile

Is your Anubis connected to your router or have you gone for the more 'direct' connection of iMac to Anubis using USB-to-ethernet adapter ?

Direct connection works flawlessly for me.

They even actually recommend the latter, but some people have had issues going through router (including me atm). They do recommend Anubis having it's own separate network, not sharing internet traffic.

It's definitely not a plug and play device.

I'm getting close to having it rock solid stable now. After that it should just continue to work without a hiccup.

But if they could get it to a point of 'plug and play', it would not only make it even more attractive to even more pro's but it would even attract more consumers.

Look at the RME ADI-2 FS DAC - the roots are a pro audio device but it works so easily and reliably and measures so great, it's become a hit even with audiophiles.

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Hi @The Computer Audiophile

Is your Anubis connected to your router or have you gone for the more 'direct' connection of iMac to Anubis using USB-to-ethernet adapter ?

Direct connection works flawlessly for me.

They even actually recommend the latter, but some people have had issues going through router (including me atm). They do recommend Anubis having it's own separate network, not sharing internet traffic.

It's definitely not a plug and play device.

I'm getting close to having it rock solid stable now. After that it should just continue to work without a hiccup.

But if they could get it to a point of 'plug and play', it would not only make it even more attractive to even more pro's but it would even attract more consumers.

Look at the RME ADI-2 FS DAC - the roots are a pro audio device but it works so easily and reliably and measures so great, it's become a hit even with audiophiles.

I’m using it direct - USB-C > Ethernet > Anubis. 

It’s a crazy cool product that has very few limits. I talked to Merging about future “missions” the company can add to it. Technically the Anubis could be a Roon Ready endpoint over the network, avoiding VAD / MAD. A HiFi mission could be created etc...

To be plug and play, a new “mission” is required and people should never look at ANEMAN :~) That’s not a consumer friendly app. 

The more I use my Anubis, the more I love it. 

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

To be plug and play, a new “mission” is required and people should never look at ANEMAN :~) That’s not a consumer friendly app. 

Agreed, that's the current issue. And not just for non-pro's . There's a Gearsultz thread of pro audio guys having issue (together with many that have no issues of course).

36 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Technically the Anubis could be a Roon Ready endpoint over the network, avoiding VAD / MAD. A HiFi mission could be created etc...

Their ZMAN module (which is inside Anubis) has Roon Endpoint showing, has had for years. So I imagine it'll come. They already have Roon experience with NADAC.

image.thumb.png.8247b41eac766fbfb576344c18e0f1d1.png

5 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

It should work fine if you create unicast stream in ANEMAN. The default multicast stream will likely choke networks that have WiFi.

5 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

IMO, use of USB Ethernet adapters should be forbidden completely, anywhere. :D  (and same goes for USB connected HDD/SSD)

If you use Mac, you should use Apple's Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapters instead.

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

It should work fine if you create unicast stream in ANEMAN. The default multicast stream will likely choke networks that have WiFi.

This definitely was the case when I had a NADAC after it was first released. It took down my entire network. However, after enabling IGMP Snooping, all was OK.

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

IMO, use of USB Ethernet adapters should be forbidden completely, anywhere. :D  (and same goes for USB connected HDD/SSD)

If you use Mac, you should use Apple's Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapters instead.

Here's the one I use. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJKF2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter