Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, matthias said:

but I think it is not a violation of NDA to announce such a device.

No I meant they just generally may not want to announce product plans, separate to NDA.

That's normal for companies, of course. Merging themselves won't tell you what their next Zman based product is...

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

No I meant they just generally may not want to announce product plans, separate to NDA.

That's normal for companies, of course. Merging themselves won't tell you what their next Zman based product is...

I think that's the best. I hate vaporware that gets announced years before anything materializes. Such is bad for everybody in the end.

What I liked about some Apple announcements over the time are the ones "this thing is available in our store right after this event"!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

But I think Ravenna/AES67 will go with pro market ahead and then trickle down to consumer products over time. Just due to the technology design history / background. And it may be better that way in the end.

HQP Embedded server connected via the network directly to the speakers sounds like a great future! (assuming one is happy with the speakers sound/performance themselves, not just the convenience of seeing a Ravenna input...)

Can use HQPe as single DSP engine for digital room EQ + up-sampling (any any other DSP), direct to the speakers.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

What I liked about some Apple announcements over the time are the ones "this thing is available in our store right after this event"!

Ha, very true. I remember some cases where people mind's were blown (mine too) at this.

Happens a bit less with Apple these days I noticed.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:51 PM, Miska said:

Ahh, it has PoE? That is very nice indeed! I have other PoE equipment already, such as WiFi access points where the reduced number of wiring makes life so much easier and installation cleaner.

Hi Jussi, which ethernet cable would you recommend for PoE?

Would you recommend sticking with Cat 6 UTP or does PoE changing things and you'd recommend STP?

I see Belden recommend their Cat 6A 10GX/10GXS series for PoE applications, which uniquely has the 'floating shield' design.

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Jussi, which ethernet cable would you recommend for PoE?

Would you recommend sticking with Cat 6 UTP or does PoE changing things and you'd recommend STP?

I see Belden recommend their Cat 6A 10GX/10GXS series for PoE applications, which uniquely has the 'floating shield' design.

Some of my PoE feeds are on STP and some are on UTP. Depending on overall grounding topology.

If the shield is disconnected at the other end, then it doesn't pose typical problems. Just good to pay attention which end of the cable has the shield connected.

For example for my WiFi access points shielded cables would be pointless, because the shield wouldn't be connected anywhere. Cabling coming to wall sockets is unshielded and the connectors are plastic body both in the patchbay and in the wall sockets. In addition the access point's connector is plastic body.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

Some of my PoE feeds are on STP and some are on UTP. Depending on overall grounding topology.

If the shield is disconnected at the other end, then it doesn't pose typical problems. Just good to pay attention which end of the cable has the shield connected.

For example for my WiFi access points shielded cables would be pointless, because the shield wouldn't be connected anywhere. Cabling coming to wall sockets is unshielded and the connectors are plastic body both in the patchbay and in the wall sockets. In addition the access point's connector is plastic body.

Noted, thanks. I will probably use Cat 6A STP with Anubis for my headphones listening, since I will have just this 1 cable coming in and just 1 headphones cable coming out - so no mains loops formed.

For speaker setup where I plan to use Anubis as DAC and Pre into powered speakers, I’ll probably use the Belden 10GXS Cat 6A with floating shield.

Looks like the Anubis is a hit.

Merging already has 2-3 months of back orders for it.

575786079_AnubisisShipping.png.2935c9eac38e0ed00c556890aefb44e7.png

https://mailchi.mp/merging/merging-insider-newsletter-april-2019?e=b325d79d7e

19 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Good for them!

But not for the people who want to use it with Linux and ask for support :(

As a satisfied NADAC owner, Ricardo and the team at Merging have always been great with their tech support.

I'm sure that will continue with the Anubis.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:16 PM, bmoura said:

As a satisfied NADAC owner, Ricardo and the team at Merging have always been great with their tech support.

I'm sure that will continue with the Anubis.

I have no doubt about that. And personally, I like Merging a lot, but it must be said that they are not behaving well with their recent Linux driver development.

On 5/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, Em2016 said:

Anybody visit Merging at Munich? @matthias ?

1478580535_ScreenShot2019-05-11at8_10_19pm.thumb.png.7ff6070bc94a48586bc86c4df27c2bba.png

206972860_ScreenShot2019-05-11at8_11_47pm.thumb.png.84a74c20f3ea9409ea247d014ac3b35e.png

Yes, just coming back from Munich.

Unfortunately, there was no listening demo of Anubis.

I asked about the DAC chip differences of Hapi vs Anubis. They told me the smaller chip in the Anubis is due to heat considerations.

Then Claude opened a small bag with the Anubis inside. It is REALLY small. The lenght is exactly from the tip of my extended thumb to the tip of my extended index finger.

Claude told me that the quality of the Anubis DAC is a little bit inferior to the Hapi one, but the HP amp is better than the Hapi one.

Matt

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Yes, just coming back from Munich.

Unfortunately, there was no listening demo of Anubis.

I asked about the DAC chip differences of Hapi vs Anubis. They told me the smaller chip in the Anubis is due to heat considerations.

Then Claude opened a small bag with the Anubis inside. It is REALLY small. The lenght is exactly from the tip of my extended thumb to the tip of my extended index finger.

Claude told me that the quality of the Anubis DAC is a little bit inferior to the Hapi one, but the HP amp is better than the Hapi one.

Matt

Lucky you Matt.

Did you ask about the DSP before the ESS chip? What does it upsample to before the ESS chip? Everything upsampled to DSD256? DSD128? Something else?

How did the Merging room sound? I can’t tell from photos which speakers they used?

20 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Did you ask about the DSP before the ESS chip? What does it upsample to before the ESS chip? Everything upsampled to DSD256? DSD128? Something else?

How did the Merging room sound? I can’t tell from photos which speakers they used?

Em2016,

I am awfully sorry, but I forgot to ask. I think one reason was that my schedule was very tight at Saturday to see and listen to all points on my shortlist. Another one is that Anubis has low priority for me at the moment.

I was not aware of the big Merging multichannel room. I went briefly into the Merging booth where they played a NADAC set-up but the SQ was not my cup of tea.

Matt

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Em2016,

I am awfully sorry, but I forgot to ask.

Not a problem at all Matt. We only spent 3 pages of this thread discussing it ! 😁

I joke of course. What was your favourite sounding room at the show?

On 5/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, matthias said:

Claude told me that the quality of the Anubis DAC is a little bit inferior to the Hapi 

He could not say otherwise ....😉

system:

HDPlex Server ( i7-6700-WS2016 ) HQPlayer  with Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol >cable network > TPlink mc 110cs > optical singlemode > TPlink mc 110cs > HDPlex NAA ( celeron G1840T-WS2016 ) NAD with Ramdisk > usb interface > nuprime dac10 > monitor Klein+hummel o410 + sub KHo810

On 7/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, dennis88 said:

Can I play to the Anubis via WiFi? From what I've read, no, unfortunately. What also interests me: does it have some kind of "wake-on-lan" (standby?) functionality? 

The Anubis support AoIP via network cable, router ans switch.
There is no wake-on-lan, but the Anubis could be powered by POE (Power over Internet), there is maybe a possibilty there.

This was posted on the public Gearslutz forum.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/1252514-merging-anubis-15.html#post14151695

I've been too eager in the past with being an early adopter. These days I wait 12 months after the initial release before buying something.

But I'm sure all customers will be well looked after. Still a hassle for the customer though, especially someone using these professionally.

8 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

This was posted on the public Gearslutz forum.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/1252514-merging-anubis-15.html#post14151695

I've been too eager in the past with being an early adopter. These days I wait 12 months after the initial release before buying something.

But I'm sure all customers will be well looked after. Still a hassle for the customer though, especially someone using these professionally.

This can happen even with companies like Porsche.

But I am happy that I did not buy one.

Matt