IGNORED

Merging Anubis

1 hour ago, bmoura said:

Hmm, Merging+Anubis still looks impressive to me.

But the Hapi remains available for purchase for those who are disappointed with the new product. :)

I would be happy to pay quite a bit more for Anubis to get the performance specs of Hapi.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

21 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Sorry to go OT but I am very curious about the name as I opened this tread expecting it having something to do with Anubis from Stargate SG-1 and was curious what Anubis was merging to.

So this thread has nothing to do with SG-1, still why did they choose the name of the most hated of all the system lords for their ADC?

From ancient Egyptian history:

Anubis was the god of embalming and the dead. Since jackals were often seen in cemeteries, the ancient Egyptians believed that Anubis watched over the dead.

Curious, why is an ADC name after such a god as this?

Because it will take care of MQA in the very near future?

Dirk

2 hours ago, weltarm said:

It is slightly disappointing, but I'm certain that the DAC is still excellent. I've preordered Anubis, which will replace my Hapi with DA8P card. HAPI has been rock solid for my uses -- playback/editing of field recordings and listening -- but ANUBIS will work better for me. 

Congrats. Did dealer tell you when it should ship? Immediately? 

6 hours ago, matthias said:

From the DAC section DA8P remains king.

DA8P has 4dB better dynamic range and 6dB better THD than Anubis.

A little bit disappointing.

Matt

Hmmm, yes.

But for headphones listening it should be significantly better than Hapi/Horus, just based on output impedance and distortion specs alone. I need to have a listen though. My THX 789 headphone amp specs are pretty state of the art already.

In addition to headphones use, I could also use Anubis direct into powered speakers (as a pre) since it features digital volume control knob. So with it's PoE feature Anibus would then be like a slightly bigger Kii Control , for an active speaker system  😁

This question is most important for me:

Can Anubis with its Ravenna interface outperform the best USB DACs in the same price range?

I hope we get soon the first listening impressions.......

Matt

9 minutes ago, matthias said:

Can Anubis with its Ravenna interface outperform the best USB DACs in the same price range?

Like Hugo2, Pro iDSD DAC I mentioned. Also Benchmark DAC3, the cheaper RME ADI-2 and Chord Qutest etc. Spring2?

I don't need Anubis to outperform them - even just matching the performance of those better USB DACs above is enough to make Anubis functionally superior for me (for all the reasons I've mentioned). It's functionally much more flexible for my own use cases.

Each person will have their own use cases of course.

8 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hmmm, yes.

But for headphones listening it should be significantly better than Hapi/Horus, just based on output impedance and distortion specs alone. I need to have a listen though. My THX 789 headphone amp specs are pretty state of the art already.

In addition to headphones use, I could also use Anubis direct into powered speakers (as a pre) since it features digital volume control knob. So with it's PoE feature Anibus would then be like a slightly bigger Kii Control , for an active speaker system  😁

Yes, the HP amps should be much better than the Hapi ones.

It is a pity that Anubis shines in areas which are not important for me.

I do not need ADCs, use no HP.......but want a great DAC and PS.

Matt

1 minute ago, matthias said:

Yes, the HP amps should be much better than the Hapi ones.

It is a pity that Anubis shines in areas which are not important for me.

I do not need ADCs, use no HP.......but want a great DAC and PS.

Matt

Maybe Hapi + DA8P is for you?

I can see cases where both will be useful for me... but I could uses Anubis everyday now, whereas my need for Hapi is 12 months away when I move into a bigger space, so Hapi can wait.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Maybe Hapi + DA8P is for you?

I would like to stay in the 2k range.

But I am a source first believer. So when Ravenna outperforms USB then it is possible that Anubis has the edge over an USB DAC.

Matt

24 minutes ago, weltarm said:

Thanks, I'm really excited. I was told it would ship the first half of May. 

I’m jealous! 

Are you a Pro user or one of us lower commoners lol

How will you be using it? Which software etc

I’m genuinely interested in the different ways people will use this Swiss Amry Knife of a thing

Just now, Em2016 said:

I’m jealous! 

Are you a Pro user or one of us lower commoners lol

How will you be using it? Which software etc

I’m genuinely interested in the different ways people will use this Swiss Amry Knife of a thing

Neither and worse -- a prosumer! lol

I do nature/field recordings and am after excellent conversion. When I demo'd the HAPI, I found it better than anything I had heard. 

ANUBIS has ADC and a few other features that I'll use, including a smaller footprint. So, the HAPI must go. 

3 minutes ago, weltarm said:

Neither and worse -- a prosumer! lol

LOL. Great to see good sense of humour.

3 minutes ago, weltarm said:

I do nature/field recordings and am after excellent conversion. When I demo'd the HAPI, I found it better than anything I had heard. 

ANUBIS has ADC and a few other features that I'll use, including a smaller footprint. So, the HAPI must go. 

Fantastic.

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Maybe in some scope for testing HQPlayer Pro recording features... So far I've been testing DSD256 recording with RME ADI-2 Pro...

Based on specs on paper (that’s all we have for now) do you expect better recording resolution than ADI-2 Pro?

Or impossible to tell from current info.

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Maybe in some scope for testing HQPlayer Pro recording features... So far I've been testing DSD256 recording with RME ADI-2 Pro...

Since HQ Player 4 Pro supports level changing and channel mixing in the DSD domain up to DSD512, having a Merging Anubis on hand would be a great way to make sure HQP 4 Pro's recording and mixing features work with the Anubis as well as the Hapi and Horus.  A win/win for HQ Player, Merging and their pro recording product owners I'd think.  :)

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

Based on specs on paper (that’s all we have for now) do you expect better recording resolution than ADI-2 Pro?

Or impossible to tell from current info.

Someone said it uses AKM chip too? 

You can compare the tech specs if you like. But both are probably very good. ADI-2 doesn't have mic preamps, so that is one difference. So if you count mic pre's in as an extra component, pricing of the two is also similar. Quite different feature set though...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 minutes ago, bmoura said:

Since HQ Player 4 Pro supports level changing and channel mixing in the DSD domain up to DSD512, having a Merging Anubis on hand would be a great way to make sure HQP 4 Pro's recording and mixing features work with the Anubis as well as the Hapi and Horus.  A win/win for HQ Player, Merging and their pro recording product owners I'd think.  :)

Yes, first I want to get Hapi verified on all three OS platforms. And then look for doing the same with Anubis. Just a bit short of hands here with all the things! Three OS, and now both input and output, in both PCM and DSD to verify is making twice as complex than just player side!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

ADI-2 doesn't have mic preamps, so that is one difference. So if you count mic pre's in as an extra component,

Noted. One less PSU in the chain is sometines a good thing.

They are emphasising the quality of Anubis mic pre in the marketing, so should be decent quality I assume.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Yes, first I want to get Hapi verified on all three OS platforms. And then look for doing the same with Anubis. Just a bit short of hands here with all the things! Three OS, and now both input and output, in both PCM and DSD to verify is making twice as complex than just player side!

I can imagine.  Hapi and Horus is a good place to start, especially when taking into account the availability date of the Anubis isn't until May.  Gives you a few months to get the others tested and certified! :)