802.11n ... really? Needs a hardware refresh.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

@AndreVOLUMIO

Welcome here at AS.

Some questions:

How is the quality of the USB output of the Primo?

Is it good enough to use Primo as a pure streamer without the inbuilt DAC?

Does it make sense to use a good LPS for Primo?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

11 hours ago, matthias said:

@AndreVOLUMIO

Welcome here at AS.

Some questions:

How is the quality of the USB output of the Primo?

Is it good enough to use Primo as a pure streamer without the inbuilt DAC?

Does it make sense to use a good LPS for Primo?

Thanks

Matt

@matthias

nice to meet you... 

The USB quality output of the Primo is superior than the Raspberry PI one, because the Tinkerboard S have separate buses for USB and ethernet. 

Yes, it is good enough to use the Primo as a pure Streamer even if no particular optimization went to the USB ports (else than power filtering).

The Primo has a very optimized Power Circuit (which affects positively all 3 output modes) and we received several reports that when using a good LPS the improvements are there, but they are very marginal. This demonstrates how good the power part of Primo is.

regards

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - This post has been OK'd by me prior to Andre posting it. I've "known" Andre for a couple years and know he has the best intentions with this introduction to the forum. 

Thank you for the warm welcome and for giving me an opportunity to open this discussion which isn't about the hardware only but Volumio in general. 

Allot is happening on different levels which I think can interest many of you.

Please feel free to reach out.

Would any of you be interested in taking a closer look at the PRIMO ? Maybe we can have a unit rolling amongst forum members?

Regards

Andre

Do LMS and Roon Bridge plugins come installed on this? If not, what's involved in setting them up?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Very cool.  Finally something that might get me off my SB Touch.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Do LMS and Roon Bridge plugins come installed on this? If not, what's involved in setting them up?

@firedog

Hi.

Volumio is well known for its intuitive user interface. 3 steps:

From the drop down menu, you select plugins, choose the one you want and click install... 

You can select from youtube to pandora, spotify and other.

We constantly work on adding more plugins.

So LMS is available as a plug in, for ROON, its in the works.

Can i suggest you download volumio and take a closer look at it. It takes a few minutes. 

Cute puppy btw!

Hi Andre

I hope it goes well for you.

As you asked for feedback - I have over the last three months been looking at the Primo very carefully as a purchase for a desktop solution at my workplace office. In fact I have read everything on your site including blogs and have searched for and read every review possible - several times. 

FYI  like many on this forum I own several DACs or streamers. Most of them are or were many times more expensive. My difficulty in assessing whether to purchase the Primo is the lack of reviews by known reviewers - particularly on the DAC performance and USB input cleanup. 

I think your efforts would would be assisted by reviews comparing the quality - not to Pi solutions - but to the better value ESS we see now such as the SMSL SU-8 or more importantly the Pro-ject S2 Digital which apparently has very good USB jitter management and DAC implementation. I don’t have those but there are enough positive and detailed reviews out on them to enable readers to understand their likely performance in their own system. They are not streamers but they do compete for purchases with your Primo.  Hans B has done a useful review of the Primo but again his discussion is comparing your product to Pi solutions which is not where you are really competing or positioning. 

As as a minor point the one thing that finally stopped me from actually buying three weeks ago was I use Tidal sometimes - it costs me nothing extra to use it in my Aurilac Lightning DS software and nothing extra in my Audirvana software - and for many of us we have those or similar products.  Yet with your product the cost will apparently be hundreds of dollars extra over two or three years to be continue to use it with the Primo. 

So so in summary I am sure there are many who are interested to buy but have been held back principally due to lack of reviews relevant to their decision making process.

Best regards and good luck with it

Vincent

17 minutes ago, sydneysider said:

As as a minor point the one thing that finally stopped me from actually buying three weeks ago was I use Tidal sometimes - it costs me nothing extra to use it in my Aurilac Lightning DS software and nothing extra in my Audirvana software - and for many of us we have those or similar products.  Yet with your product the cost will apparently be hundreds of dollars extra over two or three years to be continue to use it with the Primo. 

IMO, you can stream from Audirvana to Primo via UPnP/DLNA without buying the premium subscription of Volumio.

Matt

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

Very cool.  Finally something that might get me off my SB Touch.

Yes, if you attach a Touch Screen to the HDMI output it would be a great Touch replacement, I think. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Just now, matthias said:

IMO, you can stream from Audirvana to Primo via UPnP/DLNA without buying the premium subscription of Volumio.

Matt

If you have Tidal or Qobuz subscriptions and can install programs LMS or Roon Bridge on it you could also stream from them at no extra charge. Also many programs like LMS  are UPnP / DLNA compliant, so you should be able to stream from them to the device.

@sydneysider

Hello Vincent, nice to meet you and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

This is exactly what I encourage everyone to do in this thread.

I am a strong believer that any industry and especially the audio one is so wide and open that it drives manufacturers to release their implementation of a existing products.

IMHO a review doesn't necessarily have to be a comparison. Its subjective.

If many share the same opinion, then you have a winner. There is room for everyone, depends of what you want and what suits you best...

Volunio has a strong community and thus, great attention to detail went in before releasing the PRIMO, a product meant for those seeking a flexible and scalable feature rich consumer product that just sounds great and is easy to use. 

Obviously, we just can't please everyone, but , as the developer and manufacturer we can get pretty close to it. This being said, nothing stops us from releasing versions of the PRIMO with license integrated music streaming services.

We control both worlds (software & hardware) . 

I only recently joined Volumio and I can tell you that its a great time. Many things in the pipeline, many partnerships....

I can't share everything for strategic reasons, but isn't it cool when you can get more than expected out a product ?

Lets keep the ball rolling here. 

PS: perhaps one day you can try the PRIMO. 

11 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Welcome to AS.

Any plans to add Qobuz and Tidal plugin?  I am looking to get of the LMS setup completely and not rely on it.

@shadowlight

hello there, 

The new myVolumio software has TIDAL and QOBUZ integrated ready to use.

myVolumio comes in Virtuoso or SuperStar flavours,. 

You can get all the info here:

https://volumio.org/myvolumio-released/

Regards

Andre

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AndreVOLUMIO said:

@matthias

thank you for the idea, I will soon share a roadmap with all. 

regards

Andre

Andre,

looking forward to your roadmap.

Please, you can then explain us why the price of Primo increased from EUR 399 to EUR 479 shortly after the release.

Thanks

Matt

5 hours ago, AndreVOLUMIO said:

there was an initial trial run of only a few units sold at a special price to help launch the product. 

We had informed on the site that it was a limited time offer.

Disagree,

the introductory price was EUR 349,

the normal price as announced was EUR 399,

now the price is EUR 479. WHY?

Matt

the intended MSRP was always 479 eur 

as i said, previous advertised pricing was only a limited time offer intended for product launch of the initial production run. 

we believe the pricing reflects the high quality of the PRIMO , a feature rich well designed hifi product and we stand by it. 

nevertheless, i can understand how some would have wanted the launch price have been extended.