kevalin

ZL Technologies - Impressive shielded cable for RF issues.

Rate this topic

KS Park who is the lead designer and owner of Allnic Audio developed a cable company, ZL Technologies.

I personally have had a very long journey in the cable world with some good investments and some horrible ones. These cables are worth your attention. While this review at Audiophilia stated great benefit with one cable. This becomes vastly understated when you replace all the cables in your system.  The two main characteristics that make this cable design different is welding in place of soldiering and Mu Metal shielding.  I attached a list of current and recent reviews about this new cable out of Korea.

Unlike many cables, additional lengths are of nominal costs. 33' unbalanced cable was custom made and fortunately not sold on a per meter basis, unlike Antipodes Reference. T

I strongly recommend auditioning them. The power cables are fantastic. I will trial some speaker cables in the coming months.  However the best benefit for the $$ is the Coax digital cable and power cords.

After much dialog with David Beetles and Kang Su, my conclusion is that ZL5000 vs ZL 3000 cables are identical except for the gauge of the wire. The rule is for low current demand use the smaller gauge ZL3000. However, this rule in my estimation has been debunked. High current linear power supplies for source components is essential to reduce jitter and meet the demands for optimal signal presentation. I challenged both of them to a comparison and another person who also has replaced his cabling across all his systems with ZL. They had an eye opening moment. The consumer who I modeled my system from in 2012 sold off all his ZL3000 for the 5000 series. The cable is much stiffer but manageable. My wife is more OCD than I am. She re-laid my cables maintaining my one rule that signal cables are above power cords. While stiff, it is doable.

Background: I have horrible electrical power in part due to the tech neighborhood I live in (Nike and Intel Exec) and the switch power supplies in my house played havoc on my system. I installed a Torus 75a isolation transformer and ran dedicated lines. Tore the darn house apart in the process. The wife was pissed. I have dedicated lines to each Amp, Pre, and source components feed off a Audience Adept Response TSSD 12. I replaced my au24sx power cable with the ZL5000 to a Neutrik adapter. The improvement was not subtle, particularly in the detail of music presentation. I had more spatial clarity and hear level of detail in my music that was not there before. ZL cables are welded. Once they can do this process to a Neutrik I will replace the cable without an adaptor.

These cables across the product line have done a tremendous job at removing RF pollution which I still struggles with despite the isolation transformer. LED lighting and Dimer switches. Between my rack and amps, in the corner is a gas stove. The fan when clicking on and off would create a pop in my speakers. This issue is more so prevalent with the 99 dB efficient Daedalus speakers.  The pop was loud. Even tried at the advice of Steve Nugent at Empirical, place a capacitor between the hot and neutral of the motor ac plug to no effect. These cables silenced this. 

From another customer that posted on Audioshark: "Not only did the system get quieter with the power cable but the bass is more taut and textured. Sense of space is better. I'm also hearing micro details that I've never heard before on well known albums, even when previously played with higher priced components in former systems. Overall, one of the better upgrades I have done $ for $. "

For those interested contact: Albert Porter of Porterhouse audio, Corby Audio, or David Beetles of Hammertone Audio.

Review Links: 

http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/allnic3/1.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/allnic/1.html

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2...00-power-cable

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/al...l-3000-cables/

http://www.audioht.co.kr/atl/view.asp?a_id=5096
https://www.hificlub.co.kr/web10/bo...lid=100&f_lid=100886&table=brd_10023&ishtml=n 
https://www.hificlub.co.kr/web10/bo...lid=100&f_lid=100917&table=brd_10023&ishtml=n
http://www.audioht.co.kr/atl/view.asp?a_id=6211

http://allnicaudio.com/?page_id=955 

Hi,

From the 6moons review :

Allnic uses Mu-metal as a braided shield in its interconnect cables (both RCA and XLR), which protects the signal from both kinds of noise. Allnic claims this as a world-first in audio.

So, does this mu-metal shield then mean that the inductance of the cable increases significantly ???, thus affecting the frequency response of the cable ?

Regards,

Shadders.

I do not want to give my best guess answer so I will ask directly.  Until then....

From the Hammertone Website:

Mu-metal shielding for true protection from EMI

While all other audio cable manufacturers use copper and/or silver shields for signal cables, Allnic uses ‘Mu-metal’ as braided shield for its interconnect and digital cables (RCA & XLR) – a world-premiere in the audio industry.

Traditional copper and/or silver mesh shields provide effective protection against electrically generated noise, but they are ineffective against magnetically induced noise. This is because magnetically generated interference freely penetrates both copper and silver. Only Mu-metal (a nickel alloy material) can protect the audio signal from both electronically and magnetically induced noise. Test data show that Mu-metal shielding reduces electromagnetic noise to less than 1/30th of what braided copper shield allows, down -30dB in comparison.

From the cable designer: 

"it does not affect any inductance, because it protect outside of cables"

And not part of the signal pathway; therefore, does not affect it in any way.   Power cords and digital cables have a significant impact on the presentation during streaming that I wanted to bring awareness to this somewhat unknown cable manufacturer.  Hammertone Audio has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.   I was impressed enough to keep them and post here.   
-j

3 hours ago, kevalin said:

From the cable designer: 

"it does not affect any inductance, because it protect outside of cables"

And not part of the signal pathway; therefore, does not affect it in any way.   Power cords and digital cables have a significant impact on the presentation during streaming that I wanted to bring awareness to this somewhat unknown cable manufacturer.  Hammertone Audio has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.   I was impressed enough to keep them and post here.   
-j

Hi,

The first sentence seems to be from the cable designer, and the next paragraph seems to be from a customer.

I do not have the simulation software, but i would expect the enclosure of a signal in a cylinder of ferromagnetic material will increase the inductance of the cable :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permalloy

See the diagram and the text where it states :

"...that the cable could be compensated by wrapping it with iron wire, increasing the inductance and making it a loaded line to reduce distortion"

The diagram shows permalloy tape wrapped around the cable. Mu-metal is a nickel-iron alloy, and is a Permalloy.

As such, wrapping a signal cable with Mu-metal = permalloy, causes the inductance to increase.

Regards,

Shadders.

Your example wraps the permalloy around a single conductor, i.e. between the conductor and the return.

Early telegraph used earth return.

The point was, enclosing wires in a permalloy cylinder will have a significant effect on the inner conductors electrical parameters. If the mu-metal has such an effect on external magnetic fields, then it will have an effect on the internal magnetic fields.

I think it's OK to ask the question and present some information that's been found, but unless any of us actually know what we're specul-guessing about, we should probably just stop at the asking questions point. Or better yet, email the mumetal/permalloy manufacturer, and then past their replies.

The cable manufacturer could be anywhere between spot on and completely misleading. It's a crapshoot. 

My understanding of physics regarding electricity albeit decent has its limitations.  I remain somewhat quiet on the topic because I choose not post information that may indeed be false.  The cables have received decent reviews in the last year and are new this part of the world.  I have tried them and was impressed enough to post here.  Seems they have demo sets to try and stellar return policy if you purchase new and decide to return them.    Some aspects regarding construction are novel and may be the reason they are set apart from ones I have used in the past: Pure Silver versions of Wireworld, Audioquest, in addition to Antipodes Reference which one of the reviewers had the same cable currently and same assessment.  High Fidelity Ultimate Reference, Audience AU24sx, Nordost to name a few.   Factor in alternating current noise, RF radiation, equipment, system design, room implementation and aural interpretation -- results vary.  Some reviews here I found beneficial and others poor investments.  There are too many variables at play.  These cables are offered at no risk trial and I recommend them.

The thing to keep in mind is that there is no magic in external cables - once you go inside the cabinet just very ordinary bits of copper tie things together - and what's external can't "fix that". What enters the equation on the outside is much greater exposure to interfering elements, loss of stability - the cable can flap around, and poor connections at either end - which can do a lot of damage. Different constructions can help mitigate against this - but it turns out that very ordinary, cheap wiring can do the job properly; if the right care is taken is in making that link be as well implemented as possible.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

On 5/15/2019 at 7:08 PM, kevalin said:

Another review with favorable review from these unknown cable:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/allnic_audio_int_sc.htm

Having first hand look at various manufacturers from Korea.  I like what is being offered these days. Highly recommended.

Are thes prices shown in Hong Kong dollars?

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

True, MU metal is best when annealed in its final form...

The questions from an earlier post regarding impedance's are very relevant...

The site is the usual high end audiophile cable site, no real information just enough snippets of techno marketing speak to make it sound incredible, but as said zero information, just lots of mention of resistance and no other critical factors especially regarding digital cables.

Caveat emptor.

Mu metal consists of 15% iron and 77% nickel and some other metals. Aren't we trying to avoid magnetic metal near audio cables?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

Clock modded FS105 v3, Clock modded Isoregen, Lush^2