IGNORED

Apple has updated the iMac range today

Check out the prices!  A maxed out iMac Pro now runs $15,699.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

20 hours ago, rickca said:

Check out the prices!  A maxed out iMac Pro now runs $15,699.

There's always someone who does that, goes and picks the most expensive options as if it represents reality... 

To be fair, I'm sure there are people for whom that is a good, affordable computer, if they work in, say, video editing, and will save time with the faster processor and extra RAM. But for the rest of us, it's just a pointless exercise. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

14 minutes ago, new_media said:

I'm going to grab a 6-core iMac as soon as they have them available for store pick-up. Too much trouble to try to be home for delivery. I called the local Apple store and they should have them in stock next Friday.

The website told me April 3rd for a custom build to be available for pickup in the store.

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, kirkmc said:

There's always someone who does that, goes and picks the most expensive options as if it represents reality... 

To be fair, I'm sure there are people for whom that is a good, affordable computer, if they work in, say, video editing, and will save time with the faster processor and extra RAM. But for the rest of us, it's just a pointless exercise. 

I was talking with a friend about this, and I figure that if the computer lasts for 10 years and is making you money over that period, it's 1600 a year and a tax write off, so it doesn't look so bad at that point. For normal people however, it's pointless.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I was talking with a friend about this, and I figure that if the computer lasts for 10 years and is making you money over that period, it's 1600 a year and a tax write off, so it doesn't look so bad at that point. For normal people however, it's pointless.

No, you're missing the point. If you're a pro and the iMac Pro saves you time rendering 3D images, editing video, or compiling apps, and it saves you, say, a half hour a day, that money will be earned back pretty quickly with the fastest processor. No one would count amortizing a computer over 10 years. 

18 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

No, you're missing the point. If you're a pro and the iMac Pro saves you time rendering 3D images, editing video, or compiling apps, and it saves you, say, a half hour a day, that money will be earned back pretty quickly with the fastest processor. No one would count amortizing a computer over 10 years. 

well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine...

No electron left behind.

there is a discussion about a compact (tho full frame) Leica camera on a photo site I frequent - the camera is $5,000

it is a very nice camera but is obviously aimed at the luxury "Let's impress other people" market

if SnApple wants to go that route, I will jump ship

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

there is a discussion about a compact (tho full frame) Leica camera on a photo site I frequent - the camera is $5,000

it is a very nice camera but is obviously aimed at the luxury "Let's impress other people" market

In my opinion, they are nearly there right now.

No electron left behind.

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

The website told me April 3rd for a custom build to be available for pickup in the store.

I think this must be geographical. The website is now telling me that the cheapest 21" model will be available for pickup tomorrow, but every other configuration is still showing "pickup is currently unavailable." I'll just keep an eye on it over the next week.

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Yes, that's the Q2, which is actually less expensive than a lot of other Leicas. But the brand has been doing the "let's impress" for a long time; look at all the "special editions" they make. I can't see anyone buying those as anything other than collectibles. It's probably a brand that would die off if people only bought the cameras to use as cameras. 

This said, I know a few people who own Leicas, and they do have their strong points, notably some of the best lenses in the world. But for the average hobbyist photographer, they're overkill. (This said, I _really_ would like the Leica M Monochrom...)

And one could argue that Apple is edging toward that segment, with the higher prices on recent iPhones. The iMac Pro really is a pro computer, but I'm sure many people bought it just for the bling.