IGNORED

Acoustic Portrait Records - Indian Classical Music

Interesting site. Good to see quality Indian music being well recorded and also sold as hires.

Noticed that they also sell some interesting audio equipment from the site.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

I have to say the 24/192 mastering is really outstanding, and rare indeed for an Indian classical recording. Very enjoyable. For those who haven't heard the santoor, it's a north Indian and Central Asian dulcimer, and gorgeous in its smooth tonality. While the performance very good, to my inexpert ears, this is no match for the sheer virtuosity of the santoor master Shivkumar Sharma. Still, I applaud this label for bringing audiophile SQ to Indian classical music.

The artist Suma Hegde is under the tutelage of Dr Dhananjay Daithankar who is himself a disciple of Pt. Shivkumar Sharma.  

There is a connect of sorts in that she comes from the same school but she is still a young talent with quite a ways to go.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks for the pointer @Nikhil! These are indeed excellent recordings. I decided to buy this album to try out: https://acousticportrait.com/product/raag-bhageshri/

I have to say the 24/192 mastering is really outstanding, and rare indeed for an Indian classical recording. Very enjoyable. For those who haven't heard the santoor, it's a north Indian and Central Asian dulcimer, and gorgeous in its smooth tonality. While the performance very good, to my inexpert ears, this is no match for the sheer virtuosity of the santoor master Shivkumar Sharma. Still, I applaud this label for bringing audiophile SQ to Indian classical music.

For those looking for well recorded Indian classical, there are a few, under the Nimbus and Waterlily labels. Try this one, for example:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/hq7hzf0692cgb

https://tidal.com/album/54886734

I also bought that one. Very good SQ.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

how come these qobuz links never open the album page for me? Even if I'm logged in to Qobuz, the links just open the sign in page?

Not having much success with

https://acousticportrait.com/product/raag-bhageshri/

First, Paypal failed, then it worked after the shop “made some configuration changes in consultation with Paypal.”

Then, only one of three tracks downloaded. The others failed after a long wait and could no longer be attempted after code “403 Forbidden.”

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

3 hours ago, Al Jones said:

Not having much success with

https://acousticportrait.com/product/raag-bhageshri/

First, Paypal failed, then it worked after the shop “made some configuration changes in consultation with Paypal.”

Then, only one of three tracks downloaded. The others failed after a long wait and could no longer be attempted after code “403 Forbidden.”

I can send my copy to you if you give me an upload link to a folder in the cloud.

Thanks for the offers, but Acoustic Portrait responded quickly with new download links.

They recommend downloading these long tracks one at a time and that helps.

Track 1 16 min

Track 2 34 min

Track 3 11 min

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Doak said:

the background/base "thrumming" an off-stage sitar?

I don't know for sure what is being used. 

But the background drone is traditionally done with a Tanpura

Another option to create the drone sound is a keyless harmonium i.e. shruti box.  

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 1 month later...