Hello all,

I have a Linn Klimax DS, connected by ethernet to my Internet provider box, as well as a qnap 109. These were Linn's recommandations when I purchased my first DS streamer. Reading the forum, I feel it may not be the best set up. 

I would like to try Roon and not have too many boxes and cables. 

What would you advise me to do? Get a nuc for Roon + a Switch, another nas with ssd cache, or going the innuos or sonictransporter route ? I'm a bit lost as many threads seem open to debate in the long run and tend to favor USB related solutions.

Thanks a lot!

I don't have a Linn player, but I do know they added Roon endpoint status in 2018. I went with the Bricasti unit instead. Picking a server has several criteria. 1) size of your music file library. If you have a small library, you don't need as much processor power. 2) If you plan to upsample your music at the server level, you will need a higher processor. 3) Room correction will also up your processor requirements.

I went with an upscale QNAP NAS with an i3 processor, and an SSD cache disk. I upsample to DSD128 for my particular streamer, with excellent results. I use the gain pots on my amplifiers for a tad bit of room correction.

I doubt you would go wrong with the NUC+Rock choice. Its custom engineered for the purpose.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

22 hours ago, Bones13 said:

I don't have a Linn player, but I do know they added Roon endpoint status in 2018.

That is incorrect. Roon version 1.5 added support for streaming to Linn DS players - so similar to Roon's 'special' support for streaming to HQPlayer, AirPlay, Squeezebox & Google Cast (Chromecast) devices and has therefore nothing to do with its own RAAT streaming protocol used by Roon Endpoints.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 3/18/2019 at 8:56 PM, Abolive said:

Hello all,

I have a Linn Klimax DS, connected by ethernet to my Internet provider box, as well as a qnap 109. These were Linn's recommandations when I purchased my first DS streamer. Reading the forum, I feel it may not be the best set up. 

I would like to try Roon and not have too many boxes and cables. 

What would you advise me to do? Get a nuc for Roon + a Switch, another nas with ssd cache, or going the innuos or sonictransporter route ? I'm a bit lost as many threads seem open to debate in the long run and tend to favor USB related solutions.

Thanks a lot!

Why don't you just try Roon Core Server on a bog standard computer streaming to the Linn Klimax and see how you get on with that first, before you consider using NUC + ROCK (or sonictransporter, etc) for Roon Core Server streaming to the Linn Klimax?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I own a Klimax DSM and, as others have pointed out, Linn & Roon have worked out an endpoint solution (you can't group Linn DS players with other Roon endpoints, long story), so other than setting up a Roon Core on a PC, you don't need anything extra to start using Roon, provided your KDS is current on its software updates. 

You will need to have a Roon core installed to use Roon and you could put that on any computer in the house that is connected to your LAN. And, while using a switch just for your KDS might improve things, if you're already streaming from your QNAP and your router, you really don't need anything else. 

That said, I use a Small Green Computer I7 for a dedicated Roon core server and have a Cisco SG-100D switch that I use just for the server and KDSM. I originally bought the I7 because I thought I'd use Roon's DSP for room correction, but I bought a Trinnov Altitude 16 instead and, yes, the KDSM sounds better as the source than using the Trinnov as an endpoint...don't ask me why, 'cause it converts all analog to digital so, in theory, I'm hearing the Trinnov's DACs in both cases...

ChrisG

Bend, OR

Hi Abolive,

I have just bought a Linn Klimax DS/1 renew.

Linn have supported the setting up of a Linn community on The WigWam, which i would recommend.

My last pre-Linn front end included:

Audiolinux (AL) + NUC backend (LMS), powered by LPSUs via LT3045s >> Audiolinux + NUC backend (Squeezelite), powered by LPSUs via LT3045s >> SingXer F1 >> Audionote 2.1 DAC

NUC = Next Unit Computing. Small Intel boxes - not all of them work well in this context.

The issue was that I had a system that was spread over three shelves (just the front end), had two 6A LPSUs running 24/7 and a spaghetti of cables.

The DS reduced all this to one shelf.

Sound Quality
The Klimax is more detailed. The AN is slightly richer, not hugely but rather subtly and with respect to vocals especially. But, BOTH setups give me sonic thrills; if in rather different places. Enjoy BOTH equally.

Sound Optimisation (SO)

As I am sure you know Sound Optimisation is a nice added extra. The effect is noticeable, and the sound staging is very precise. With studio recordings the music sticks rather closer to the speakers than with the NUC/AN, but with natural acoustic material it is both precise and well spaced.

I have played with SO v1 & v2 (cloud based), having read through the SO Thread on the WigWam. I bought the Renew from an ex-dealer who kindly bought it over and did the v1 settings, which I saved and then used as a base from which to tweak.

I logged onto the Linn site and set up a few v2 profiles, which I initially preferred at my beginner/superficial level ......BUT, Paulssurround has a thread on The WigWam on SO v1 which I used to set up a new profile, and this is the profile I find myself returning to constantly.

Servers

With Audiolinux/NUC I found that I got a real step up with different server software, and where files are hosted. Currently I have three sources:

1. Qobuz;
  2. Synology NAS running Minimserver; and
  3. Audiostore Prestige 2 (think NUC) running Audiolinux, files on 4 x 512GB USB sticks.

Before going into the variation I have tried I have found the Linn to be REMARKABLY unresponsive to server and file changes, all rather small beer differences.

Minimserver: NAS vs NUC/AL = I have a slight preference for the NUC/AL ....but I wouldn't miss one over the other particularly.

NAS Minimserver vs NUC/AL Logitech Media Server = No real difference.

With the Naim NS01 there was a definite uptick using wav over flac. I read that potentially Linn sounds better with flac ......not to my ears.

With Minimserver I did try upscaling files to 24/192; Whilst I enjoyed this initially I found that it introduced a sharpness into vocals that I really didn't like, so I am back to unscaled.

On the WigWam Linn Club there is a thread about CAT8 (Supra) working very well, not tried this myself.

Hope this is of interest.

M

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my setup:

Internet (cable) > Apple Airport Router > 

1 > Home theater setup 

2 > Sonore Optical module (isolation And for streaming and control) > EtherREGEN > Qnap SilentNAS (251?) > Roon Nucleus+ > EtherREGEN > Linn Klimax DSM

Best setup so far.

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground