IGNORED

Streamers ranked by sound quality

54 minutes ago, misterspense said:

Note the standard CCA is not great, but with an improved power supply and fed through an ethernet adapter to give the small puck the best power and a hard wired ethernet signal, it starts to sound quit good.

I agree that CCA is excellent through its optical out - I have them in several rooms at home.  But I thought the only possible network connection was WiFi.  How do you connect a CCA to an RJ45?

1 hour ago, athegn said:

Interesting - the responses I've seen on Google's Chromecast help page say this:  "Wired connection is only available to Chromecast Ultra".  But I just looked at the Google Chromecast ethernet adapter page again, and it now says that it works with CCA too.  This is progress that I frankly never expected, once CCA was discontinued.  The Google adapter is only $15, but I assume it has their standard USB PS inside - and whether this affects SQ is a little controversial.  It's "only" 10/100 Mbps (man, how soon we forget what an advance 100 was!).  This is plenty of bandwidth for high res audio from most streaming services.  Tidal HiFi is the highest speed spec I've seen (1.5) except for Deezer (5Mbps for elite and 10 for multiple streams at once).

There are many web posts on many sites about hard wiring a network connection to CCA, and they seem to be spilt about equally among "works fine", "works with some fiddling around", and "couldn't get it to work".  Did that adapter work for you immediately on plugging everything in?  Any details you can offer would be greatly appreciated, e.g. can you set a fixed IP address?   Does using an ethernet connection change the process for Chromecasting directly?  Do you know if it changes the way a CCA appears on and integrates with other zones on JRiver, Roon etc?

Thanks!!

David