IGNORED

Merging Hapi - A few words about one of the best DACs I ever listened to, and that money can buy to make happy an Audiophile like me.

10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

unnamed.png.482467a92ccb010808081547aea07134.png

What's the 2 in/out jacks (on the left of 3/4 line out) ?

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

I think we might need to start a separate thread for Anubis.

Even with the long list of features most of us general consumers won't be using, the list of features that are of interest to us is enough to make it a very interesting product, even for it's price.

The Premium DXD/DSD256 version is priced similar to Chord Hugo2 and iFi Pro iDSD but with network input, so without the need for external renderers or converters.

Regarding the 6 channels outputs, as on the pictures there are only 4 line outs !

the 5-6 will be on the HPhone outs ? or maybe 5-8 as there are 2 HPhone outs? (I mean with separate DAC)

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

Thanks

@Miska 

That's very true, but here one has only 4 line outs for a room correction what is very often not enough

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

This typical pro-audio channel setup is nice, because then I can keep my headphone processing always enabled in the matrix setup and room correction for the line outs. No need to change and both can output simultaneously with different processing. :)

Big question though... how does headphone output volume control work?

Digitally controlled analogue vol control (so DSD content is not decimated)?

Or pure digital vol control (PCM only like RME)?

32 minutes ago, malarz said:

@Miska 

That's very true, but here one has only 4 line outs for a room correction what is very often not enough

Hmm, why not? For ordinary stereo pair two line outs are enough. I'm not talking about digital cross-overs, for such Hapi or NADAC would be better. Although two separate channel pair line outs are good for digitally crossing subwoofer(s) and main channels. But just room/speaker correction.

But separate outs for speakers and headphones are good because then I don't need to keep switching my matrix setup when switching between headphones and loudspeakers. Most pro-audio interfaces expose these as separate channels. While most consumer interfaces expose just two channels towards the computer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@ Miska

You are absolutely right.

Sorry, I have confused a room correction with digital XO 

On 3/16/2019 at 11:48 PM, matthias said:

Please can you share with us your complete hardware and software set-up?

I am particularly interested in your equipment upstream to the Hapi.

Thanks

Matt

Pre Ampl: Audio Research LS 25 MK II
Amp: Krell FBP 300
Loudspeakers: Usher AC10
Line cables: ART Millenium & Custom Made
Head less custom Made Music Server (powered by low noise linear power supplie)  based on Xeon processor, Dual GbE LAN based on Intel® i210-AT; IPMI remote

Custom  made Ethernet cable

Software player: HQplayer

The Merging Hapi is powered by linear power supplie

On 3/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

exaSound e38

When I had the NADAC+, I used it from a Windows PC via Ravenna

Hello Kal.

I wanted to ask you more about e38 vs Nadac. Apparently you preferred the sound of the e38, but wanted to ask you if the decision was based on sound, price, other?

In my case, I run a multi way stereo with digital xo convolved in HQPlayer. I believe you are doing 4-ways where each channel through the e38 includes the full bandwidth.

What's your thought for my application between e38 and Nadac? Or Hapi for that matter.

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

I wanted to ask you more about e38 vs Nadac. Apparently you preferred the sound of the e38, but wanted to ask you if the decision was based on sound, price, other?

"Those minuscule differences might aid those who can afford either in choosing between them, but they didn't help me."

"I'm not going to toss my e28, but the Merging Technologies NADAC Multichannel-8 does justify its far higher cost." 

Since then, exaSound has replaced the e28 with the e38 and, just now, the e38 II.  Over the same period, Merging has offered the enhancements of an external power supply and master clock modules, neither of which I have experienced.  So, your move.

22 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

In my case, I run a multi way stereo with digital xo convolved in HQPlayer. I believe you are doing 4-ways where each channel through the e38 includes the full bandwidth.

Yup.

22 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

What's your thought for my application between e38 and Nadac? Or Hapi for that matter.

I cannot imagine that there is anything about your application or mine that would decide the choice.  I made mine but I might choose differently in the future.  Sorry I can't help you.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 4/1/2019 at 12:00 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

"Those minuscule differences might aid those who can afford either in choosing between them, but they didn't help me."

"I'm not going to toss my e28, but the Merging Technologies NADAC Multichannel-8 does justify its far higher cost." 

Since then, exaSound has replaced the e28 with the e38 and, just now, the e38 II.  Over the same period, Merging has offered the enhancements of an external power supply and master clock modules, neither of which I have experienced.  So, your move.

Yup.

I cannot imagine that there is anything about your application or mine that would decide the choice.  I made mine but I might choose differently in the future.  Sorry I can't help you.  

I see.

Several years ago I bought an e32 (I think it was...top of the line then, with femto clocks, etc) and sold it back. When fed DSD from HQPlayer it was good, but as good as my Metrum Octave plus Audiophileo plus WS2012R2 running in core with. But the incumbent was half the price.

I asked about Nadac because that is what you tried. In fact I am more interested in Hapi. I understand Hapi plus D8DP card cost about $500 more than e38 and includes ADC which is important for measurements in a system like mine. The e38 is only DAC.

Has someone tried Hapi and e38?

@improvedsound

Are you feeding you Hapi DSD or PCM? 

1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

I asked about Nadac because that is what you tried. In fact I am more interested in Hapi. I understand Hapi plus D8DP card cost about $500 more than e38 and includes ADC which is important for measurements in a system like mine. The e38 is only DAC.

Understood.  I, too, am curious about the Hapi but have not yet gotten around to trying one.

Kal Rubinson

• 3 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead. 

I'm currently running an active 2.1 system and recently moved to HQPlayer,Audiolense, Mac Mini to create and process 6 pipelines of convolution filters.  These are being fed into a Motu828es. 

I am so happy with the results that I’d like to upgrade my audio interface and have seriously been considering a Merging Hapi. 

I’ve been researching as much as possible about the Hapi/HQPlayer combo but still have questions and  I’m hoping someone could shed some light on.

1. Cards:  I’m confused at which cards to purchase. I’m currently using the Motu as a input and output device in HQ Player allowing me to utilize a measurement mic and vinyl playback. (Also digital sources such as CD player)

I see merging has a ADA8/P card that looks like can do the same thing ad/da conversions. 

I also see a separate AD card and DA cards.

is using the Hapi as a input/output device recommended or should I focus on looking at a dedicated DA card like the DA8p then using the motu as the input device?    
I question the quality of the Motu AD converter as seeing the merging as a better converter which is why I wonder if I could use that ADA8 card. 

2. Dsd256 upsampling / computer processing

im currently using a 2012 Quadcore i7 Mac mini which processes 6 data streams at 192k with poly/sinc/short/lp filters but anything more than this filter combo maxes out the cpu..

I’d like to upgrade the computer to take advantage of 256DSD and other HQ player filters but not sure how much CPU power is needed in my scenario.  

will a new Mac mini be able to process 6 streams @256dsd or should I be looking at building a custom PC for something like this?

Thank you in advance for the help and suggestions. 

Erik

1 hour ago, Erik Haas said:

Bringing this thread back from the dead. 

I'm currently running an active 2.1 system and recently moved to HQPlayer,Audiolense, Mac Mini to create and process 6 pipelines of convolution filters.  These are being fed into a Motu828es. 

I am so happy with the results that I’d like to upgrade my audio interface and have seriously been considering a Merging Hapi. 

I’ve been researching as much as possible about the Hapi/HQPlayer combo but still have questions and  I’m hoping someone could shed some light on.

1. Cards:  I’m confused at which cards to purchase. I’m currently using the Motu as a input and output device in HQ Player allowing me to utilize a measurement mic and vinyl playback. (Also digital sources such as CD player)

I see merging has a ADA8/P card that looks like can do the same thing ad/da conversions. 

I also see a separate AD card and DA cards.

is using the Hapi as a input/output device recommended or should I focus on looking at a dedicated DA card like the DA8p then using the motu as the input device?    
I question the quality of the Motu AD converter as seeing the merging as a better converter which is why I wonder if I could use that ADA8 card. 

2. Dsd256 upsampling / computer processing

im currently using a 2012 Quadcore i7 Mac mini which processes 6 data streams at 192k with poly/sinc/short/lp filters but anything more than this filter combo maxes out the cpu..

I’d like to upgrade the computer to take advantage of 256DSD and other HQ player filters but not sure how much CPU power is needed in my scenario.  

will a new Mac mini be able to process 6 streams @256dsd or should I be looking at building a custom PC for something like this?

Thank you in advance for the help and suggestions. 

Erik

Hi Erik, I use the HAPI Mk2 with two DA8P cards. Great cards. 

I’m not sure how good the ADA cards are. 

A new Mac with M2 should handle your HQP needs easily. The new Mini is so cool! I’m still using my M1 though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 3/21/2019 at 5:19 AM, malarz said:

Regarding the 6 channels outputs, as on the pictures there are only 4 line outs !

the 5-6 will be on the HPhone outs ? or maybe 5-8 as there are 2 HPhone outs? (I mean with separate DAC)

I can confirm your contention about channels 5-6.  It has been a long time since I had an Anubis but my report discusses this.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-100-multichannel-merging-anubis

Kal Rubinson

On 1/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Erik, I use the HAPI Mk2 with two DA8P cards. Great cards. 

I’m not sure how good the ADA cards are. 

A new Mac with M2 should handle your HQP needs easily. The new Mini is so cool! I’m still using my M1 though. 

Thanks for getting back to me!!

How does your Hapi compare to your DCS dac?  Any negatives you've experienced with the Hapi?

Would there be any benefit in building a stand alone PC vs going to a newer Mac mini?

How many convolution channels are you running with your M1 and are you able to take advantage of all the filters/emulators for dsd256?

The only frustrating thing I run into currently is that I have to use bootcamp and change OS environments to take measurements and create the filters.   I would entertain building a PC so I don't have to eliminate this.