IGNORED

Want to wifi stream hi res from iPhone

I currently stream Tidal or Qobuz app from my iPhone 7 to my Allo Digione via UPNP.  As far as I can tell, I am limited to 16/44 even when I am playing higher resolution files.  Is there an app that will let me stream wifi from my phone at higher resolutions?

1 hour ago, KenG said:

mConnect should do the trick. Try it out with the "Lite" version and then you can determine if you need the full on version (which I think is no more than $5 to $7).

I’ve actually tried mconnect paid version on the iPhone but could not WiFi stream hires. I understand that mconnect HD may be able to but that app is only available on iPad. 

37 minutes ago, patagent said:

I’ve actually tried mconnect paid version on the iPhone but could not WiFi stream hires. I understand that mconnect HD may be able to but that app is only available on iPad. 

You're probably right. I have an Allo Signature Digione that I mostly stream from Audirvana to the Pi. I remember trying it with mConnect when I first got the Digione and it worked but may not have validated that it was transmitting Qobuz or Tidal in hi-res. I just cancelled Qobuz but will re-test Tidal over the weekend. BTW, operationally mConnect is very lacking anyway which is why I went to Audirvana. 

What absolute nonsense!

All versions of the mConnect Player app have a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA controller (aka control point) that has been designed to also provide access to the TIDAL & Qobuz online music streaming services. That UPnP/DLNA controller:

- Instructs a UPnP/DLNA renderer, such as the Allo Digione operating under UPnP, to stream audio file tracks directly from the (media) server providing them. This includes directly from both TIDAL's online server and Qobuz's online server. Therefore the mConnect Player app most certainly does not get the Allo Digione to stream TIDAL & Qobuz file tracks from the iPhone it's running on.

- Does not impose any restrictions when instructing the UPnP renderer to network stream hi-res audio file tracks, regardless as to whether you are using WiFi or the wired portion of the network.

15 hours ago, patagent said:

No, the 'HD' refers to it being designed for horizontal screen use, so tailored for the iPad and has nothing to do with the audio streaming resolution. The iPhone version has been designed for vertical screen use. Take a look at the comparison table of the various versions of conversdigital's mConnect app, on the conversdigital website:

http://conversdigital.com/eng/product/product04.php

18 hours ago, patagent said:

I currently stream Tidal or Qobuz app from my iPhone 7 to my Allo Digione via UPNP.  As far as I can tell, I am limited to 16/44 even when I am playing higher resolution files.  Is there an app that will let me stream wifi from my phone at higher resolutions?

Assuming you are connecting with an account that allows you to stream hi-res audio file tracks from Qobuz or TIDAL, what exactly is making you think that you are not able to get the Allo Digione to stream, via UPnP,  hi-res audio file tracks from those online music streaming services under the control of the mConnect Player app running on the iPhone 7?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 3/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, Cebolla said:

What absolute nonsense!

All versions of the mConnect Player app have a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA controller (aka control point) that has been designed to also provide access to the TIDAL & Qobuz online music streaming services. That UPnP/DLNA controller:

- Instructs a UPnP/DLNA renderer, such as the Allo Digione operating under UPnP, to stream audio file tracks directly from the (media) server providing them. This includes directly from both TIDAL's online server and Qobuz's online server. Therefore the mConnect Player app most certainly does not get the Allo Digione to stream TIDAL & Qobuz file tracks from the iPhone it's running on.

- Does not impose any restrictions when instructing the UPnP renderer to network stream hi-res audio file tracks, regardless as to whether you are using WiFi or the wired portion of the network.

No, the 'HD' refers to it being designed for horizontal screen use, so tailored for the iPad and has nothing to do with the audio streaming resolution. The iPhone version has been designed for vertical screen use. Take a look at the comparison table of the various versions of conversdigital's mConnect app, on the conversdigital website:

http://conversdigital.com/eng/product/product04.php

Assuming you are connecting with an account that allows you to stream hi-res audio file tracks from Qobuz or TIDAL, what exactly is making you think that you are not able to get the Allo Digione to stream, via UPnP,  hi-res audio file tracks from those online music streaming services under the control of the mConnect Player app running on the iPhone 7?

When I check volumio.local all hi res files are reported as 16/44.  Please also see this link:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/info/hi-fi/bancs-d-essai/qobuz-application-m-connect-player180019

Mmm - I suggest you (& whoever wrote that article on the Qobuz site) best check the mconnect Player app's Qobuz (& also TIDAL) account connection settings:

image.png.01266b6af0df4dad4078cee745af959a.png

Just tested streaming Qobuz hi-res file tracks fully working with the foobar2000 UPnP renderer on Windows, controlled with the mconnect Player Lite app - so not even the paid mconnect Player version, let alone mconnect Player HD!

image.png.2907715f0e8dbf72d6c86c1df1b81d8e.png

image.thumb.png.b4acd71740d7fb66cccb4fba94ee0af4.png

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

But here is the rub.  Windows can stream hi-res, a Mac can stream hi-res, but as far as I know, an iPhone just can't.  It isn't a hardware restriction, it is iOS that limits things.  In order to stream hi-res you need to bypass the OS, and while that is possible, nobody seems to have bothered.  That is, up until a few weeks ago nobody had bothered.  While it isn't streaming via UPnP, Tidal can now play MQA from an iPhone to an outboard DAC.  It does the first unfold in software and the DAC can do the second.  I have it working on my iPhone, and started a thread here.  I must be the only one that's tried because it hasn't had a response yet after a day, but this is a slow board.

???

What does attempting to get the iPhone itself to stream and play hi-res audio file tracks have anything to do with the OP's issue of getting an Allo Digione containing device (ie, a Raspberry Pi) to stream & play said hi-res tracks via UPnP under control of the mConnect Player (UPnP controller) app running on the iPhone?

Admittedly, the thread's title doesn't make this clear.

-- Jo Cox

On 3/23/2019 at 9:21 AM, Cebolla said:

Mmm - I suggest you (& whoever wrote that article on the Qobuz site) best check the mconnect Player app's Qobuz (& also TIDAL) account connection settings:

image.png.01266b6af0df4dad4078cee745af959a.png

Just tested streaming Qobuz hi-res file tracks fully working with the foobar2000 UPnP renderer on Windows, controlled with the mconnect Player Lite app - so not even the paid mconnect Player version, let alone mconnect Player HD!

image.png.2907715f0e8dbf72d6c86c1df1b81d8e.png

image.thumb.png.b4acd71740d7fb66cccb4fba94ee0af4.png

Mconnect is at the highest streaming resolution. I have no issues streaming hi res to volumio from Audirvana. 

5 hours ago, Cebolla said:

???

What does attempting to get the iPhone itself to stream and play hi-res audio file tracks have anything to do with the OP's issue of getting an Allo Digione containing device (ie, a Raspberry Pi) to stream & play said hi-res tracks via UPnP under control of the mConnect Player (UPnP controller) app running on the iPhone?

Admittedly, the thread's title doesn't make this clear.

Ive tried this with mConnect and cannot get volumio to show higher than 16/44 even when playing known hires files on mConnect.

Oh my, zacster!

Your last post is a minefield of misinformation, confusion & irrelevance as far as using the mconnect Player iOS app for controlling the playback of Qobuz & TIDAL audio file tracks on UPnP streamers is concerned.

17 hours ago, zacster said:

But read the first line.  "I currently stream Tidal or Qobuz app from my iPhone 7 to my Allo Digione via UPNP. "  That says he is streaming directly from his iPhone

Irrelevant - That is what the OP believes happens with UPnP streaming and is incorrect. I did point this out in my first post - but you have chosen to ignore that:

On 3/16/2019 at 10:48 AM, Cebolla said:

Just to be clear, the mconnect player app does not stream, decode and play any tracks when it is being used for controlling UPnP streamers. The UPnP device streams directly from the Qobuz or TIDAL online server, not the iPhone.

If you don't believe me - why does Volumio carry on playing the whole of the current Qobuz or TIDAL track when you're using UPnP with the mconnect Player iOS app, even after switching off the iPhone just after the track has started playing?

It does not say he is controlling mConnect player.   And actually having re-read the thread, he doesn't ever say that.  I have to ask, what is the streaming app and computer?  If it is software running on an iPhone it just won't work.

Misinformation - nobody said anything about anyone controlling mConnect Player. You appear to be confused with what is meant by using mConnect Player for controlling UPnP streamers.

Also consider MQA is proprietary, and only the Tidal app running on an iPhone can play them and decode.  That leaves Qobuz, which is new.  Maybe it can play hi-res, but I haven't figured that out yet. 

Irrelevant - I repeat, the mconnect player app does not stream, decode and play any tracks when it is being used for controlling UPnP streamers. So no point even mentioning MQA tracks.

He is also using Volumio, and I can tell you that also does not stream hi-res from the services.  I run Volumio, and the only way I get hi-res is to use Audirvana over UPnP from my Mac.  Nothing else seems to work, not iTunes, not Airplay.  Nothing Apple.

Irrelevant - Airplay streaming (which does rely on the sending app to play music, then captures that audio & streams at a fixed 16/44.1kHz CD res) does not work in the same way as UPnP streaming.

Apple has had a bug up their ass about hi-res from the start.  It would eat into their crappy iTunes downloads.  I put some hi-res vinyl rips in 24/96 on iTunes and it wouldn't play them on my phone either, only on the Mac. 

Irrelevant - What has this to do with UPnP streaming?

-- Jo Cox

14 hours ago, patagent said:

Ive tried this with mConnect and cannot get volumio to show higher than 16/44 even when playing known hires files on mConnect.

Ok let's try a new tack, given that @zacster mentioned AirPlay and that has reminded me that Volumio also supports AirPlay streaming as well as UPnP:

Are you certain you have chosen Volumio as a UPnP device and not AirPlay in the mconnect Player app?

It might be worth switching off Volumio's AirPlay support, as the mconnect Player app might have a bug & getting confused when it detects a device that supports both UPnP & AirPlay, maybe using Airplay instead of UPnP even when selecting it.

-- Jo Cox

Should have been more careful with my description but that's what sometimes happens when I type on my iPhone.  Was trying to emphasize that I like to use phone apps to control streaming of music.  In any case, I could stream hi res using Audirvana but I prefer the Tidal and Qobuz interface on my phone over the A+ iOS remote.  

I tried once again to use stream Tidal MQA files by specifying UPnP Volumio output on mconnect app.  I could get it up to 24 bits depth but could not get past 44/48 khz on volumio.local even when mconnect indicated that hires files were playing.  I even tried forcing the master clock at higher rates but that had no effect on volumio.local screen.  I have no problems streaming hires when I use Audirvana and specify UPnP output on my MacBook.

Indeed, plus it needs to be a DAC that fully decodes MQA, not one that is just an MQA renderer. However, though important, that's not really the immediate concern of this discussion.

The OP has for the first time stated that Volumio is actually UPnP streaming hi-res audio file tracks from an online music service when controlled with the mconnect Player iOS app: the (undecoded) TIDAL audio file tracks, which are supplied by TIDAL's online server at the resolution of either 24/44.1kHz or 24/48.

-- Jo Cox

4 hours ago, patagent said:

I tried once again to use stream Tidal MQA files by specifying UPnP Volumio output on mconnect app.  I could get it up to 24 bits depth but could not get past 44/48 khz on volumio.local even when mconnect indicated that hires files were playing.

Great, so you are now getting hi-res , not CD res at 16/44.1kHz!

Those 24/44.1kHz and 24/48kHz resolutions are still considered to be hi-res, so the mconnect Player's display is correct. Presumably you were using AirPlay before, not UPnP - an easy mistake to make considering how much priority for AirPlay is imposed on iOS app designers by Apple.

4 hours ago, patagent said:

I even tried forcing the master clock at higher rates but that had no effect on volumio.local screen.  I have no problems streaming hires when I use Audirvana and specify UPnP output on my MacBook.

This is a TIDAL MQA specific issue, which I can go into if you want me to. However, my current concern is that you haven't yet mentioned that Volumio is also UPnP streaming hi-res Qobuz tracks (so 'normal' FLAC files and nothing to do with MQA)  when controlling with the mconnect Player iOS app.

Could you please confirm that you are getting up to 24/192kHz when UPnP streaming, by testing with an appropriate Qobuz hi-res album, eg the "Jazz Dispensary Soul Diesel Vol 2 (192 kHz)" I tested with & posted earlier?

-- Jo Cox