IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

51 minutes ago, Exocer said:

This is a very good data point. Happy to see that it the issue is not limited to Schiit Unison USB DACs. Will let Zeljko know.

maybe not so fast. I couldn’t reproduce it last night and I listened to numerous tracks from DSD (converted to PCM) to 44/96/192. Very strange. Until I see otherwise no issue on my side. 

23 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

I've now received the exactly the same new "2666 speed" Apacer to replace my Apacer 2400, after several weeks on back-order.

A brief history of my NUC7i7DN RAM journey:

1. 2x8GB stock RAM reduced to 1x8GB stock. Incremental but immediately obvious SQ improvement.

2. 1x8GB stock to 1x4GB Apacer 2400. A significantly bigger across-the-board SQ improvement.

3. 1x4GB Apacer 2400 to 1x8GB Apacer 2666. Short answer: Wow! The longer answer.....

With step 3, my start point happened to be a cold system and, as a precaution, ramroot disabled. From the first minute, SQ was poor. So I tried again that evening about 10 hours later and with ramroot enabled. What a difference!. The sound was remarkably focused, clear and dynamic. In one word: "Vivid". Also maybe a touch brighter than I'd like? The sound seemed to change over the next couple of days, so that I was starting to forget my original reference.

So after 5 days, I swapped back the Apacer 2400 - and the sound immediately became flatter, softer, rather muffled. Difficult to imagine this was a sound I was very happy with a week ago. Now it was dull and boring.

Back to the Apacer 2666 and Wow! Again, the one word Vivid comes to mind. Comparing some of my brighter recordings, the 2666 actually handles these better by, for example, better separating the body of a female vocal away from the sibilance and reverb. The 2400 tends to smear all these together. I'm still getting used to the intensity of the new presentation, but remember this is with the latest Euphony release that several others have had a brightness problem with (that overall hadn't bothered me).

I can't get over how big a change this has been for me - especially considering it cost less than £100. If anyone is still using stock RAM in their NUC, I consider this to be a mandatory upgrade. As always, YMMV. I have no idea why this was such a big change for me - yet I can't tell the difference whether or not the network is disabled when playing buffered music files.

PS. I see that mouser.uk has again got a long back-order lead time, despite having recently received  new shipment.

If your motherboard allows, try changing speed and voltage of the ram I had good results doing this. 

4 hours ago, flkin said:

If your motherboard allows, try changing speed and voltage of the ram I had good results doing this. 

I've attached a screenshot of my RAM BIOS settings. The values on the left are display-only. I can't seem to change them.

One immediate thought: The display shows speed of 2400 despite this model's spec being 2666.

What do you suggest the speed and voltage be changed to?

I'm looking for one-shot change - I can't easily keep trying things out in BIOS as I don't have a monitor or keyboard.RAM.thumb.jpg.95776d32f552d2d3a8d3237046639e38.jpg

On 3/18/2021 at 10:46 AM, di-fi said:

Hi Tokyokyoto,

Thanks for sharing. To solve the problem, it would be good to share as much details as possible. 

So you experience strident distortion during the whole track, but you can still hear the music playing (at a higher speed?). This happens when you change between tracks with different bit depths (16/24/32 bits)? When this happens Euphony becomes unresponsive and needs a 'Restart app' command? This happens when playing Euphony endpoint to Amanero usb (as player?).

Do you play with ramroot, do you activate 'buffer before play 100%'  and 'buffer albums to queue'?

Any other specific settings?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate.

Paul

I haven’t been able to offer any updated information on this because I ran into other audio issues (amp) and have been unable to listen.  

Any news on potential software release to remedy the sound issues that were troublesome to many?

6 hours ago, Tokyokyoto said:

I haven’t been able to offer any updated information on this because I ran into other audio issues (amp) and have been unable to listen.  

Any news on potential software release to remedy the sound issues that were troublesome to many?

Solutions that were tried by Euphony in the last week did not solve the problem. Unfortunately as long as we do not know exactly what causes the distortion, and what similarities exist between different users to clearly describe the problem, a remedy can not be developed. Each user that thinks it is Euphony related should report to Euphony so they can take a look, maybe that will shed more light.

12 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

I've attached a screenshot of my RAM BIOS settings. The values on the left are display-only. I can't seem to change them.

One immediate thought: The display shows speed of 2400 despite this model's spec being 2666.

I'm looking for one-shot change - I can't easily keep trying things out in BIOS as I don't have a monitor or keyboard.RAM.thumb.jpg.95776d32f552d2d3a8d3237046639e38.jpg

I would have to say that optimal ram settings are probably system dependent   so what works in my system might not necessarily work in your setup. I too don’t have a graphics card, monitor and keyboard attached normally but I got myself a set and tried many combinations of setting. Turns out Ram settings affects the sound in a big way.

Given this and your requirement of a single setting to try, I would choose one of the following and see how it goes. 

- Ram speed 2666, voltage 1.14v

- Ram speed 2800, voltage 1.14v

The RAM parameters on the right side of your pic will switch themselves to adjust to the new settings. 

Please note that it might be risky to change default settings as you’re pushing the ram to operate outside its normal parameters. It should probably be fine but just noted that anything can happen. 

I wrote up my experience doing this here for more info. https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/43629-pink-faun-216/?do=findComment&comment=1073511

Back to Euphony support, we’re far off the track....

On 3/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, TheAttorney said:

Feel free to experiment but I would leave in automatic (in my systems I have it like that) I discovered after testing memory on different systems (for other applications not necessarily audio) that if you want a stable system it is better go with the defaults. Even underclocking and undervolting memory under its max specs (which you would think would not create any issues) it actually does and makes the memory to start generating errors (I've spent weeks running memtest pro for different types and settings). Of course an audio system doesn't have to be strictly stable as audio is really not a critical app so give it a spin if you feel like it.

A different question. Euphony is not allowing me to upload a 1,6 Gb file into my music library (located in the internal SSD used as the Euphony drive). Currently I use the file manager to upload files. error message is: "400: ENOSPC: no space left on device, write"

2 questions: 

- How do I solve this limitation?

- Can I map a network drive on my Mac? 

Hello Euphony users, I am using 20210217v3.  I keep getting ENOTFOUND errors despite having good network connection.  I don't have this issue with earlier versions of Euphony.

Anyone else seeing ENOTFOUND problem?  Thanks.

Screenshot_20210320-221235_Euphony.jpg

Screenshot_20210320-222353_Euphony.jpg

Music server builder

11 hours ago, Anwar said:

Hello Euphony users, I am using 20210217v3.  I keep getting ENOTFOUND errors despite having good network connection.  I don't have this issue with earlier versions of Euphony.

Anyone else seeing ENOTFOUND problem?  Thanks.

Screenshot_20210320-221235_Euphony.jpg

Screenshot_20210320-222353_Euphony.jpg

Hi, I reported this message last Friday (see post in this thread) it popped up once (with v. 20210108) in my quest to have a distortion free version of Euphony. I’ve seen this message in the past when it had to do with Euphony having problems to read from SSD due to a SATA cable connection. Maybe a contact/hardware issue? You know you can send logs to Euphony so they can troubleshoot?

56 minutes ago, di-fi said:

Hi, I reported this message last Friday (see post in this thread) it popped up once (with v. 20210108) in my quest to have a distortion free version of Euphony. I’ve seen this message in the past when it had to do with Euphony having problems to read from SSD due to a SATA cable connection. Maybe a contact/hardware issue? You know you can send logs to Euphony so they can troubleshoot?

@Anwar  The Op is using an iFi micro USB hub for external drive connectivity + DAC connection and a fast NVMe drive for OS. Probably should go direct

to NUC with external drive to see if problem goes away, could be hardware timing issue between NUC and external drive with the hub in the drive access path

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

23 hours ago, al2813 said:

A different question. Euphony is not allowing me to upload a 1,6 Gb file into my music library (located in the internal SSD used as the Euphony drive). Currently I use the file manager to upload files. error message is: "400: ENOSPC: no space left on device, write"

2 questions: 

- How do I solve this limitation?

- Can I map a network drive on my Mac? 

You should be able to map the drive. Just make sure in Euphony settings you tick the box share library over network. Then map using IP/Folder

On 3/20/2021 at 4:10 PM, TheAttorney said:

You don't need to touch any of those other settings. Just select XMP Profile 1 from the "Memory Profiles" list and it should go with the 2666 spec and correct values.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks for the replies.  euphony20210217v3.img is the filename of downloaded image, most people here called this version 217, the version which I prefer.  More on that in another posting.

I no longer use NUC7i5 with iFi Micro USB, right now using AsRock J5040-ITX (Pentium Silver) with DIY multi-rail linear PSU based on LT1764A regulators.  I need to update my system profile and pictures.

Željko spent a bit of time checking my system's log files and debug remotely.  Apparently the ENOTFOUND issue was caused by my router not having iPv6 enabled.  I use TP-Link MR600 4G+ router but the mobile carrier is only using iPv4.  After I enabled iPv6 inside the router, the ENOTFOUND errors are no longer seen.

Music server builder

On 3/22/2021 at 8:13 PM, Miska said:

You don't need to touch any of those other settings. Just select XMP Profile 1 from the "Memory Profiles" list and it should go with the 2666 spec and correct values.

I've tried really hard going through every BIOS screen 5 times and reading lots of NUC guides, but my NUC7i7DN just doesn't support XMP profiles, doesn't support voltage updates, and only supports speed changes that are less than the default 2400 (the highest multiplier in the drop-down is 16). Therefore I can't get any better than 2400 at 1.2V. So I'm done with trying.

Shame because I was half hoping that Z could add some of these parameters in Expert settings as they have the potential to be more important for SQ than most of the existing settings. But I guess that there are just too many variables and limitations across the different motherboards for this to be practical.

Anyway, even with the defaults, this new Apacer 2666 is miles better than my previous 2400 - despite running at the same speed and voltage. Maybe it's because I run the CPU at a low speed 1.2Ghz that the speed of the RAM is not so important - there must be other quality factors that do matter.

albums per row -Just learned something thats helping me, adding since I don't find in the thread. Using a widescreen with Windows browser I was getting

a 3x2 album cover display from Euphony GUI which wasn't useful  for album browsing.  if you  click repeatedly at the bottom of the screen just below

the last album row you can change albums per row, I was able to bump up to 7

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

albums per row -Just learned something thats helping me, adding since I don't find in the thread. Using a widescreen with Windows browser I was getting

a 3x2 album cover display from Euphony GUI which wasn't useful  for album browsing.  if you  click repeatedly at the bottom of the screen just below

Yeh I discovered that after s year of using also! Just by clicking mouse in wrong place! 

12 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Maybe it's because I run the CPU at a low speed 1.2Ghz that the speed of the RAM is not so important - there must be other quality factors that do matter.

I saw in earlier posts that you had been running between 1 and 1.5. Was this in bios as well? Just altering in expert settings does not change the CPU reported frequency for me

11 hours ago, davide256 said:

Albums per row - I can make it work on iPad Pro 9.7! And Samsung tablet. Thanks davide256!

So on IPad click at bottom right corner , in an empty space just above the menu bar, where it shows bit depth and rate. You seem to have to scroll up all albums until you reach an empty space. 

* Albums / row 3,4,5,6 and 7 covers option (landscape).

* Albums / row 3 or 4 covers option (portrait).

If there are any more known hidden options, please share. In dashboard mode I would love to remove/ customize the few first categories/ lines with covers. I never look at them. 

8CDABC1E-8632-4F23-8F0D-4FF459E97647.jpeg

For 7 covers per row in portrait mode, choose this option in landscape mode and simply turn tablet in portrait mode. You will have 7 covers/row.

* correction : you can click/tap anywhere in empty space slightly above the bottom menu bar (not only bottom right corner)

19 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Tôi đã thực sự cố gắng xem qua mọi màn hình BIOS 5 lần và đọc rất nhiều hướng dẫn NUC, nhưng NUC7i7DN của tôi không hỗ trợ cấu hình XMP, không hỗ trợ cập nhật điện áp và chỉ hỗ trợ thay đổi tốc độ thấp hơn 2400 mặc định (hệ số cao nhất trong menu thả xuống là 16). Vì vậy, tôi không thể nhận được bất kỳ tốt hơn 2400 ở 1.2V. Vì vậy, tôi đã hoàn thành việc cố gắng.

Xấu hổ vì tôi đã một nửa hy vọng rằng Z có thể thêm một số thông số này trong cài đặt Chuyên gia vì chúng có khả năng quan trọng hơn đối với SQ so với hầu hết các cài đặt hiện có. Nhưng tôi đoán rằng có quá nhiều biến số và hạn chế trên các bo mạch chủ khác nhau để điều này trở nên thực tế.

Dù sao, ngay cả với giá trị mặc định, Apacer mới này 2666 là dặm tốt hơn so với trước đây của tôi 2400 - mặc dù chạy cùng tốc độ và điện áp. Có thể do tôi chạy CPU ở tốc độ thấp 1.2Ghz nên tốc độ của RAM không quá quan trọng - phải có các yếu tố chất lượng khác mới quan trọng.

Can you tell me how to order apacer 2666 8gb ram that is suitable for my main Msi 310m pro?  thank you