IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

8 hours ago, One and a half said:

Is the roon core on Euphony OS or another OS? Not the server version, no?

Yes, the Roon core is running on Euphony OS

5 hours ago, biosailor said:

It’s strange to see the huge span of opinions when it comes to digital audio! I myself never liked Roon Core with regards to sound quality. It’s got a great UI, but in my system, and I stress the fact in my system, Roon always sounded anaemic, flat and unengaging. Most importantly, it was bass shy!

Eupgony stylus turned out to be in my system a revelation. All of a sudden, the sound was enjoyable again, full, lively, and the spatial resolution was just stunning! Stylus is debated again whether it didn’t lose a bit of SQ with the latest upgrades, but for me it sounds just perfect!

I must say that running Roon Core from Euphony improved Roon’s SQ quit a bit, but not to the level of Stylus.

These impressions might be caused by my system, and thinking of the quite complex route (MacBook Air > Ethernet > Raspberry Pi 4B running RopieeeXL > USB > Devialet), others may well get completely different perception of SQ depending on their system. So if Stylus is my favorite, it doesn’t need to be someone else’s favorite!

Yes, in my system Stylus is ok but not great.  As soon as I switched to Roon I couldn’t believe the difference, but then it could just be the makeup of my system.  All I know is I’m enjoying the music.  

Colin

33 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Yes, the Roon core is running on Euphony OS

Yes, in my system Stylus is ok but not great.  As soon as I switched to Roon I couldn’t believe the difference, but then it could just be the makeup of my system.  All I know is I’m enjoying the music.  

Colin

That’s the most important thing! Keep enjoying it!

Does anyone have difficulty with Stylus either not playing song after song consecutively in the queue or just have a general difficulty playing songs at all?

I use Stylus with HQP Embedded.  I buffer each song 100%.  I almost never get a consistent listening experience.  Always struggling to get songs to play.  Not sure if it's Stylus, HQP or both.

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Does anyone have difficulty with Stylus either not playing song after song consecutively in the queue or just have a general difficulty playing songs at all?

I use Stylus with HQP Embedded.  I buffer each song 100%.  I almost never get a consistent listening experience.  Always struggling to get songs to play.  Not sure if it's Stylus, HQP or both.

I did have problems with Stylus initially inasmuch as it tended to skip the first track and started playing from track two on. Not consistently, but quite often. Sometimes, but rarely, it would stop after a track and not proceed to the next one.

I submitted a ticket to Euphony Audio and Zeljko found the problem (he talked of a weird timing problem). I suggest you submit a ticket, too?

Keep my fingers crossed that the problem can be fixed.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

Hi,
it may be because of the Hqplayer. It needs a lot of computing power. I had dropouts. Without a Hqplayer, the music plays immediately. Temp / CPU then shows a red bar.

Jörg

I went back to the version .... 102 and the sound returned pleasant, full, musical and above all real and natural. With the latest versions, I honestly lost a lot of the listening pleasure that led me to buy the license, too digital and aseptic for my system. Obviously they are tastes

3 hours ago, maxst67 said:

I went back to the version .... 102 and the sound returned pleasant, full, musical and above all real and natural. With the latest versions, I honestly lost a lot of the listening pleasure that led me to buy the license, too digital and aseptic for my system. Obviously they are tastes

How did you go back? Support ticket?

I seem to have lost perspective on previous releases now, but still find the latest too sterile. 

I have to say I have not got on with Roon however I have applied it. It was best through Euphony, but still lagging a way behind Stylus in terms of musicality, detail and involvement. My latest trial ends tomorrow and I will not miss it.

1 hour ago, Speedy381 said:

How did you go back? Support ticket?

I seem to have lost perspective on previous releases now, but still find the latest too sterile. 

Setup a support ticket with Euphony and they will get you an image of euphony20201102v3. You then have to use an app like Rufus or Etcher to create a bootable image on a USB thumb drive. They can't bring you back to 108 as features have changed. 

I've held off myself and instead tweaked the core isolation. The latest update definitely is an uptick in performance so I want to keep it if possible and keep going forward with updates. However, I agree, I appreciate the new build technically, but I am not enjoying music as much. 

And... I think, I'm not sure, but I do think that all this is to actually enjoy music. I don't know maybe that's just crazy talk. 

12 minutes ago, edwardsean said:

And... I think, I'm not sure, but I do think that all this is to actually enjoy music. I don't know maybe that's just crazy talk. 

Agreed., madness lies this way. I thought I was over that, but it never goes. 

A new update has just landed on my NUC, I see. Too late tonight, but looking forward to that one

6 hours ago, Joerg D said:

Hi,
it may be because of the Hqplayer. It needs a lot of computing power. I had dropouts. Without a Hqplayer, the music plays immediately. Temp / CPU then shows a red bar.

Jörg

It may be because of the sync between Symphony, HQP and the NAA.  It isn't a hardware issue.

3 hours ago, edwardsean said:

Okay, well, yeah, I went back to 20201102. Just FYI, it's pretty easy, but I did have a hiccup. Whenever I tried to install Euphony into my Optane SSD using "repair" it didn't work. I had to go with a full "install." This was fine because I lost a few playlists but I have no music on the SSD. 

So, how does the old build sound vs.217? You know how memory of sound is unreliable in audio? Well...

In this case, it is exactly as I remembered. I'm sorry, because I know a lot of effort must go into each update, but:

This is the sound of Euphony!

102 doesn't have the laser etched precision of 217.  So, if accuracy and hyper clarity is your thing, stick with the new build. However, to my ears, 102 doesn't seem like it's lacking detail or overly soft and diffuse. Disengaging Ramroot does have that negative effect. The rendering though, for better or worse, is "looser."

The whole feel is more relaxing, full, and open. 217 felt refreshing, but also tight and closed at times. I dislike simplistic conclusions, but, for what it's worth, my cores are running about 5 degrees cooler now across the board. I do wonder if 217 is pushing more and therefore squeezing out more precision but also giving that sense of strain.

To tell you the truth, I think if you could increase precision while retaining the smoother sound of older builds that would be optimum.  Right now, we have to choose, and the difference is real. For me, I'm staying with the older sound no question. There is a certain natural, analog, and pleasing presentation that I associate with Euphony. The sound is, what's the term I'm looking for? 

"Euphonic."

Exactly what I'm referring to. I don't think it's a joke of memory, the difference is too obvious between the old version and the new one. While understanding the efforts and commitment of the Euphony developers who in my opinion did something extraordinary with Stylus, the latest version in my system made me want to turn off the music, while with the previous version everything is more balanced. it's natural (especially the voices) and it's hard to turn off the system. Maybe it will depend on my setup which will be too revealing (I also have linear power supply with Belleson regulators for the dedicated pc and I use an Aqua la Scala dac which in themselves gives a natural tone) but this is my opinion.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:08 PM, maxst67 said:

Hi,
Can you tell me how to get back to 102, can you share the steps with me.

I was telling my friend that I thought I preferred the old version of euphony more than the newer versions but I'm not sure because I couldn't compare it.

3 hours ago, NanoSword said:

Hi,
Can you tell me how to get back to 102, can you share the steps with me.

I was telling my friend that I thought I preferred the old version of euphony more than the newer versions but I'm not sure because I couldn't compare it.

To go back to version 102 just send a ticket to Euphony and they will send you the image of this version. Then you have to redo the installation procedure via USB and install it to insert it on the internal ssd

3 hours ago, maxst67 said:

To go back to version 102 just send a ticket to Euphony and they will send you the image of this version. Then you have to redo the installation procedure via USB and install it to insert it on the internal ssd

Hi, I am still on version 108 (which was the first version I really installed as I purchased Stylus in January). Is it worth reverting to 102 as well? I have fired up the support site to submit a ticket but thought I'd ask here first :-) 

10 minutes ago, al2813 said:

Hi, I am still on version 108 (which was the first version I really installed as I purchased Stylus in January). Is it worth reverting to 102 as well? I have fired up the support site to submit a ticket but thought I'd ask here first :-) 

The 108 sounds very good, there is no need to switch to 102. It wasn't until 116 that the sound became slimmer.

Jörg

Could anybody help me in the following?

I use Euphony app from android where the app goes to offline after short time then it takes 3-6 secs to wake up. Quite disturbing when I just move to other app then return in 10-20 secs when I need to wait 3-6secs to reach Euphony app to make any play action.

1 hour ago, BTO said:

Could anybody help me in the following?

I use Euphony app from android where the app goes to offline after short time then it takes 3-6 secs to wake up. Quite disturbing when I just move to other app then return in 10-20 secs when I need to wait 3-6secs to reach Euphony app to make any play action.

I experienced similar thing before.  Google "prevent Android app from going to sleep" and you will see instructions on how to do the app setting.

Music server builder

Not long ago I posted about an issue I was having with songs not automatically playing from my queue with Stylus.   I received a response from Željko about it.  Indeed it is a bug and a bigger issue than expected.  I also noticed HQPe was not recognizing my tracks as 24 bit.  It thinks everything is 16 bit.  Both of these issues are tied to the same Stylus bug.  Here is Željko's response.

Even though I really like how Stylus sounds, I'm going to start going in another direction until this is resolved.

"this is an issue with the current limitation of Stylus - HQPlayer integration.

It was initially conceived that since HQPlayer plays only limited set of song formats if HQPlayer-incompatible song comes for playback Stylus would take over and play the file.
So everything was organized around Stylus being able to play a song if needed. In your case, where there are no local audio outputs, Stylus player logic is in a weird disabled state. While it can still set a song for HQPlayer playback on explicit command it does not properly take care of the song transition situation.

I'm just explaining why it doesn't work, not justifying - this is obviously a bug - as we added the ability for HQPlayer to play on remote NAA where local audio devices are not needed we did not properly adjust the remaining logic for playback continuity.

If you had internal audio cards you could enable them so Stylus could at least think it can do playback but since you do not have any audio device whatsoever there is no solution until we fix this.
If the solution were simple I would have fixed it immediately for your installation but I'm not sure what exactly I must do and how many changes would this require so you will have to wait for the next release.

Both issues are connected to this same bug - even though HQPlayer is actually playing a song, Stylus player logic does not know it, does not check for playback status, position update or input format and samplerate..."

Sorry for the inconvenience."

Update: Željko took a further look and all was not as it appeared.  He found another cause and implemented a workaround.  I'll just quote his response here:

"In your case HQPlayer does not correctly report the song position so the position update from HQPlayer just stops 5-6 seconds before the end of the song (I guess in reality HQPlayer finished playback already?!).
Since logic relies on song position and expects that playback will last at least for the song duration +-N seconds and since N was set to 3 - in your case the song end was not picked up and End-Of-Song event was not triggered (so the next song was not played).
I just set N to 7 on your installation and everything works (except you will have 5-6 seconds pause between songs - which I cannot do anything about - I cannot guess when will HQPlayer actually finish playback).

There were some errors in the log related to the bug I described earlier but I don't think this bug was part of your issue.

Input samplerate was another issue (not exactly a bug but it needs to be fixed via the correct settings presentation).
I have to check again but last time I tried HQPlayer did not want to play downloaded Qobuz songs. Because of that, songs are automatically converted to wav format after downloading and this conversion uses "UPnP conv. bit depth" settings. Default was 16 so I set it to 24 now. I will have to make clear in the next version that those conversion settings are applicable for UPnP and HQPlayer playback both."