IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

For those who went back to build ...108, I take it you updated directly to ...217 and so you could use the "revert to previous version" option? 

I wonder if I revert to ...216, I can go back one more to ...108. I'm tempted to try but I get a message that cautions me about using this feature. 

I also, as a rule, would like to keep going forward with updates rather than backward. I hope a newer build might realign the balance between clarity and fullness. 

16 minutes ago, edwardsean said:

For those who went back to build ...108, I take it you updated directly to ...217 and so you could use the "revert to previous version" option? 

I wonder if I revert to ...216, I can go back one more to ...108. I'm tempted to try but I get a message that cautions me about using this feature. 

I also, as a rule, would like to keep going forward with updates rather than backward. I hope a newer build might realign the balance between clarity and fullness. 

Hi Edwardsean, as far as I know you can go back one version. So you can go back to 216 but I think it is not possible to go back to 108. When you want to revert you always gets a warning that not all versions are compatible with each other. So it can be risky and when you doubt to do it you can bether ask Zeljko first.

1 hour ago, edwardsean said:

As per this article: https://euphony-audio.com/hesk/knowledgebase.php?article=9 since there are 2 equivalent OS partitions (active and inactive) and image update always changes the other partition - you can only switch (revert) between the 2 last image updates. Revert is just booting from the other partition (nothing is downloaded). 

12 hours ago, Joerg D said:

Hallo

I always get the message:

Sorry, you don't have enough RAM to use ramroot with Euphony.

Jörg

You never get the exact value of the installed memory available to you (neither on Windows or Linux). Some of it is reserved by kernel and some by BIOS - depending on the machine/BIOS. Ramroot threshold is somewhere around 4GB so while some users with "4GB" can enter it, others can't.
Try to check BIOS settings and see if there is any mention of "reserved memory" (maybe for the graphics card) and see if you can lower that. 

I don't know if it's just suggestion (obviously I don't think it is ironic) but with this latest version I have a slight listening fatigue that was previously absent, as if the previously pleasant balance has shifted towards an excessive subtlety of sound and harshness of the high tones .... I really hope the Euphony developers take action ....any of you have news about it?

3 minutes ago, maxst67 said:

I don't know if it's just suggestion (obviously I don't think it is ironic) but with this latest version I have a slight listening fatigue that was previously absent, as if the previously pleasant balance has shifted towards an excessive subtlety of sound and harshness of the high tones .... I really hope the Euphony developers take action ....any of you have news about it?

I must come to Euphony‘s rescue, maybe I‘m the only one. I agree, Stylus sounds a bit leaner than in the previous version. As a matter of fact, I like it. Previously, although great sound, I thought Stylus sounds sometimes too lush, too much smoothness. I like it the way it is now, livelier and faster. But never to the extent of causing harshness leading to listening fatigue. 

With Roon, I often encounter listening fatigue and it is terribly bass-shy!

So for me, all good, though I have no information as to Euphony‘s attitude regarding future updates and sound quality.

My initial impression about Version 20210217 is that it sounds better without RAM root.  The sound of 20210217 without RAM root is almost similar to 20210108 with RAM root.  Version 20210217 with RAM root sounds more digital and lacks warmth.

Since the boot time without RAM root is faster and Euphony is more stable without RAM root, I like this new development.  My Euphony sometimes has album artwork display problem when running with RAM root  - the artwork is not displayed properly despite artwork picture file inside each music folder.

Music server builder

Reading all the posts here I have no desire to update..... Yesterday I listened to music the whole evening and I like it as it is now. Only one issue bugs me, I need to reboot my Roon core (used in core + stylus EP mode - works great for me), evey time I start my Roon app as Qobuz login is not working. Reboot Roon core and issue solved. For now, I will stay with the 108 version.....

4 minutes ago, Anwar said:

My initial impression about Version 20210217 is that it sounds better without RAM root.  The sound of 20210217 without RAM root is almost similar to 20210108 with RAM root.  Version 20210217 with RAM root sounds more digital and lacks warmth.

That's my next experiment, thanks. I feel it was a big jump, with a lack of mid bass and emotion. Fingers crossed 

And very important, with the present update, I am able to distinguish between good recordings and bad ones. In the previous version, everything was glossed over with a ‚euphonic‘ wand and everything sounded good. Now I pick again those details that let me decide if the recording is good or bad. For me, a good development.

I never tried ramroot, though I might at one point.

5 minutes ago, biosailor said:

And very important, with the present update, I am able to distinguish between good recordings and bad ones. In the previous version, everything was glossed over with a ‚euphonic‘ wand and everything sounded good. Now I pick again those details that let me decide if the recording is good or bad. For me, a good development.

I agree re bad recordings. However if the only way I can access the music (70/80s rock?) is poor recordings, then I would still like to enjoy. Sometimes poorer fidelity wins. In my teenage years with a Rotel amp, small Wharfdales and a mediocre record deck even Rainbow sounded good. Starstruck was virtually unlistenable last night

24 minutes ago, maxst67 said:

At this point, if the Euphony developers listened to us, it would be nice if everyone could choose their favorite version .... Maybe I'm asking too much☺️

Ha, ha, good idea! Poor Euphony people, coming to think of it.

In essence, it’s simple. A player should faithfully reproduce what‘s there, adding nothing, removing nothing!

Alas, if it were this simple. Here comes the listener‘s personal preference into the play, just as we see all the diverging opinions whenever there’s an update.

So maybe your suggestion is perfect, we‘ll live with

,The truthful‘ Stylus

,The euphonic Stylus‘

,The fatigue-less Stylus‘ etc

😀

9 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Ha, ha, good idea! Poor Euphony people, coming to think of it.

In essence, it’s simple. A player should faithfully reproduce what‘s there, adding nothing, removing nothing!

Alas, if it were this simple. Here comes the listener‘s personal preference into the play, just as we see all the diverging opinions whenever there’s an update.

So maybe your suggestion is perfect, we‘ll live with

,The truthful‘ Stylus

,The euphonic Stylus‘

,The fatigue-less Stylus‘ etc

😀

I think you are right😜 😄.... Although from the comments I read about the latest update I do not know how many would have purchased the license if the trial version had been this ... I probably don't😃

It is the same story with my DAC, a PSaudio Directstream. It is very well supported by the developer and factory and free firmware appears every few months. It is generally an improvement, but there are usually dissenters who prefer earlier releases. Or those who reconfigure their system to play to the new strengths of the DAC. The developer is an engineer who is seeking ways of streamlining the processes or optimising the functionality. The change in sound is not necessarily desired, expected or understood, but it's there every time. 

I don't feel this change however is one I wish to pander to and I don't feel I can reconfigure my system to work with it. Unless I start to play with dsp, like my phono stage does. 

1 hour ago, Speedy381 said:

It is the same story with my DAC, a PSaudio Directstream. It is very well supported by the developer and factory and free firmware appears every few months. It is generally an improvement, but there are usually dissenters who prefer earlier releases. Or those who reconfigure their system to play to the new strengths of the DAC. The developer is an engineer who is seeking ways of streamlining the processes or optimising the functionality. The change in sound is not necessarily desired, expected or understood, but it's there every time. 

I don't feel this change however is one I wish to pander to and I don't feel I can reconfigure my system to work with it. Unless I start to play with dsp, like my phono stage does. 

True, very true! Interesting that software changes unintentionally alter the sound. There's still some 'mystery' behind digital audio.

The same discussion is going on over at the Roon user forum whether there's a sound quality change with the Roon 1.8 update.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-8-sound-quality-change/141309

After updating to the latest 2020.02.17, managed to return to an earlier version 2020.11.02 and it’s back to beautiful organic sound again. For sure it’s not as focused, details not a clear, bass not as tight as 2020.02.16 or 17 but more enveloping sound and far better vocals. I’m back in the room engaged with the music rather than just listening to the music.

It’s like comparing the old Panasonic plasma TVs with it’s beautiful colours and lower contrast to Samsung’s early OLED attempts with far higher contrast screens. Yes Samsung has richer colors but it can be a touch glaring and tiring after a while. 

Can we have best of both worlds?

4 hours ago, Anwar said:

This is interesting and worth going forwards to the last update to try it ...