IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

This is a basic question that probably is answered in this 75 page thread, but I was confused by something that I perceived to be a conflict between the Euphony website and the user grid.  If I were to try Euphony, it would be installed on a NUC and used to stream from a NAS to Sonore rendus over ethernet rather than over the NUC's USB bus to a connected DAC.  The Euphony site says it requires a DAC connected by USB but the user guide tosses off a reference to enabling upnp without really articulating the use case.  So, can Euphony be used to stream to a upnp device or must it be connected to the DAC by USB cable?

I don’t know about the Sonore rendus, but Euphony Stylus streams perfectly well to a Raspi 4B running RopieeeXL. Just activate detect UPnP devices in one of the menus. I needed to install the latest RopieeeXL update to make it work seamlessly.

28 minutes ago, biosailor said:

I don’t know about the Sonore rendus, but Euphony Stylus streams perfectly well to a Raspi 4B running RopieeeXL. Just activate detect UPnP devices in one of the menus. I needed to install the latest RopieeeXL update to make it work seamlessly.

So RopieeeXL works even if rpi4 is connected via i2s to the dac?

1 hour ago, maxst67 said:

Tried Euphony and RoPieeexl with Rpi4 with i2s output: It works ..... thanks Euphony I didn't have time to figure out which of the two configurations is better ..... but the important thing is that it works 😍

Super! I don’t know what the two configs are, but good to know I2S works!

8 hours ago, edwardsean said:

- tags that are not directly indexed by music DB are accumulated in "otherfields" tag - which is now used in search and in filters
- add menu items for switching to another Euphony and shutting down both machines only if other machine responds to network query 
- added more checks to registration dialog (to make clear when people confuse voucher code with registration code)
- clarified some messaging in Complete Installation dialog
- Roon core updated to 1.8
- improved internal/external drive mounting and detection
- reconnecting network interface after Play and disconnect now possible even for WiFi interface
- added IRQ handling in Expert Settings CPU isolation
- fixed UPnP for some UPnP endpoints (RoPieee and SOtM confirmed)
- added UPnP conversion option: bit-depth 
- fixed supported rates detection
- fixed "Song is not accessible on path.. " error 
- fixed Qobuz playlist content limit of 50 items
- fixed problems that appear when you fill the RAM with buffered songs from Queue

Plus, they un-hid AirPlay in the Summus interface! It's once more an option for Summus users. 

9 hours ago, edwardsean said:

- tags that are not directly indexed by music DB are accumulated in "otherfields" tag - which is now used in search and in filters
- add menu items for switching to another Euphony and shutting down both machines only if other machine responds to network query 
- added more checks to registration dialog (to make clear when people confuse voucher code with registration code)
- clarified some messaging in Complete Installation dialog
- Roon core updated to 1.8
- improved internal/external drive mounting and detection
- reconnecting network interface after Play and disconnect now possible even for WiFi interface
- fixed UPnP for some UPnP endpoints (RoPieee and SOtM confirmed)
- added UPnP conversion option: bit-depth 
- fixed supported rates detection
- fixed "Song is not accessible on path.. " error 
- fixed Qobuz playlist content limit of 50 items
- fixed problems that appear when you fill the RAM with buffered songs from Queue

Excellent. This is a big update.

Yeah, good ears. I think the sound is slightly thinner myself. Whenever these updates occur on any platform, there is seldom any mention of changes to performance. However, I tend to notice subtle changes whether they were intended or not. I listen carefully because in this case I know I could also be imagining things. It's good to have some corroboration. 

The drift I've been noticing with Euphony updates has been away from fulness and toward clarity. I'm not sure I like the trade, but it's best to give it a week for your mind to adjust.  The great thing with Euphony, is that it's always easy to go back to your previous version if you go to "System" > "System Info" > "Revert to this release."

Also, if anyone else noticed there was a minor issue and so they already released another update today. 

I don't think sound quality can be judged for a least 24 hours.  Often these upgrades require a reboot which in itself can cause a change in sound quality until things reset to their prior state.

I also noticed this upgrade required me to re-enable RAMROOT.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Anyone knows how this works?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

22 minutes ago, dminches said:

I don't think sound quality can be judged for a least 24 hours.  Often these upgrades require a reboot which in itself can cause a change in sound quality until things reset to their prior state.

I also noticed this upgrade required me to re-enable RAMROOT.

That's really helpful to keep in mind. It's a bit of a balancing act then, as my memory of the previous build version will grow less reliable by the day. Still, we are talking about subtle shifts, if at all. 

Also, just to underscore the point: Ramroot gets disabled after every update. You have to reenable it and reboot. 

For me, both Feb updates sound more digital. More details, tighter and a touch more dynamic but for sure less comfortable sounding. Treble harder and that for me is a sure no. 

A step backwards but unfortunately since I updated to the second Feb update, I am unable to return to the fantastic Jan version.

I'll give it a few more days and if it's still the same, I will make a request to return to the Jan version.

9 hours ago, Joerg D said:

There is a new Update today.

My Update was from yesterday, has someone the Update from today ?

Jörg

Yes, i had some serious Problems with the first Update, it crashed my image. The ultrafast Support made a new Image very fast. In some cases the first  Update did not work.

In my setup i prefer the actual Version. Its more realistic with a more detailed sound. Precise Bass. Maybe it depends on the setup.

Don't forget to make a backup image before you start the update. That is something that has nothing to do with Euphony.

I've given some time now for my system to settle down after the reboot. It sounds the same as when I first updated to the new version. 

For me this new update 20210217 (20210216) definitely sounds different as we have been describing. There is more clarity and detail at the expense of some fullness and suppleness. Overall, I consider it a net gain in performance. 

I'm adjusting HQP to compensate.