Jump to content
IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread


Recommended Posts

Is it possible to register your HQ Player license for Euphony if you have an existing license?  I have a license for 4.x.  The Euphony process seems to imply that you are getting a license to use in Euphony.  Maybe I need to get an embedded license.

 

 

 

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dminches said:

Is it possible to register your HQ Player license for Euphony if you have an existing license?  I have a license for 4.x.  The Euphony process seems to imply that you are getting a license to use in Euphony.  Maybe I need to get an embedded license.

 

 

 

It better ask Jussu ([email protected]), anyway You should send to HQPlayesr support Euphony’s fingerprint for HQP (You can see it at settings), they will send You a reg code that You put in Euphony HQP registration field.

All this should work .

but I think You will not possible to use whole HQP strength (no filters I thing and other tweets is possible under Euphony because it embedded only).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Questions for the folks using Roon with Euphony.

 

I have a licence for Euphony and I'm really happy with the sound however, the library management is very basic. Therefore, I have started to test Roon using the 14 days trial.

 

I started by selecting "Roon core" only in Euphony. Roon library management is very impressive!!! I understand that with "Roon core" selected in Euphony, the audio system management is done by Roon and stylus is not involved. The main benefit vs a Roon only machine is the Euphony OS which is optimized for audio. Is it correct?

 

As I'd like to use Stylus to manage my DAC, I tried Roon core + Stylus EP. It didn't work at first and I found out that HQ Player must be enabled in Euphony with this config! Went back to Stylus mode, enabled HQ Player, back to "Roon core + Stylus EP" and it now works. However, I don't have an HQ Player licence. Is it an issue since I don't oversample, I only checked the HQ Player tick box?

 

So what do you guys recommend, "Roon core" only or "Roon core + Stylus EP" (without HQ Player licence)?

 

Any other tips will be appreciated.

 

My system is NUC7i5 - 8GB RAM - SSD 120GB - Akasa Fanless with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, still fighting numerous problems with Euphony's library. For example, Allen Toussaint's album American Tunes is imported only from track two on. I deleted the file in the music folder, updated the library, but it is still there on Euphony's web app! I re-copied the same album containing all tracks and I still see only tracks 2-12, track 1 is missing. How come that Euphony's web app doesn't refresh? Library management in Euphony is a real mess!

 

 

Euphony_AT.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, biosailor said:

Unfortunately, still fighting numerous problems with Euphony's library. For example, Allen Toussaint's album American Tunes is imported only from track two on. I deleted the file in the music folder, updated the library, but it is still there on Euphony's web app! I re-copied the same album containing all tracks and I still see only tracks 2-12, track 1 is missing. How come that Euphony's web app doesn't refresh? Library management in Euphony is a real mess!

 

 

Euphony_AT.png


Use the i button to check the meta data of the tracks. Mismatching is usually due to slightly different meta data especially the top few fields. 

Sometimes a ‘restart app’ or a reboot refreshes the fields also. On occasion I’ve had to unplug the streamer, wait a few seconds then replug the power cable again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, walloon said:

As I'd like to use Stylus to manage my DAC, I tried Roon core + Stylus EP. It didn't work at first and I found out that HQ Player must be enabled in Euphony with this config! Went back to Stylus mode, enabled HQ Player, back to "Roon core + Stylus EP" and it now works. However, I don't have an HQ Player licence. Is it an issue since I don't oversample, I only checked the HQ Player tick box?

 

So what do you guys recommend, "Roon core" only or "Roon core + Stylus EP" (without HQ Player licence)?

 

You don't need a HQPlayer embedded licence in this case. Stylus EP means that you use Roon and Euphony's Stylus player. To realize this the Euphony team is using the HQPlayer protocol. I am pretty happy with this solution and use it for a couple of months though I have a HQPe licence, too.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, walloon said:

Questions for the folks using Roon with Euphony.

 

I have a licence for Euphony and I'm really happy with the sound however, the library management is very basic. Therefore, I have started to test Roon using the 14 days trial.

 

I started by selecting "Roon core" only in Euphony. Roon library management is very impressive!!! I understand that with "Roon core" selected in Euphony, the audio system management is done by Roon and stylus is not involved. The main benefit vs a Roon only machine is the Euphony OS which is optimized for audio. Is it correct?

 

As I'd like to use Stylus to manage my DAC, I tried Roon core + Stylus EP. It didn't work at first and I found out that HQ Player must be enabled in Euphony with this config! Went back to Stylus mode, enabled HQ Player, back to "Roon core + Stylus EP" and it now works. However, I don't have an HQ Player licence. Is it an issue since I don't oversample, I only checked the HQ Player tick box?

 

So what do you guys recommend, "Roon core" only or "Roon core + Stylus EP" (without HQ Player licence)?

 

Any other tips will be appreciated.

 

My system is NUC7i5 - 8GB RAM - SSD 120GB - Akasa Fanless with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

 

Thanks

In Roon setup enable squeezebox support. You don't need HQ player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, biosailor said:

Unfortunately, still fighting numerous problems with Euphony's library. For example, Allen Toussaint's album American Tunes is imported only from track two on. I deleted the file in the music folder, updated the library, but it is still there on Euphony's web app! I re-copied the same album containing all tracks and I still see only tracks 2-12, track 1 is missing. How come that Euphony's web app doesn't refresh? Library management in Euphony is a real mess!

 

 

Euphony_AT.png

 

I have the same issue. The Euphony library is a complete mess with multiple items not working well.  Roon obviously it's the other way around - the library as well as GUI is their main strength. However, right now Euophony Stylus player sounds much better to my taste in my system so am using it now as default. I could not believe something will take me off Roon but it is happening. As much as the Roon layout is incredible, sound is still my top priority. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

 

You don't need a HQPlayer embedded licence in this case. Stylus EP means that you use Roon and Euphony's Stylus player. To realize this the Euphony team is using the HQPlayer protocol. I am pretty happy with this solution and use it for a couple of months though I have a HQPe licence, too.

 

 

Did you compare Stylus player vs. this setup? Does this allow you to have the Roon interface with the Stylus player sound quality? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, al2813 said:

 

I have the same issue. The Euphony library is a complete mess with multiple items not working well.  Roon obviously it's the other way around - the library as well as GUI is their main strength. However, right now Euophony Stylus player sounds much better to my taste in my system so am using it now as default. I could not believe something will take me off Roon but it is happening. As much as the Roon layout is incredible, sound is still my top priority. 

 

Euphony's library management is a disgrace!

 

I basically have to jump from album to album and correct each one for proper tagging. In such a way, it works, but it is tedious, to say the least!

 

Yesterday, even worse, Roon's library got completely mixed up: clicking one album reviewed a completely different album underneath.

 

Euphony should definitely do something about it. For a software costing this much, I expect at least sound library management!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dminches said:

Is it possible to register your HQ Player license for Euphony if you have an existing license?  I have a license for 4.x.  The Euphony process seems to imply that you are getting a license to use in Euphony.  Maybe I need to get an embedded license.

 

 

 

Yup. The stand alone license is different. You could contact them first to see if your license could be converted, as I recall the price was the same.

Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, biosailor said:

 

Euphony's library management is a disgrace!

 

I basically have to jump from album to album and correct each one for proper tagging. In such a way, it works, but it is tedious, to say the least!

 

Yesterday, even worse, Roon's library got completely mixed up: clicking one album reviewed a completely different album underneath.

 

Euphony should definitely do something about it. For a software costing this much, I expect at least sound library management!

 

Why is Euphony at fault if the tags are wrong?  Every software program manages tags differently and has its own convention.  I have had issues with Roon at times as well.  

 

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dminches said:

 

Why is Euphony at fault if the tags are wrong?  Every software program manages tags differently and has its own convention.  I have had issues with Roon at times as well.  

 

 

I might have been a bit harsh, I apologise!

 

I never had those troubles with Audirvana and Roon. Never mind, since I like Euphony's sound so much, I'll take the trouble and correct many of this mis-imported files.

 

And, of course, I'll upgrade to a permanent license.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, al2813 said:

 

 

Did you compare Stylus player vs. this setup? Does this allow you to have the Roon interface with the Stylus player sound quality? 

 

 

I guess I wrote something wrong. You don't use the Stylus player when activating 'Roon core + Stylus EP'. Stylus EP understands different audio protocols. For using the Stylus player you must activate 'Stylus' then there is the Stylus protocol in use (in this case you need a second Euphony system where you start 'Stylus EP'. You can use Stylus EP also with Squeezelite 'slimproto' protocol and/or HQPlayer protocol. I prefer the HQP protocol and therefore I use 'Roon core + Stylus EP' most of the time.
 

Sometimes I switch to 'Stylus' (I have a second Euphony-NUC running as Stylus EP) to get benefit from playing from RAM and then I can use the Stylus + Stylus EP thing. Well, Roon gives me more fun and I can live with the sound quality of 'Roon core + Stylus EP' very well. 

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, walloon said:

Questions for the folks using Roon with Euphony.

 

I have a licence for Euphony and I'm really happy with the sound however, the library management is very basic. Therefore, I have started to test Roon using the 14 days trial.

 

I started by selecting "Roon core" only in Euphony. Roon library management is very impressive!!! I understand that with "Roon core" selected in Euphony, the audio system management is done by Roon and stylus is not involved. The main benefit vs a Roon only machine is the Euphony OS which is optimized for audio. Is it correct?

 

As I'd like to use Stylus to manage my DAC, I tried Roon core + Stylus EP. It didn't work at first and I found out that HQ Player must be enabled in Euphony with this config! Went back to Stylus mode, enabled HQ Player, back to "Roon core + Stylus EP" and it now works. However, I don't have an HQ Player licence. Is it an issue since I don't oversample, I only checked the HQ Player tick box?

 

So what do you guys recommend, "Roon core" only or "Roon core + Stylus EP" (without HQ Player licence)?

 

Any other tips will be appreciated.

 

My system is NUC7i5 - 8GB RAM - SSD 120GB - Akasa Fanless with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

 

Thanks

There can be device contention issues if you run Rooncore + Stylus EP on same box... both want to "own" an attached USB DAC device . I've had to completely

reboot when changing from Rooncore to Rooncore +Stylus EP. HQPlayer attaches by a different solution.

 

My best sound with  Euphony+ Roon core was using HQPlayer endpoint with HQPlayer doing DSD128 upsampling. But you will need a license else

HQPlayer trial times out after 30 minutes and you will have to periodically restart Euphony application to re-enable.

 

Running Rooncore + Stylus EP on same Euphony installation created more problems than it solved for me vs just Roon core.

 

Highly recommend that you try using a NAS vs the local SSD for media storage... internal/external attached drives inject irritants into playback,

buffering doesn't make that go away.

Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Euphony's library management is a disgrace!

 

I basically have to jump from album to album and correct each one for proper tagging. In such a way, it works, but it is tedious, to say the least!

Further to @dminches reply, whenever I've had such tagging issues where, say, one of the tracks appears elsewhere under a different artist or different album, I've always found this to be due to incorrect tags in the first place.

 

Basically, Euphony Stylus unconditionally believes what you give it and arranges the library to match. You don't see this in Roon because Roon assumes it knows better that you for any given album and recreates the library from its own online database, which works well most of the time, but isn't perfect either. E.g. for Classical albums, Roon often imposes the wrong cover art and I have to manually choose the original version.

 

Stylus' library management isn't it's strong point, that's undeniable. And it may well have some bugs outstanding, but most other apps have their own foibles. I love Roon's UI, but I struggled for ages to try to understand its library management system, much of which is deliberately hidden from users, for good and for bad.

 

I get around all of the above by having a master filestore for music files that's managed by JRiver (the first app I happened to buy years ago). JRiver's library and file management far exceeds Roon's, particularly with it's batch commands which are very powerful (if rather unintuative). Then import to Roon or Stylus or any other app. Which means I retain full control of my music files, which means it's easier to change to different music players whenever I want to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, biosailor said:

 

Euphony's library management is a disgrace!

 

I basically have to jump from album to album and correct each one for proper tagging. In such a way, it works, but it is tedious, to say the least!

 

Yesterday, even worse, Roon's library got completely mixed up: clicking one album reviewed a completely different album underneath.

 

Euphony should definitely do something about it. For a software costing this much, I expect at least sound library management!

Just a thought? Are you using Ramroot? If so untick copy app, something like that. If you read website it explains it causes issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, after spending almost the entire day mending my music library, things are good again. Following problems occurred: split albums (one album contains only one track, the other the rest), empty folders, and, curiously, a number of albums starting at track 4!

 

I painstakingly fixed things by re-annotating the broken files in MusicBrainz and re-loaded them onto my MacBook Air.

 

Yesterday, I uploaded all albums in one go, it took about four hours to complete. My guess is that maybe interruptions in the net occurred that led to either split or empty files. I had this problem when I had an Aurender years ago. Uploading all files in one go never worked.

 

Whatever the reason was, It's fixed now and back to listening to music! It teaches me to be careful with the library!

 

Thanks for the good suggestions!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Further to @dminches reply, whenever I've had such tagging issues where, say, one of the tracks appears elsewhere under a different artist or different album, I've always found this to be due to incorrect tags in the first place.

 

Basically, Euphony Stylus unconditionally believes what you give it and arranges the library to match. You don't see this in Roon because Roon assumes it knows better that you for any given album and recreates the library from its own online database, which works well most of the time, but isn't perfect either. E.g. for Classical albums, Roon often imposes the wrong cover art and I have to manually choose the original version.

 

Stylus' library management isn't it's strong point, that's undeniable. And it may well have some bugs outstanding, but most other apps have their own foibles. I love Roon's UI, but I struggled for ages to try to understand its library management system, much of which is deliberately hidden from users, for good and for bad.

 

I get around all of the above by having a master filestore for music files that's managed by JRiver (the first app I happened to buy years ago). JRiver's library and file management far exceeds Roon's, particularly with it's batch commands which are very powerful (if rather unintuative). Then import to Roon or Stylus or any other app. Which means I retain full control of my music files, which means it's easier to change to different music players whenever I want to.

Ok, so you do the metadata handling in JRiver, if I understand you correctly? I need to look into this as I happen to have a JRiver license.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, al2813 said:

Tried the core + stylus ep this evening and indeed this is a nice combo. I will do more testing this weekend but this looks so far the winning formula. 

How does this combo work? It uses Roon core, but what does the stylus ep do? 
 

Sorry for the dumb question, but I‘m a bit confused with all the options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies re. Roon + StylusEP.

 

I am currently testing the following:

 

Euphony: Roon + StylusEP

Roon: HQPlayer enabled 

 

By looking at "Audio Output" in Euphony, I can confirm that Stylus is managing my DAC (selecting the i icon shows my DAC parameters).

 

@davide256 my music is stored on a Synology NAS.

 

I'll let you know how it goes...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, biosailor said:

Ok, so you do the metadata handling in JRiver, if I understand you correctly? I need to look into this as I happen to have a JRiver license.

Yes that's correct.

Having a "master" music filestore  is in some ways more effort because you have to go back to the master to make any corrections, and then copy any changes back to your music app.

 

But it starts making sense if you have more than one music app (say, Roon, Stylus and HQP) on different systems, each with their own way of library management. And even more sense when you change apps with the knowledge that you have full control of the original folders and files - as opposed to the previous app's unique interpretation of your files. Some people like to have full control of their folders/files and others are happy to let the music app sort it for them. I differentiate "files and folders", which contain the actual music, from "library" which is unique and internal to each music app and is out of my control.

 

A further benefit is that my master system also has a CD drive, so using JR's ripping function on a master filestore is the most reliable way to keep all my other music systems in sync.

 

The main issue with JRiver's library/tag/file management is that it is so powerful there are usually several ways of making any correction, and it's not obvious which is the best way - Google is your friend here.

 

For example, say you have a number of albums where the artist is spelt McVoy, and 1 album where it's spelt MacVoy. You can correct this directly in the UI Album view, or the Artist view. Maybe one row at a time, or maybe highlighting a number of rows. Or you can create a batch command to do it in batch mode. Or you can go to the actual folder and manually change the file or folder name and get JR to update it's internal library from the filename. Definitely a learning curve required to get the best out of it, but Google helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I’m trying to decide which option is the best way to configure my euphony software....Can anyone confirm or deny whether if either computer (when system is set in “bridge mode”) can be assigned to front-end/backend duties?  IOW, for example can I use computer “A” to run Stylus ep for a while and then switch to computer “B” to run ep!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...