Jump to content
bobfa

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

II don't remember that the current track is now always in display, as like you I can have > 50 tracks on queue. I. just deleted the entire queue and now run only single album as I am testing the buffer queue mode. I am not sure if there is much sonic difference. I can only buffer limited tracks as I play DSD a lot and each album is like 9-11 GB!  Also realize I cannot click to a different track while in Buffer queue, like it would play but no sound is coming out. I then restart app and of course the queue is unbuffered.  Not sure if it is worth the fuss. 

 

When in queue buffer mode, I have no issues with clicking on a different track - it plays immediately. But I do have the much smaller redbook FLAC files.

 

I also don't hear much sonic advantages in queue buffering vs single track buffering. For those that do hear a difference, please elaborate what that is and does it only apply to the first few seconds of each track?

 

There appears to have been an improvement to the single track buffering as well:

Previously, the next track only loaded at the point I skipped to it, and very occasionally I would not hear the first split-second of that track.

Now it looks as if the next rack is always pre-loaded and it's the track-after-next that is buffered when the next track starts. So it's always one step ahead and that seems to work well - so far I've never missed the first split-second of the next track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

 

When in queue buffer mode, I have no issues with clicking on a different track - it plays immediately. But I do have the much smaller redbook FLAC files.

 

I also don't hear much sonic advantages in queue buffering vs single track buffering. For those that do hear a difference, please elaborate what that is and does it only apply to the first few seconds of each track?

 

There appears to have been an improvement to the single track buffering as well:

Previously, the next track only loaded at the point I skipped to it, and very occasionally I would not hear the first split-second of that track.

Now it looks as if the next rack is always pre-loaded and it's the track-after-next that is buffered when the next track starts. So it's always one step ahead and that seems to work well - so far I've never missed the first split-second of the next track.

I am still unable to smoothly skip to a different track and sometimes it works but other times not. There would just be silence. The sonic difference is there. It seems there maybe be some improvements in entire track after comparing different albums. It brings the sound stage slightly forward, more focus and the distortion or fuzziness is less, a bit smoother. I think it is subtle and maybe only obvious with poorer recordings. I am not sure why it would improve despite using more RAM and also it should only affect the beginning or end of track but the sonic change appears to be constant. Does buffer queue make the system more stable? Less activity from stylus? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone tried using the new StylusEP as a HQplayer "endpoint" for Roon Core yet? Again, no HQPlayer really involved, just a way to preserve Roon's library management and UI while getting the sonic advantage of Stylus.

 

I basically cannot give up Roon's UI mostly so that the wife can stick with what she's used to, but would love to get some of Euphony's sonic advantages. I'm running Audiolinux now and would pay for a license if this StylusEP/HQplayer endpoint feature works (again without HQPlayer, just with Roon). I have a lot of DSD128 and DSD256 albums that I listen to a lot - the StylusEP with Squeezebox emulation doesn't work for me as that's only limited to DSD64.

 

Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok the sonic benefit of buffer queue seems to matter more when there is some more poorer quality source, e.g. when the AC mains is noisier. At least it seems so as now with a quieter evening the benefit with Buffer queue is not so clear. Maybe during the day  with the noise from PC server is more beneficial with Buffer queue. Now without buffer queue, it still sounds fine and may have a more naturalistic sound stage. I am confused now...! 

Do people use Buffer queue here ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seatrope said:

Has anyone tried using the new StylusEP as a HQplayer "endpoint" for Roon Core yet? Again, no HQPlayer really involved, just a way to preserve Roon's library management and UI while getting the sonic advantage of Stylus.

 

I basically cannot give up Roon's UI mostly so that the wife can stick with what she's used to, but would love to get some of Euphony's sonic advantages. I'm running Audiolinux now and would pay for a license if this StylusEP/HQplayer endpoint feature works (again without HQPlayer, just with Roon). I have a lot of DSD128 and DSD256 albums that I listen to a lot - the StylusEP with Squeezebox emulation doesn't work for me as that's only limited to DSD64.

 

Thanks all!

I could be wrong but given the larger files of DSD128, & 256, I think it is best to use Stylus player itself without Roon or any other SW involved. The timing and large memory of the files that need to be processed  means that staying in a local single box in single SW may work best but I have no experience other than using Stylus player itself. I have files as large as 2GB, so I doubt it can be moved around and travel via ethernet etc...... fast enough without loss of information or timing issue. But perhaps others have tired.

Another thing, is it possible for you to load the file to Ecache directly from Roon? I am not sure if ECache works with Roon  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, seatrope said:

Has anyone tried using the new StylusEP as a HQplayer "endpoint" for Roon Core yet? Again, no HQPlayer really involved, just a way to preserve Roon's library management and UI while getting the sonic advantage of Stylus.

 

I basically cannot give up Roon's UI mostly so that the wife can stick with what she's used to, but would love to get some of Euphony's sonic advantages. I'm running Audiolinux now and would pay for a license if this StylusEP/HQplayer endpoint feature works (again without HQPlayer, just with Roon). I have a lot of DSD128 and DSD256 albums that I listen to a lot - the StylusEP with Squeezebox emulation doesn't work for me as that's only limited to DSD64.

 

Yes, I am using it for about two weeks now. I have three DSD256 albums and some more in DSD128. I have the feeling there is a 'uptick' in sq compared to Roon Bridge but I only use a cheapo NUC7CJYH with original ps as endpoint. The plan is to replace it by a NUC7I7DNKE and to buy a better ps.

 

Using StylusEP as "HQPlayer" is imho definitely worth a try. 

 

 

StylusEP.jpg


Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 4:20 AM, TheAttorney said:

 

When in queue buffer mode, I have no issues with clicking on a different track - it plays immediately. But I do have the much smaller redbook FLAC files.

 

I also don't hear much sonic advantages in queue buffering vs single track buffering. For those that do hear a difference, please elaborate what that is and does it only apply to the first few seconds of each track?

 

There appears to have been an improvement to the single track buffering as well:

Previously, the next track only loaded at the point I skipped to it, and very occasionally I would not hear the first split-second of that track.

Now it looks as if the next rack is always pre-loaded and it's the track-after-next that is buffered when the next track starts. So it's always one step ahead and that seems to work well - so far I've never missed the first split-second of the next track.

If I just load and buffer single track in the queue there is no difference between this and 100% of a single track when there is only 1 track in the queue. perhaps only load 1 track to the queue at a time a and use 100% buffer then? But this won't be practical especially if you have a very short track so you need to load every few min. 

 

Also loading a number of huge tracks into buffer queue has caused my euphony to shut down, it gets stuck into perpetual high RAM use. This is probably because I was trying to load to buffer and play a large track at the same time. I still cannot switch track properly with Buffer Queue. I would have to let each track play in order, like listening to vinyl, is that normal ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I nuts or hallucinating but it appears that buffer queue effects are minimal if not many tracks are in the queue, which makes sense. However, I also tested that smaller number of tracks loaded in the queue (without buffer queue) sound better than if entire album is loaded. (mind you I am testing using huge files DSD256 so an album is like 8-10GB).  A single track only on the queue seems to be best. Now effect is subtle so it may not be reproducible. So maybe keeping the queue as short as possible will help. I have not compared between a buffer queue of a long list of files vs short list yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 12:06 PM, TheAttorney said:

 

     Экран «В настоящее время исполняется» не появляется, когда я нажимаю на значок левого нижнего альбома - отображается только фон. Это в браузерах Edge и Firefox.

Hey. Yesterday a new version 27 was released. Fixed the error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally I have placed my NUC7I7DNKE (booting from Optane stick) board into an Akasa Plato X7D. Using it as endpoint now I indeed note a improvement in sq compared to my NUC7CJYH (booting from USB stick). 

 

I have running the StylusEP "as HQPlayer" for Roon (Roon server is running on my Windows machine) and have added "0-1 gstp 2-3" for the CPU isolation. Hopefully, tomorrow will arrive an ISO Regen.


Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did everyone stop at the NUC? I use HP 400 G3 processor i3-7100T with SSD NVMe, well established. Now installed it in the housing Akasa Euler S. The temperature drop is 8-9 degrees and is approximately 42 degrees in Euphony operation. If you want to lower the temperature it is worth playing with min/max CPU freq. I bet 3.4 - 42 degrees, I bet 2.4 - 36 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, YuriyT said:

Why did everyone stop at the NUC? I use HP 400 G3 processor i3-7100T with SSD NVMe, well established. Now installed it in the housing Akasa Euler S. The temperature drop is 8-9 degrees and is approximately 42 degrees in Euphony operation. If you want to lower the temperature it is worth playing with min/max CPU freq. I bet 3.4 - 42 degrees, I bet 2.4 - 36 degrees.

Lots of reasons... you probably should browse the marathon thread that spawned this thread. NUC system integration work is a known good, you

need some PC hardware design knowledge if you want to break out on your own; the thread below may help.

 

 


Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have installed Euphony on a pen, and use to boot it in a macbook pro. Suddenly Euphony stop working, when I try to boot it, Euphony doesn't boot properly and the message in the attached image appears.

I already try to format the USB pen drive in many ways, both in Mac and Windows, but no luck(see attached images).

Can someone help me?

image0.jpeg

usb.png

error_message.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says your device is Write protected. That means it cannot write, erase, or in any way change the pen drive. There is some sort of mechanism that switches write protection on and off, find it and change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @aangen for the reply, but my pen doesn't have a physical switch mechanism. I will try to format it on a Linux system and see if that resolves my issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

Thank you @aangen for the reply, but my pen doesn't have a physical switch mechanism. I will try to format it on a Linux system and see if that resolves my issue.

 

I'd strongly suggest you move on to a new/different USB stick. I found these things to be remarkably unreliable, and so it's always good to have a few spares. Another idea is to scan for bad sectors before burning - look for the flags in whatever tool you use. I used to use Rufus when I was futzing with USB sticks.

 

I do recall running into a situation like yours where the disk gets write-protected. I don't think I ever really got to the bottom of why it happened. Just switch to a fresh stick and move on. Life's too short...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have compared Ephony with Volumio on the same HW and I like sound from Volumio more...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mentt said:

I have compared Ephony with Volumio on the same HW and I like sound from Volumio more...

Interesting. Is volumio including it's own OS or u need a separate OS to run on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Interesting. Is volumio including it's own OS or u need a separate OS to run on.

You don’t need separate OS. You can even run Volumio from USB stick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting.  I have used Volumio on small board computers like the PI I have never tried it on X86.  In my testing on the Allo USBridge Signature I found that Moode and Gentoplayer sounded a lot better.  The UI on Volumio is decent, but on the PI and other SBC devices it seemed hampered by speed.  The Volumio Primo is a neat little streamer!

 

The MyVoumio subscription service is both interesting and bothersome; but, they have to get paid for their work.

 

Reading the short notes on the last couple of releases is interesting:

 

 

2.699 20-01-2020)
FIXES
Fix crash on start due to MPD reconfiguration
Removed GA and FB tracking

2.698 17-01-2020)
FIXES
Fix disappearing of Hardware Mixer Option
Fix MPD configuration inconsistencies under some circumstances
Fix previous and next when playing webradio

NEW ADDITIONS

Vietnamese translation
Improved french and italian translations
Improved and more informative MyVolumio signup flow

 

 

The X86 version is on my future check-it-out list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also used Volumio on Pi and allo usb bridge and never had any issues. I think only recently they introduced PC version.

 

 I have never tried Gento player so it will be my next one to test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried Gentooplayer on the same NUC hardware I use for Euphony. Music on NAS. Only difference is Gentooplayer is booted from USB while Euphony is booted from Optane. I find that Gentooplayer is more transparent,and have more PRAT. I like the non-RT version for it's musicality. I tried these 3 different setups, in order of preference:

1. MPD

2. UPNP/MPD (Minimserver running on NAS)

3. LMS/Squeezelite

 

Any of these config does not exhibit the bass bloat I hear with Euphony. Gentooplayer with RT kernel sounded very unmusical and digital and is worse than Euphony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 11:34 PM, Lukasluis said:

I tried Gentooplayer on the same NUC hardware I use for Euphony. Music on NAS. Only difference is Gentooplayer is booted from USB while Euphony is booted from Optane. I find that Gentooplayer is more transparent,and have more PRAT. I like the non-RT version for it's musicality. I tried these 3 different setups, in order of preference:

1. MPD

2. UPNP/MPD (Minimserver running on NAS)

3. LMS/Squeezelite

 

Any of these config does not exhibit the bass bloat I hear with Euphony. Gentooplayer with RT kernel sounded very unmusical and digital and is worse than Euphony. 

Curious. What pieces are you playing when you hear bass bloat? 

 


Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 10:34 PM, Lukasluis said:

I tried Gentooplayer on the same NUC hardware I use for Euphony. Music on NAS. Only difference is Gentooplayer is booted from USB while Euphony is booted from Optane. I find that Gentooplayer is more transparent,and have more PRAT. I like the non-RT version for it's musicality. I tried these 3 different setups, in order of preference:

1. MPD

2. UPNP/MPD (Minimserver running on NAS)

3. LMS/Squeezelite

 

Any of these config does not exhibit the bass bloat I hear with Euphony. Gentooplayer with RT kernel sounded very unmusical and digital and is worse than Euphony. 

 

57 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Curious. What pieces are you playing when you hear bass bloat? 

 

We ought to make a separate thread on a shootout .  This thread is about Euphony setup and issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...