IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

On 12/16/2019 at 8:57 PM, mikicasellas said:

Has anyone has an issue with Euphony lately.... ?

Mine stopped playing while playing via Roon (StylusEp), i rebooted and found that is asking for "Euphony Login" & "Password" but i have neither, it was automatically every time

IMG-4451.thumb.jpg.cf17ca431595f49c7760d4cdc15db121.jpg

That’s the boot screen... you should be using a web browser to connect to “Euphony”. If that’s not working install “Advanced IP Scanner” and scan your network for the Euphony servers IP Address, use that instead in your browser address bar. Also reseat your USB cable, you won’t see Stylus EP in Roon if it doesn’t have a working connected audio device

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Poldi said:

I am using Euphony on a NUC7i7DNHE as a single box setup. However I am having problems when using a Cisco 2960c switch between the router and the NUC. All of them connected via ethernet cables and with fixed IP address.

Euphony is really laggy and all kinds of warnings show up (especially when using Qobuz) and sometimes playback from Qobuz is not possible at all. The guys at Euphony told me that all these warnings and errors are related to the internet connection being too slow. So then I tried without the Cisco switch and now everything works.

But as the switch is bringing some sonic improvements I would like to continue using it. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Happy new year!

Poldi

Is it possible that your switch is second hand and was not reset to factory defaults by the seller?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

18 hours ago, Blake said:

Question:

My system is as follows:

MacBook Pro > wireless > Apple Airport > ethernet cable > EtherRegen > ethernet cable > Sonore UltraRendu > DAC.

I only stream via Tidal (I don't play any locally stored content). 

If I install Euphony (beta version with UPNP support) on the MacBook Pro:

1. When streaming Tidal, will I be getting  the full sound quality benefit of the both the Euphony OS and Stylus Player, or would I need to run a one-box solution in place of the MacBook Pro + UltraRendu, such as a NUC to get the Euphony OS and Stylus Player sound quality improvements?

I would suggest doing an A/B comparison of the Mac as Stylus server connected to the DAC vs current setup. If I had to assign numbers, I'd say 80% of my improvement

comes from using Stylus as endpoint DAC connection and the other 20% from when I use Stylus as a 1 box solution.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

No, the SoTM is the only one that I have.

I tried with a really old HP PC and although the performance is not as good as my mac, It is better than streaming Tidal from Lumin app using OpenHome "Room" to SoTM 200.

I will do more tests but probably I will buy a NUC and run it directly to the Dac. For now it was to be an entry level one.

Will an entry level i3 NUC work well with Euphony? Do you have any recommendations on a NUC + SSD + RAM configuration(max 500€) that will run Euphony well?

Can I use Euphony license in multiple machines? I don't pretend to use at same time, but if in the future I upgrade my machine I will be able to use the same license?

Euphony is machine specific license, if you upgrade machines you contact them with the new hardware key generated and they will transfer the license. You can use

any NUC hardware from Pentium to i7 with Euphony, assuming good power supply the faster processor will win out for SQ. Agree on the server UI for Euphony Stylus,

running Roonserver under Euphony is the better GUI. But you should compare Euphony as endpoint vs the SoTM SMS200, I started with SMS200, went to microRendu then to Euphony NUC as I improved my endpoint SQ.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

58 minutes ago, YuriyT said:

Why did everyone stop at the NUC? I use HP 400 G3 processor i3-7100T with SSD NVMe, well established. Now installed it in the housing Akasa Euler S. The temperature drop is 8-9 degrees and is approximately 42 degrees in Euphony operation. If you want to lower the temperature it is worth playing with min/max CPU freq. I bet 3.4 - 42 degrees, I bet 2.4 - 36 degrees.

Lots of reasons... you probably should browse the marathon thread that spawned this thread. NUC system integration work is a known good, you

need some PC hardware design knowledge if you want to break out on your own; the thread below may help.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 2/1/2020 at 11:34 PM, Lukasluis said:

I tried Gentooplayer on the same NUC hardware I use for Euphony. Music on NAS. Only difference is Gentooplayer is booted from USB while Euphony is booted from Optane. I find that Gentooplayer is more transparent,and have more PRAT. I like the non-RT version for it's musicality. I tried these 3 different setups, in order of preference:

1. MPD

2. UPNP/MPD (Minimserver running on NAS)

3. LMS/Squeezelite

Any of these config does not exhibit the bass bloat I hear with Euphony. Gentooplayer with RT kernel sounded very unmusical and digital and is worse than Euphony. 

Curious. What pieces are you playing when you hear bass bloat? 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

Hi, I am interested in trying Euphony/stylus. 

I am currently running AL with HQplayer embedded.  I have Roon on my NAS. I do not have any hard drive/Optane my server/endpoint one box system.

It used to be that Euphony required a hard drive/storage, but I understand now it can be loaded from a thumb drive into RAM. is this correct?

Although, the trial has to be run off a thumb drive. It cannot be loaded into the computer?

I have a Holo Spring DAC, it sounds best in NOS mode. 

Has anyone here been running a system like mine where they were using HQplayer to upsample to a Holo Spring DAC and they find Euphony with Stylus to sound better. With no oversampling?  No HQPe. 

Can I use Euphony with HQPlayer embedded to upsample to Stylus player ?

Have I read that some are using HPQe with no upsampling? 

Thank you 

Will

You need to do the 30 day trial registration in order to run server apps and install to a HD. I have not found running in RAM improves Euphony but a 32gb  Optane HD

is so much quicker to boot than a USB stick, without the sound nasties of an SSD.  Don't use HQPlayer, someone else will need to chime in on those questions. I have read

that you can use Euphony Stylus in Roon as an HQPlayer endpoint to get around the limitations of Squeezelite not supporting native DSD

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 2/20/2020 at 2:31 PM, mnuno10 said:

Hi,

I will make a fanless NUS to run Euphony Stylus with Tidal. I'm thinking of buy:

- NUC: NUC8i3BEH or NUC8i5BEH

- Disk: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

- Case: Akasa Turing

This seems good? Or do you have any other recommendation? What RAM(amount and model) do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

1) use an optane disk for your OS boot drive, they boot fast, no nasties in audio signature during playback, 32gb is inexpensive

2) no local attached HD ,SSD, use a NAS. Better sound and no nasties

3) buy a good DC power supply, you don’t need 19V, 12v does fine. HDPLEX 200W is a good starting choice.

4) no recommendations on RAM other than use at least 8 gb to insure adequate RAM cache for player applications

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

12 hours ago, fajita said:

Bob, you are very gracious, and I will accept any help I can get.  I will tell you that I have both someone from Roon willing to run diagnostics on the machine and Željko from Euphony offering to remote in and have a look at some point.

To update you nonethless, I have been at this for around 3 months.  The network has been reset several times, switches replaced, and ethernet cable from main switch to the Euphony machine running Roon Server replaced.  Fresh install with a fresh download of Euphony OS 2 weeks ago, still with occasional hangs.  Has been running Stylus with Roon Server off for 4 days without a hiccup, which is far more than when running Roon Server.

The Roon demo account is an interesting idea that I have not tried yet.  I will try to do this next.

I discovered an item in my BIOS that was on which, in Windows anyway, installs an Asus update service that is annoying.  I doubt this would have been the culprit, but I have turned that off and am now running Euphony directly off of the USB stick with Roon Server enabled just to see.

The hang is mostly likely a network caused phenomena. If you are using the mac as server it really should be a wired connection.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, mnuno10 said:

Hi,

I purchase a NUC8i5BEH, 1x16GB DDR4 2400mhz memory and and Optane 16GB. The goal is to use Euphony Player to stream Tidal to my Roksan K3 Dac.

Right now I'm on Euphony Trial and I have some doubts:

- I can't install Euphony in my Optane stick, is this because I'm on Euphony Trial? I have to purchase full version to install it in Optane? Or the problem is another? Note that on BIOS update isn't recognize as a Bootable drive, I don't know if it is normal, because it's the first time that I'm using an Optane stick.

- Euphony only recognizes 8GB of memory, but when I go to BIOS it says 16GB. I only have 1 stick of 16GB, it is some kind of bug in Euphony? Somebody with the same problem?

- I'm using my Mac to access Euphony through Chrome browser and "Euphony web app" is draining my battery like crazy. With a tab with "Euphony web app" open the "Activity Monitor" show Google Chrome process consuming lots of CPU as you can see in the attached picture. Somebody with the same problem?

I'm in the last build of Euphony with every update applied.

Thank you in advance.

1) Euphony image is 8 gb.. you would need to take additional steps within Euphony to expand the music partition to include any extra unused available partition space on a USB drive 2) you have to enable the optane memory in NUC bios as SSD in the SATA controller screen 3) once you have the M.2 drive visible in BIOS you can use the Euphony system transfer option to copy to the Optane drive, it will use all available space when you do a system transfer

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, organics1 said:

Bought Euphony 9 days ago, and for a couple of days I was ALL GRINS. But, songs started skipping. It was even skipping from album-to-album. Tech support looked at the logs and couldn't determine much, saying only there appeared to be a few instances of the computer losing touch with the DAC. It was suggested I might have a problem with cables. I didn't find anything. I've run Daphile and Audiophile Linux through the same system for months and never had a similar problem. Back to using Daphile right now, and nary a whimper or hiccup.

Any thoughts?

Other than that issue I just want to say that this Euphony OS beats everything else I've used. It does everything better. I'd even go so far as calling the sound SUMPTUOUS.

Up until now Audiophile Linux was king of the hill for me. BUT, not being a LINUXphile I just got tired of chasing its gremlins day after day. By comparison, Daphile has been rock solid and relatively problem free.

As I stated in an earlier post, I use a Partaker fanless mini with a Celeron 3150: 1.6Ghz, 4-core. RAM is 4GB. Despite some claims to the contrary, could it be that this little thing just is not up to the task of doing justice to Euphony? It's what I've been thinking, and I'm eyeing another fanless box utilizing the i7-8550U, which is 4-core, 1.8Ghz. It'll take up to 32GB of RAM. How important is base frequency? (BTW, not interested in buying a NUC.)

Using only 4gb might be your cause. Definitely don't cache to RAM without more RAM

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, organics1 said:

I'm booting from the main internal SSD, a 500GB Samsung 850EVO. Didn't think to check for overloading but will get on it. Will also try buffering. Thanks.

As I said in earlier reply to Davide256, I did send logs to support and they seemed a bit baffled.

Before I buy more computer resources it dawned on me that perhaps I should install Euphony to another drive and give it a go in my main desktop, which is i7-4790S with 32GB RAM.This way I get to see what effect significantly more resources will bring to the table.

I've experienced that it  scales in resolution as you improve processor from i3 to i7, never got it running on Pentium NUC because it wanted UEFI vs legacy boot.

Running on a standard PC with ATX power supply  while it works, wasn't much musical joy there, my assumption being electrical noise interference for USB out.

Never run it on less than 8gb RAM and when I check my idle (RAM loaded) installation its consuming 5.7GB of memory even before any music caching. I do use Roon

so there is likely some Roon database storage in that figure

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, are you using Ramroot? I had this when I was using Roon. Each time Euphony was rebooted had to restore Roon’s backup file.

I cancelled my Roon due to SQ, I’ve been using Euphony media player for 3 months now, I’m very happy with that. 

@adamaley I see the same thing trying to run Roon in RAM, not an issue in normal mode. But Euphony Stylus server resolves better so I only use Roon now

when I want to experiment or am curious about album/composer information. If your machine supports an Optane drive, thats a better route than running in RAM

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

11 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Does anyone notice that if you disconnect the ethernet cable form the server/PC where the euphony is, the sound is improved? I am using single box so the entire Euphony/music files are all in the single box and ethernet is only used to control the Euphony remotely.  

Would wireless control be better or worse ? 

I found that having local music storage degraded the midrange compared to sourcing files from NAS. And that WiFi was of lesser sound quality than wired Ethernet.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 hours ago, mt-hifidelity said:

Unfortunately that didn't work either.  The install itself doesn't complete -- I never see the big 'Euphony' in ASCII letters, it gets stuck on the shell screen. :(

best to verify if its even on the network.  If you have a windows PC you can use a shareware program called "Advanced IP Scanner"  to find the machines on your network..

if you see one called Euphony, thats the IP address you want to use in your browser. Be very sure you aren't shooting yourself in the foot by having the PC and Euphony on

different LAN segments

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

13 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

I have trottled my Nuc8i7 to 800 MHz and disabled Hyperthreading. I dialed the CPU frequency so that my Digital setup sounds nearly as good as my Analog setup. YMMV

This is power supply dependent. Ever since I acquired a JS-2 I've been able to run full speed with an 8i7BNH, throttling sounds harsher.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, abdodson said:

I very skeptically made the switch from running a dual system Roon setup over ethernet to a single system Euphony setup with simple USB out to the DAC. The jump in sound quality was actually stunning. Can't go back.

But like many of you I am missing the Roon interface. I am wanting to play around with integrating the two and am unclear on the setup. From what I can discern, Roon Core is preloaded in Euphony? Does this mean I can just point the Roon client to the Euphony server? How do I set this up?

To use Roon interface, Roon server has to be running either on a separate machine or on the Euphony server. Like you I find Roons interface better... but

it doesn't sound as good as Stylus server, lacks that midrange rightness and correct transient decay over time

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 3:54 AM, jacky5555 said:

Hi,

I've been trying Euphony OS + stylus for few days and extremely impressed with the SQ.

I use a single box (a mac mini) to play stylus and send music to my USB DAC which can decodes MQA.

My questions are:

- My music is stored in a NAS, but in Stylus I found no way to import music from NAS. When clicking "Network Drives" I could not find any shared folder from NAS.

- For MQA: Stylus do not support to unfold MQA but passthough it instead. However, when I played 24/96 MQA files from Tidal, my dac showned input signal as 24/48, why not 24/96? The dac also did not show "MQA" signal, which I believed the input signal was PCM, instead of MQA passthough. So did I miss anything in Setting?

any advice is highly appreciated

Jacky

Assuming you have media server enabled at the NAS, you should be able to enter the nas IP address\”music share name” to attach with “guest” as login ID, no password needed. There’s a media server protocol that defaults to 2.0 with Synology, I had to change it to also support 1.0 to successfully attach my NAS music directory. Will look up the name when I get home.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

32 minutes ago, jacky5555 said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice. I followed your guide but could not success.

Stylus shown “mount errror” as attached screenshot.

Euphony apparently defaults to SMB1, I had to enable that for it to find my Synology NAS shared music files.

If you navigate in Diskstation to File Services/   SMB/AFP/NFS   /Advanced Settings, you should see a Min and Max SMB option,

the Min should be changed to SMB1.

Also "Music" is normally the complete logical share name, try using that for path instead of "volume1/music"

I note that in Euphony you can also change the Samba Option from 1.0 to 2.1 and 3.0 when adding a network drive, don't know if that

corresponds to SMB version, hadn't noticed it until now. Maybe someone who understands Samba can chime in?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...