IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

28 minutes ago, adamaley said:

So, I've come to the end of my 30 day Euphony trial period, and I've just purchased a permanent licence. 

Since I'm now tethered to Euphony for good, I'd like help on the one thing that's been bothering me. Each time I bypass booting into the Euphony OS in order to perform some tasks in Windows, when I get back into Euphony and connect to Roon, all my settings are missing. I need to reconnect my NAS drive, and have Roon import all files. I also need to reconnect to Qobuz and Tidal. Having to do this everytime is tedious. 

I'm wondering if this is normal functioning of the OS, am I missing something, or is there a workaround?

Hi, are you using Ramroot? I had this when I was using Roon. Each time Euphony was rebooted had to restore Roon’s backup file.

I cancelled my Roon due to SQ, I’ve been using Euphony media player for 3 months now, I’m very happy with that. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Mann said:

I am new to online streaming and I have only been using Qobuz for about 8 months. Because I am not computer-savvy, I could not personally assemble a high-end computer system and I have been using a Euphony PTS unit as my music server.

My audio system is as follows -: Euphony PTS (powered with a Keces P3 LPS unit) => Wyred-4-Sound 2v2SE 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC (connected via either the USB port or via a Matrix X-SPDIF unit using the I2s connection) => Niimbus US4+ headphone amplifier => HiFiMan Susvara headphones.

What I have discovered is that the sound quality of my headphone-based system using the Euphony PTS as the music source is not as good as when I use a CD-transport (PS Audio PWT or Jays Audio CD2Mk2) ) as my music source, and I only use the Euphony PTS unit to explore new recordings on Qobuz, and I never use it for serious music listening pleasure because I much prefer the sound quality when I use my CD-transport as the music source. I have often wondered why I cannot obtain a satisfactory sound quality using my Euphony PTS unit, and I have presumed that the cause was due to the fact that I didn't have a high-end computer (as described by many forum members) in this thread, but I now have a new theory to explain why I cannot get a satisfactory sound quality from my Euphony PTS unit.

Here is my theory. I noted that Rajiv Arora (AustinPop) did a review of the UpTone Audio EtherREG unit and he discovered that it significantly improved the sound quality of his audio system by a clearly discernible amount - even though he obviously already had assembled a maxed-out computer system. Let's presume that the sound quality of his optimized computer system using the Euphony software is "X". That means that the sound quality using the UpTone Audio EtherREG in his system must be X + Y where "Y" is the amount of easily discernible sound quality improvement that he obtained from the UpTone Audio EtherREGEN unit. He then obtained even better sound quality when adding a LPS unit to power his UpTone Audio EtherREGEN unit and when he also used a Mutec Ref-10- reference clock. Let's presume that the two additional factors improved the sound quality by a factor of "Z" so that the sound quality was then equal to X + Y + Z. That's not the end of the story because he could obtain even better sound quality by using two ethernet switches in series, and we can infer that it improved his audio system's sound quality by a clearly discernible amount of "W" so that his final best sound quality was X + Y + Z + W. Although I cannot personally quantify the finite value of the combination of "Y + Z + W", it seems to be a significant amount. That unknown amount of "Y + Z + W" indicates to me that simply using a music server to access Qobuz via the internet using a modem => Euphony PTS music server is significantly deficient and that could explain why I cannot get a satisfactory  sound quality (especially in terms of many aspects of soundstaging quality - especially soundstaging depth, image focus, image tonal density/saturation and "air" between instruments) compared to my CD-transport, which presumably is not handicapped by phase-noise and many other potential problems related to internet streaming.

What do you think of my theory?

Jeff.

Jeff from my experience. I moved away from records over a year ago. I bought a high end DAC, I thought that’s all I needed (i was wrong). I quickly realised ever part in the digital chain matters. Especially the server.

I’m at the end of my journey now. Have a look at my system. It took a lot of time, afford & money but worth it in the end.

10 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

That is exactly what I’m doing, putting all my hard earned cash in one place.😅

I was also trying to figure out how to use Roon without the sound penalty.

I guess one variable here is that my Roon server would be xenon caps pipeline, with a good PSU. Who knows if it’ll make a difference? If the theory is that the other computer should be faster and a better quality system then it might help?.

I really value your judgment, thank you.

so you don’t use Roon?

Yes on & off but much prefer sq from Euphony. 

Good point, I’ve had similar thoughts, however, think about how much you could spend on 2 boxes?. Could the same amount of money be better spent on a single box!!! 

Will it ever end?!  “Nenon’s quote”’

Me personally It needs to stop sometime, so what’s next? Awaiting Nenon’s new Xeon build+JCAT new ethernet card with OXCO clock! Hopefully I’m done! 

• 2 weeks later...

I love Euphony don’t get me wrong, but I have mentioned this before. Very frustrating each time you set your album cover view the setting is lost when opening closing either browser or app. 

I’m sure this must be a easy fix/update. Please when considering new feature you don’t forget about making exciting features more intuitive. 

As I say Euphony is fantastic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, VladST said:

Hi guys,

I have some troubles while installing Euphony from USB pen drive for the first time. Previously I had Euphony installed on my PC Win 10 a couple times, but now it have some problems with Kernel Modules (see picture attached). I’ve been reinstalled Euphony downloader on a different USB sticks, but I think problem was arose from BIOS update on my PC. 
As I’ve found some solution to solve such problem on Ubuntu - they’re I insists that it could be file’s read/wright option closed as well. So, it should be canceled wright protection. That’s good manual for Ubuntu, but can somebody to advice me how can I do it on Win 10?

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2326216

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2318779&p=13466943#post13466943

16C689C8-2A99-4D2A-BF16-A1E7ED56CC49.jpeg

If I recall this error has always came up on mine. I asked Euphony and they said it's normal. Do you actually have a problem after this screen? 

Hi guys, I posted this in the wrong thread by error. I think better posted here, anyway...

I would appreciate peoples thoughts on the two setup options?

Option 1 - Edge Router > Ethernet > Sonore OM > Fiber - EtheRegen > (NUC acting as NAS running Euphony Share, A-side of EtherRegen) > Ethernet > Server

Or

Option 2 - Edge Router > NUC acting as NAS running Euphony Share on router Eth port) > Ethernet > Sonore OM > Fiber > EtheRegen > Ethernet > Server

Note NUC & Server both powered by SJ LPS, Option 2 effectively isolating the NUC.

21 hours ago, VladST said:

Also, I’d better recommend you to solve money for the Tesla Home Battery for the end point/server and Etheregen as well in addition to good LPS - it’ll be more clear power supply. The key idea: to have much clear end point as it can be organized

Both are powered by Sean Jacobs DC3’s. I’ve got 11 rails in total. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, dminches said:

Thanks Bob.

I can live without the temperature readings since I know I am ok.  The album cover art issue is annoying and needs resolution.

Bob are you running in ramroot? Did you choose option to add app config to ramroot? If so that’s the problem. Euphony tell you this on their support page. 

Come out of ramroot, restart & select Ramroot. This time don’t select app config to ramroot. 

On 6/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, austinpop said:

Yup, I'm on 0430 too, and Željko confirmed it was the last released feature update.

I honestly can't think of much feature-wise that I'm missing in this version, so I'm happy to stay on it.

A feature so user can update to latest HQPlayer would be useful for HQP users. User can wait months! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 2:05 PM, dminches said:

For those of you who haven't read some of the comments in the "Shootout at the Linux Corral" thread, Rajiv dropped some helpful pointers about setting the BIOS to optimize the sound in Euphony.  While these are computer and power supply dependent, he is recommending that you try running the system with Turbo and Hyperthreading on and using Euphony to cap the maximum frequency if in fact you hear harshness with it wide open.

I tried this last night and it resulted in a more-than-subtle uptick in sound quality.  I have a Sean Jacobs DC4 which seems to have more than enough power for me to run my processor at 4.5 GHz instead of just 3.5.

I am wondering what others have done to tune their BIOS to achieve their best sound quality.  This topic isn't cover in the Euphony guide. 

I have always run my systems with Turbo turned off but this was in a Windows server environment and at the recommendation of Phil at highend-audiopc / Audiophile Optimizer.

I think you have the best LPS there is, set to full power. You should’ve have any harshness running turbo & HT with DC4. Benefits should be increased dynamics & detail. 

I’ve got SJ DC3 10a version. This allows me to run at 5.0ghz, running HQP.. It’s still breaking in, so need to wait till I find the optimum CPU settings. C&P states turned, HD Audio, Sata controller, USB’s, RGB’s, temp monitoring, all off. Sure they’re others which I can’t remember right now. I also set RAM voltage to required rather than leaving on auto. 

Enjoy! 

12 minutes ago, dminches said:

Mine is still breaking in as well.

Are C-states turned on or off?  I have the items you listed turned off; network controller as well since I am using a JCAT card.

I’m no expert but remember few years ago reading on forum to turn off P & C states. Article here, 

Not even sure if Euphony controls P states or not. C States are power saving processes, anything to do with saving energy/throttling CPU I turn off. 

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Processor_P-states_and_C-states

• 1 month later...

I concur, the new version has an uptick in sound quality. Well done Euphony. 

I thought I would go & test (again) running two box solution.

Euphony running on my NUC (OXCO clock+ Sean Jacobs LPS) 

sending music to..My server running Stylus EP. 

& vice versa. 

Results? One box server wins, without any doubt. But still not a fair test without having same kit on each box! 

• 1 month later...