IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

27 minutes ago, aangen said:

So now, just to make it interesting I have a new Tidal account.

Does Euphony OS have any MQA ability?

Euphony has pass through ability. In case you have a MQA-ready DAC give Tidal a try with the Stylus Player (or with Roon).

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Ah yes, Roon is really the answer with the DS DAC and its Bridge II. I had this PS Audio DAC and the Bridge II until summer of last year. Roon and MQA worked well via the Bridge II.

My new X-Sabre Pro (MQA) does accept MQA via USB only whereas the iFi Pro iDSD (it replaced the DS DAC) even accepts MQA through all inputs.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

7 minutes ago, FelipeRolim said:

In both cases, taking care to have the JCAT USB Card FEMTO as output.

I start to believe that Euphony is rather something for systems without such PCIe cards. The irqs of the mainboard USB ports get realtime priority by default (the same in Audiolinux). These PCIe cards (in my case a Matrix Element H) use a different irq without rt priority. The good thing is it's possible to adjust the rtirq.conf.

Btw, I had a Windows Server 2019 system in core mode before (on my former computer) and have changed to Euphony but I am curious if my Matrix Element H will bring more benefit in a Windows system. I will give it a try on weekend.

16 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Wow! What's the username and password for HQPe? That's new to me that's possible to access the web interface of HQPe on Euphony.

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

HQ Player user and password is Euphony & Euphony

Great! Thank you! That must be new. I was talking to Željko about access to the web interface of HQPe a couple of weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

Perhaps Euphony can be tweaked even more by configuring realtime priority to the PCIe card. Typically if you contact Euphony support with a request like that, Željko would remote to your box and apply the custom settings. 

Yes, you can adjust the rtirq.conf file even on Euphony without asking Željko. I have tried to describe it here 

20 minutes ago, Nenon said:

The real question is - did it make an audible difference in Euphony? 

Good question. I was not really sure about that with my iFi Pro iDSD. Now with my Matrix X-Sabre Pro my opinion is the changed rtirq.conf has a positive effect. The X-Sabre doesn't need the 5V for the handshake. Maybe that's a reason, too. I "only" have an iFi iPower 12V for the Element H at the moment. I plan to install Windows Server 2019 on this system on tuesday. Have a spare 32Gb Optane stick for this.

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, anyone here having issues with Ramroot & Roon?

I setup Roon using my backup, all up & running with Ramroot disabled. I enable Ramroot & tick box copy to.... reboot. Load Roon & all settings have gone. I need to restore from backup again. So effectively each time I come in/out of Ramroot, Roon requires setup again. 

???

Euphony support 'ramroot'

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 5:10 AM, austinpop said:

The other feature that looks promising is the ability to direct Stylus output to a UPnP renderer.

That's interesting! I am just playing with JPLAY Femto on my Windows machine. Stylus plus JPLAY Femto as renderer that could be a winning team.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2019 at 11:55 PM, Holzohr said:

That's interesting! I am just playing with JPLAY Femto on my Windows machine. Stylus plus JPLAY Femto as renderer that could be a winning team.

Quoting myself. I could test it and it works indeed but in my setup it doesn't make that much sense. I regret (in this case) a bit that I have sold my iFi Pro iDSD. 

Also, I like more the handling with Stylus on the Server NUC and StylusEP on the Endpoint NUC but always switched back to Roon (on the same Server NUC) for convenience (and for using Roon with JPLAY on my Windows machine).

Today I activated the StylusEP on the Endpoint NUC again and the first time that I took notice of this:

Finally StylusEP can present itself as HQPlayer endpoint to Roon. Add StylusEP hostname or IP address as the address of HQPlayer in Roon.
StylusEP will not upsample anything but it will play songs of any samplerate and even DSD formats thus avoiding limitations put on Squeezelite protocol in Roon.

Voilà! Now I have the StylusEP running in HQPlayer "dress". Even DSD256 playback is possible so indeed no more limitations à la SlimProto. I am still not sure if it brings any benefit soundwise compared to an activated Roon Bridge on the same Endpoint NUC or compared to StylusEP via SlimProto but I think it is a very nice way to use Roon with the Stylus player.

roon_stylusEP.jpg

My 7i7DNKE is still in the NUC case. I have activated low power and deactivated HT and Turbo Boost.

nuc7i7dnke.jpg

@austinpop Hi Rajiv, did you already test Roon and StylusEP via the HQPlayer way? Wondering what you think about the sq. One issue I have is the low volume of StylusEP after each boot (or when I switch from RoonBridge to StylusEP). A restart of StylusEP does fix it though.

Mario

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/35/?tab=comments#comment-1020227

1 hour ago, mnuno10 said:

It's possible to use Sotm 200 as renderer with Euphony? In my case the Euphony detects the Sotm 200 as upnp device but when I play a music appears multiple times  a message saying something like "Buffering...Waiting for music to be download" and music don't play.

Let me guess. That happens when you play music from Tidal (or Qobuz)? Between the songs? In this case the behaviour is "normal". I didn't like it either. I have tested the UPnP feature with JPLAY femto.

I fear without Roon or HQPlayer embedded you can use the SoTM 200 as UPnP-renderer only (not sure about this MPD-thing). With music from your hard disk/NAS the UPnP option makes more sense (imho). The Euphony app is pretty fast here. I have installed Euphony on a Optane stick.

I see. It wasn't that bad here. Do you have any other UPnP renderer?

I use the Stylus player now and then only. For the daily use I prefer Roon.

It seems the PTS server came with an Intel i3-6100U . Euphony's new SUMMUS is probably based on a NUC8I7BEH that comes with an Intel i7-8559U.

I plan to replace my endpoint NUC7CJYH by my current server device NUC7i7DNKE and to order a NUC8I7BEH as new Euphony server. I like to have low power devices on server and endpoint side. I also like my Windows PC but wouldn't want to let run it 24/7.

Btw, my new favorite way of playback: Roon -> StylusEP via adding its ip-address as "HQPlayer" also works when you run the Roon core somewhere else. In my case on the Windows machine. 

5 hours ago, seatrope said:

Has anyone tried using the new StylusEP as a HQplayer "endpoint" for Roon Core yet? Again, no HQPlayer really involved, just a way to preserve Roon's library management and UI while getting the sonic advantage of Stylus.

I basically cannot give up Roon's UI mostly so that the wife can stick with what she's used to, but would love to get some of Euphony's sonic advantages. I'm running Audiolinux now and would pay for a license if this StylusEP/HQplayer endpoint feature works (again without HQPlayer, just with Roon). I have a lot of DSD128 and DSD256 albums that I listen to a lot - the StylusEP with Squeezebox emulation doesn't work for me as that's only limited to DSD64.

Yes, I am using it for about two weeks now. I have three DSD256 albums and some more in DSD128. I have the feeling there is a 'uptick' in sq compared to Roon Bridge but I only use a cheapo NUC7CJYH with original ps as endpoint. The plan is to replace it by a NUC7I7DNKE and to buy a better ps.

Using StylusEP as "HQPlayer" is imho definitely worth a try. 

StylusEP.jpg

Finally I have placed my NUC7I7DNKE (booting from Optane stick) board into an Akasa Plato X7D. Using it as endpoint now I indeed note a improvement in sq compared to my NUC7CJYH (booting from USB stick). 

I have running the StylusEP "as HQPlayer" for Roon (Roon server is running on my Windows machine) and have added "0-1 gstp 2-3" for the CPU isolation. Hopefully, tomorrow will arrive an ISO Regen.

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, flkin said:

Whatever the case may be, with these settings, I further found that I could then run both Roon (from ST) and Stylus (from PF) side by side and play tracks from either, from the same database, without having to switch systems inside Euphony. Playing a track from Roon would stop Stylus playing and switch to Roon. And vice versa, with Stylus automatically stopping Roon's playback upon selecting a Stylus track.

It's very nice to be able to switch between the two instantly. Hope others will find this useful too! 

That's a really interesting discovery indeed! I run the Roon server on my Euphony system (NUC7i7DNKE) together with StylusEP via "HQPlayer" and switch to Stylus now and then. I also have a HQPe licence for the NUC but don't use it at the moment. 

Not at home untill tomorrow but will give it a try reactivating the Roon server on my Windows machine (it's a Roon bridge at the moment).

Thank you.

Mario

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, k27R said:

The Euphony website says that the trial version does not allow you to install the OS to an internal drive.

I have done this with help of an Ubuntu Live stick. Ouch, almost one year ago. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-941032

I think @Nenon has found another way of installation.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HeeBroG said:

Does Euphony do the unfolding of MQA Master Quality files automatically?

On my system it somehow only does 24/48.

Is there a setting I need to switch on?

Nope. You need Roon to do the first unfold.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, audiofool1982 said:

Because I liked it, I bought the license for Euphony OS and also the HQ Player. I updated the registration code and the key on the setttings menu. However in the bottom of the page, it still says trial and 29 days left. Why? Do I have the delete the trial version and reinstall everything again?

Also I am not able to boot from the RAM. I still have to have the USB plugged in. I have a ASUS motherboard. What bios settings should I use to make the server boot without the USB? Please help.

Did you make the installation on your hard disk/ssd at all? After updating the registration code Euphony does offer this install option. The hard disk/ssd must be blank. Did you remove the Audiolinux installation before?

https://euphony-audio.com/hesk/knowledgebase.php?article=2

@audiofool1982 Hmm.. maybe it is even possible with Audiolinux bootet in RAM. Maybe an Audiolinux user can give you support.

Or with help of a Linux Live USB drive. I use for such things Ubuntu. Then start the programm GParted and remove all the Audiolinux partitions so the Optane drive is blank. Just found there is a GParted Live for USB drives.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

• HQPlayer can not be used as a stand alone player within Euphony.

You can chose HQPlayer embedded under Audio systems. Is that not what you want?

I also have a HQPlayer 4 Desktop version for my Windows system and a HQPe licence I still have to transfer on my new Euphony NUC.