IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Hello everyone! i am planning to install an intel optane 32gb drive to install euphony operating system on it, but with such a small amount of space, my euphony drive will be very small and can't copy a lot of my favorite music to the drive this disc via the Copy to Euphony Drive function. So can you please tell me if I should choose a larger capacity nvme drive (1TB, 2TB) to install EUphony OS to get more space for Euphony Drive and copy my favorite albums. your favorite files (in the storage of 14TB music from the NAS) into it before doing Buffer To Ram and playing the music? Because I understand that the Copy to Euphony function was born to optimize the storage of the music you intend to play compared to playing them directly from far away places, more affected by transmission lines such as NAS, Internal HDD/ SSD,.... Best regards and thanks!

3 hours ago, KATARRAZZI said:

Hello everyone! i am planning to install an intel optane 32gb drive to install euphony operating system on it, but with such a small amount of space, my euphony drive will be very small and can't copy a lot of my favorite music to the drive this disc via the Copy to Euphony Drive function. So can you please tell me if I should choose a larger capacity nvme drive (1TB, 2TB) to install EUphony OS to get more space for Euphony Drive and copy my favorite albums. your favorite files (in the storage of 14TB music from the NAS) into it before doing Buffer To Ram and playing the music? Because I understand that the Copy to Euphony function was born to optimize the storage of the music you intend to play compared to playing them directly from far away places, more affected by transmission lines such as NAS, Internal HDD/ SSD,.... Best regards and thanks!

My personal experience.

I started with internal sdd + a good 2Tb Samsung Nvme where I installed Euphony and copied a lot of files. The result was not encouraging, metallic and very "light" sound. I then followed some advices from the forum guys and abandoned internal sdd and Samsung Nvme in favour of Intel Optane 32 Gb (Euphony only) and left the Nas (Synology) as storage for files.

Now I'm very happy. Strange? I can only say: true!

The rest of my hw setup is: a nuc7i7 in an Akase fanless case, Apacer industrial grade ram and a good lpsu.

I can echo this as well, I went from a Samsung SSD to an Optane SSD and now the Revelation Audio SSD, always running just the Euphony system software and I always have great results streaming FLAC and DSD files from my Synology NAS. If not streaming from my NAS then it’s from Qobuz and Tidal. My NAS, TCXO switch, 10i7NUC in a fanless case and the Revelation Audio SSD are all powered by 3 Keces LPS. This single box server solution ( as opposed to server and end point) has the best audio performance I’ve ever been able to get. Streaming files the way now sounds better than the physical CDs or SACDs on my Marantz SA KI Ruby DAC.

1 hour ago, KATARRAZZI said:

now i see intel selling optane drive with capacity 32gb + 1TB nand!  whether they meet both options is to just install euphony on the optane drive and save euphoy music on the 1TB nand drive

DCBAE4EE-3739-426E-8E0E-BB794790D254.jpeg

mehh... just an internal  buffer solution for a NAND SSD. Don't waste your money. If you want more space buy an M.2 2280  Intel 960/970  which uses QLC NAND. . Its not as good as the FEMTO SSD but its competitive with using Optane memory as SSD

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

In other words, the consensus seems to be that one will usually get better sound quality separating system OS and music files on different drives. In addition, storing your files on a NAS and streaming via LAN to your system creates less drive interference than files stored on a external drive drive connected via USB… that is why some would prefer to separate the core from the endpoint. Although I didn’t test this yet as I’m perfectly happy with my “single box” solution…

At the end of the day, there’s no right or wrong… we all find our ways to audio nirvana and enjoying our music… and discussing our individual ways and methods is the purpose of this forum… to give inspiration to other audio enthusiasts. There’s always going to be a new kind of technology or “tweak” to bring our listening experience to the next level… it’ll never stop for as long as there is music 😀

3 hours ago, Smaragdhk said:

n other words, the consensus seems to be that one will usually get better sound quality separating system OS and music files on different drives.

I can confirm that. Computers are based on reading and writing data. And that's probably one of the reasons. In a 2-PC system, one computer causes a lot of "noise" when searching for, reading out and writing back data, while the other only receives and renders the data.

2 hours ago, 87mpi said:

I suspect the lan network introduces more disturbances than benefits.

The transmission of data via Ethernet is indeed not trivial. Whoever browses here in the forum will find a lot how the SQ can be significantly improved via ethernet. For example with a Solarflare X2522 NIC with fiber optics and an OCXO clock in the switch.

7 hours ago, 87mpi said:

In the past I had espoused this theory of separating core from endpoint via lan, all powered in linear, including router, switch etc .. but recently comparing with a very powerful single pc solution (i9 9900k) with Hdplex dc atx 400w, jcat usb xe , the single pc sounds much better in my experience.  I suspect the lan network introduces more disturbances than benefits.

That sounds suspiciously like an HQPlayer based assessment given the hardware, were you using Euphony Stylus as the server solution? I keep trying to warm up to HQPlayer but always gravitate back to native Stylus as more correct for mid range and hall echo

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

21 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Tôi có thể xác nhận rằng. Máy tính dựa trên việc đọc và ghi dữ liệu. Và đó có lẽ là một trong những lý do. Trong hệ thống 2 PC, một máy tính gây ra nhiều tiếng ồn khi tìm kiếm, đọc ra và ghi lại dữ liệu, trong khi máy kia chỉ nhận và hiển thị dữ liệu.

Việc truyền tải dữ liệu qua Ethernet quả thực không hề tầm thường. Bất cứ ai duyệt qua đây trong diễn đàn sẽ tìm thấy rất nhiều cách SQ có thể được cải thiện đáng kể thông qua ethernet. Ví dụ với Solarflare X2522 NIC với sợi quang và đồng hồ OCXO trong công tắc.

May i ask what you mean in this content a little bit that the machine that searches, reads and writes data and the machine that receives and displays the data here is a nas/euphony stylus architecture or a euphony architecture  core/stylus endpoint.  I really don't understand this place very well, would be very grateful if you could tell me!  Thanks

3 hours ago, KATARRAZZI said:

May i ask what you mean in this content a little bit that the machine that searches, reads and writes data and the machine that receives and displays the data here is a nas/euphony stylus architecture or a euphony architecture  core/stylus endpoint.

This principle is independent of the operating system or the player. The point is that when reading and writing data, interrupts are generated in the CPU. And the electronic noise increases. If a music management system such as Roon is still working on the same computer, databases are constantly synchronized over the Internet. If all of this takes place in one PC, you are in chaos.

I have very good experiences with separate the music data and the Roon Core on the NAS. The endpoint ist installed on another Audio PC. The end point should ideally only render and forward the music for the DAC. My Audio PC is not connected to the internet. I also do upsampling with the HQPlayer. Some outsource this to further minimize electronic noise.

Additionally if Ethernet is galvanically isolated and reclocked, all digital artifacts disappear.

Here is my current ethernet topology:

42122461ja.png

I just happened to notice that my 24/88 file was being upsampled to 24/96 by Stylus.  I went into the settings and every sampling frequency was mapped to a higher frequency.  I certainly didn’t do that.  I changed all of them to map to the file frequency.

It would be nice if there were 2 settings to cover all this: 1 - no upsampling; 2 - max frequency supported by DAC.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Hi Guys,

Haven't seen an update to Euphony OS since 07/16/21 - does anyone know if there is still development going on?   Not that I have had any issues, Euphony is awesome-sauce.   Hopefully all is good with the developer - I am going to assume they are working on v4... but haven't read anything official...

Just checking.

Lou

On 11/15/2021 at 2:48 PM, louawalters said:

Hi Guys,

Haven't seen an update to Euphony OS since 07/16/21 - does anyone know if there is still development going on?   Not that I have had any issues, Euphony is awesome-sauce.   Hopefully all is good with the developer - I am going to assume they are working on v4... but haven't read anything official...

Just checking.

Lou

There is always development going on. Since there are no real issues at the moment yes they have been working on V4. Stay tuned...

Member of the Trade: Power Holdings Inc

Hi Guys,

I have just received an answer from the support that the current ver. 3 works stably and without problems,
so there is no need to roll out updates.

As ArthurPower mentioned, ver. 4 is being worked on hard!

If everything goes well, this should be ready at the beginning of next year.

I'm sure many are looking forward to it, because one or the other feature will be integrated.

With audiophile greetings

8 hours ago, fantasia said:

Hi Guys,

I have just received an answer from the support that the current ver. 3 works stably and without problems,
so there is no need to roll out updates.

As ArthurPower mentioned, ver. 4 is being worked on hard!

If everything goes well, this should be ready at the beginning of next year.

I'm sure many are looking forward to it, because one or the other feature will be integrated.

With audiophile greetings

Indeed - it does give us something to look forward to - especially here in Canada were it will be cold in Jan ;-)