IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

On 9/19/2021 at 12:49 AM, mrkoven said:

it doesnt work for me in euphony either, with holo may. it works outside of euphony. maybe euphony needs to update driver/kernal in future release to accomodate 

I wrote to Euphony support and found that the HQPlayer Embedded Web interface is accessible at http://euphony.local:8089 (IP:8089) or by clicking on HQPlayer icon in Euphony settings (only on desktop browser). 

Username and password are both "euphony". 

In this way I solve the problem of distorted sound with pcm >705/768 by setting the "Dac Bits" parameter to 16 in hqplayer embedded configuration! This allows it to work with pcm 1411/1536! 

This allows you to see and modify all the parameters of hqplayer embedded on euphony, set alsa or naa buffer, set the fixed volume for example to -6db and be able to select the new filters gauss, sync-mx etc that otherwise would not be selectable from the interface of euphony! 

Absolutely amazing! 

Doepke DFS2/ Gigawatt C16A + 044/ Lc-y Evo/ LC3-EVO /LC2-Evo/ LC-3 MK3/ Toroidy DC Blocker/ Hdplex H5 / Windows 10 Pro1903 AO3 + Fidelizer Pro 8.10/ JPLAY Femto/ Crosshair VIII Dark Hero/ Ryzen 9 5950X/ Optane P1600X/ Apacer 2x4GB DDR4 ECC 2666/ Jcat Usb XE/ Jcat Net XE /Audiowise Opto USB/ Sablon USB Evo/ 2x Paul Hynes SR4T for Jcat / 2x Baaske NET Isolator MI 1005/ Ethernet cable Viablue EP-7S/ Sablon Ethernet 2020 /Fidelizer StreamHub/ All Dc cables Neotech Occ JSSG360 /Hdplex 500W DC ATX/ Holo Spring 3 KTE/ Audio Research LS5 (4x E188CC Red Label/ 4x RCA 12BH7A Black Plates/ 2X Brimar 12BH7 Black Plates)/ Proceed HPA2 (Mark Levinson 432)/ Scansonic MB 3.5B + Iso Acoustics Gaia III / Townshend Isolda EDCT/ 2x Townshend DCT 300 XLR/ Synergistic Research Purple Fuses In Hdplex, 2x SR4T, Preamp, Dac/ 4X Townshend Seismic Pods

22 hours ago, flkin said:

I wonder when the next update of Euphony is coming? It’s been a while…

While waiting for an update, I wonder if it could be beneficial for you and your wonderful setup to try JPLAY femto /WIN10 and compare to Euphony OS? Anwar and lukasluis made convincing claims (starting September 20 in this thread) this will beat Euphony in sound quality. 

2 hours ago, di-fi said:

While waiting for an update, I wonder if it could be beneficial for you and your wonderful setup to try JPLAY femto /WIN10 and compare to Euphony OS? Anwar and lukasluis made convincing claims (starting September 20 in this thread) this will beat Euphony in sound quality. 

Hey Paul, yes Anwar reached out and said the same to me. It's on my todo list already but having just completed a major hardware switch, I'm trying to get in some listening time first to rediscover my music collection. 😄  It's a cliche but its so true that once you get a good step forward, old albums sound totally different, almost a new experience again.  

I'm also wondering how to try - I gather it's a more complicated setup having to install a specific version of Win10, adjust it manually (or load optimiser programs like Fidelizer or/and AO) and then install JPLAY. And whether it's best installed onto a separate drive from Euphony since the Euphony boot drive has a few partitions already?

If someone here has a simple step by step guide for the JPLAY installation that would be great as a reference.

7 hours ago, 87mpi said:

I wrote to Euphony support and found that the HQPlayer Embedded Web interface is accessible at http://euphony.local:8089 (IP:8089) or by clicking on HQPlayer icon in Euphony settings (only on desktop browser). 

In this way I solve the problem of distorted sound with pcm >705/768 by setting the "Dac Bits" parameter to 16 in hqplayer embedded configuration! This allows it to work with pcm 1411/1536! 

This allows you to see and modify all the parameters of hqplayer embedded on euphony, set alsa or naa buffer, set the fixed volume for example to -6db and be able to select the new filters gauss, sync-mx etc that otherwise would not be selectable from the interface of euphony! 

Absolutely amazing! 

I recently bought HQplayer to use convolution filters to go with my Raal headphones. The problem I had was that I couldn’t find the manual for HQplayer settings. The manual  suppose to under the “help” button in the top right corner of HQplayer user interface when you login but it doesn’t work. In the next euphony update that will be fixed. 
Z fixed it in my server.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

15 hours ago, 87mpi said:

Absolutely amazing! 

thanks for the tip, do you mean dac bits 20 and 1536 gives distorted sound, but 1536 works with 16 bits?

9 hours ago, flkin said:

Hey Paul, yes Anwar reached out and said the same to me. It's on my todo list already but having just completed a major hardware switch, I'm trying to get in some listening time first to rediscover my music collection. 😄  It's a cliche but its so true that once you get a good step forward, old albums sound totally different, almost a new experience again.  

I'm also wondering how to try - I gather it's a more complicated setup having to install a specific version of Win10, adjust it manually (or load optimiser programs like Fidelizer or/and AO) and then install JPLAY. And whether it's best installed onto a separate drive from Euphony since the Euphony boot drive has a few partitions already?

If someone here has a simple step by step guide for the JPLAY installation that would be great as a reference.

Been a while. When I used JPlay, it sounded best under windows server vs consumer windows OS. And it didn't support NAS which meant midrange was bleached. But it

did have great transient response, background imaging cues. So will be curious what you think about Jplay FEMTO server to Jplay endpoint  using NAS vs Stylus to Stylus using NAS.

Jplay install directions aren't that hard but using Windows Server has a learning curve. Would definitely run it on its own boot disk.

http://jplay.eu/manual/

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

9 minutes ago, 87mpi said:

Yes. Pcm 1411/1536 on HQPlayer works only with dac bits set to 16 due to Linux limitation. (also on Mac) 

Pcm 1411/1536 with dac bits > 16 works only on Jussi's HQPlayer OS or NAA images

Interesting. I've tried 1411/24 upsampling to Ares II using Stylus, got lots of static in playback. WIll try this and see if it changes anything with either HQP embedded or Stylus.

Not good though to lose that 5 additional usable bits of dynamic range for an R2R DAC.  1536/24  wouldn't work at all

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, 87mpi said:

Yes. Pcm 1411/1536 on HQPlayer works only with dac bits set to 16 due to Linux limitation. (also on Mac) 

Pcm 1411/1536 with dac bits > 16 works only on Jussi's HQPlayer OS or NAA images

that's great. im not home to test yet but are you finding 1536 with 16 bits sounds better than 768 with 20 bits?

1 hour ago, mrkoven said:

that's great. im not home to test yet but are you finding 1536 with 16 bits sounds better than 768 with 20 bits?

Actually I think it's a matter of preference.

I have a Spring 3 KTE.

For me PCM 1536/16 sounds very similar to the DSD256 7EC Sinc M. A more backward and relaxed sound with a blacker feel and a little more depth.

PCM 768/20 instead sounds more alive, richer harmonically even if more advanced and with less black.

In my opinion I prefer PCM 768/20 because it is more engaging.

I use LNS15 and Sinc M

Doepke DFS2/ Gigawatt C16A + 044/ Lc-y Evo/ LC3-EVO /LC2-Evo/ LC-3 MK3/ Toroidy DC Blocker/ Hdplex H5 / Windows 10 Pro1903 AO3 + Fidelizer Pro 8.10/ JPLAY Femto/ Crosshair VIII Dark Hero/ Ryzen 9 5950X/ Optane P1600X/ Apacer 2x4GB DDR4 ECC 2666/ Jcat Usb XE/ Jcat Net XE /Audiowise Opto USB/ Sablon USB Evo/ 2x Paul Hynes SR4T for Jcat / 2x Baaske NET Isolator MI 1005/ Ethernet cable Viablue EP-7S/ Sablon Ethernet 2020 /Fidelizer StreamHub/ All Dc cables Neotech Occ JSSG360 /Hdplex 500W DC ATX/ Holo Spring 3 KTE/ Audio Research LS5 (4x E188CC Red Label/ 4x RCA 12BH7A Black Plates/ 2X Brimar 12BH7 Black Plates)/ Proceed HPA2 (Mark Levinson 432)/ Scansonic MB 3.5B + Iso Acoustics Gaia III / Townshend Isolda EDCT/ 2x Townshend DCT 300 XLR/ Synergistic Research Purple Fuses In Hdplex, 2x SR4T, Preamp, Dac/ 4X Townshend Seismic Pods

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

Interesting. I've tried 1411/24 upsampling to Ares II using Stylus, got lots of static in playback. WIll try this and see if it changes anything with either HQP embedded or Stylus.

Not good though to lose that 5 additional usable bits of dynamic range for an R2R DAC.  1536/24  wouldn't work at all

If you use suitable noise-shaper, you don't lose any dynamic range, since it is limited by analog noise floor. Instead you may win on improved SINAD....

If you look at Ares II linearity sweep measurement results, it begins to go off around -100 dB. So 16-bit setting is pretty much optimal for it.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I am very close to giving up on Roon as I am more and more back to physical media. I still intend to keep digital as a source since will never get all the music I listen to in physical media. 

The Euphony stylus interface on my iPad is to my taste not user-friendly at all - maybe too used to Roon :-( 

So - for those who compared, what gives you the better quality - Euphony or Windows + add ons? And if then what is a recommended setup?  I need a relatively easy to maintain setup, and it needs to be headless. 

17 minutes ago, al2813 said:

So - for those who compared, what gives you the better quality - Euphony or Windows + add ons? And if then what is a recommended setup?  I need a relatively easy to maintain setup, and it needs to be headless. 

I’ve given up on Roon about 3 months ago… loved the user interface but I’ve found audio nirvana with a headless simple single unit (10i7NUC) running Euphony… agreed that Stylus Player on iOS isn’t as intuitive as Roon but I’ve grown used to it now, all in favour of superior tweak-able sound. Mostly in part of the Revelation Audio Femto SSD that runs the Euphony OS. See my previous posts above. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1162191

Sorry I have a bit of a dumb question but anyway. I stream via Qobuz studio Premier why is Euphony showing that only 16 bit, 192hz is coming in and not 24bit ?

1B32ECEA-9819-470F-B2EA-AF2E20619E69.thumb.jpeg.1a40773b00aa2529694caca4a10c47a8.jpeg

Hi-res but not 24 bit.

1F0D7B67-A420-4D14-9693-032608364ABA.thumb.jpeg.6626196c6aa08f11db5bf013b3b9babb.jpeg

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Thank you for the link. I meant to say the complete installation from a new PC including the correct version of Windows Server, especially the optimisation of the Win settings with say AO and/or Fidelizer. And suggestions on which disk or partition to do it in since most people here are using Euphony already and probably wouldn’t  want to wipe out their installation during comparison tests.

Currently Euphony installation is a simple process of insert a USB and boot.

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

Sorry I have a bit of a dumb question but anyway. I stream via Qobuz studio Premier why is Euphony showing that only 16 bit, 192hz is coming in and not 24bit ?

1B32ECEA-9819-470F-B2EA-AF2E20619E69.thumb.jpeg.1a40773b00aa2529694caca4a10c47a8.jpeg

Hi-res but not 24 bit.

1F0D7B67-A420-4D14-9693-032608364ABA.thumb.jpeg.6626196c6aa08f11db5bf013b3b9babb.jpeg

I use Qobuz Studio Premier too…

Check your settings in Stylus -> settings-> music service -> audio settings

looks like you’re upsampling … try switching upsampling off… check again that it shows PCM24/192 and then try switching upsampling up again…

I don’t use upsampling in Stylus as my Marantz SA KI Ruby upsamples everything to DSD256. 

FA1C9786-E356-4687-8BF2-769CB3D21205.png