IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

11 minutes ago, zeblo69 said:

Good day guys.

I have Euphony installed on a Nuc7i7dnhe (Akasa plato case). I'm not able to lower the cpu speed. My goal is to set it to 1.1 Mhz, but even if the max value results changed and saved in the expert settings I see no effect under cpu/temp (cpu speed is always stated at 1.9 Mhz). Any suggestion? I see no partular options in the bios...

Thanks in advance.

I think you meant GHz?

I’m in the same boat… but with a NUC10i7 … fixed at 1.10GHz… I can’t seem to find where in the bios I need to change this.

Most of the time you can enter any frequency with 100k increments but sometimes only several (3-4) discreet steps are available and if you don't guess them exactly nothing will happen.

You can find these steps in the documentation but I'm sure support can check this over remote control too.

3 hours ago, c-w said:

Most of the time you can enter any frequency with 100k increments but sometimes only several (3-4) discreet steps are available and if you don't guess them exactly nothing will happen.

You can find these steps in the documentation but I'm sure support can check this over remote control too.

Thanks everybody.

I think I'm going to open a new ticket also because it seems that cpu speed lowering is working somehow if I hardly stress the cpu with the apposite tool under expert settings. A little strange...

5 hours ago, zeblo69 said:

Good day guys.

I have Euphony installed on a Nuc7i7dnhe (Akasa plato case). I'm not able to lower the cpu speed. My goal is to set it to 1.1 Mhz, but even if the max value results changed and saved in the expert settings I see no effect under cpu/temp (cpu speed is always stated at 1.9 Mhz). Any suggestion? I see no partular options in the bios...

Thanks in advance.

My Nuc does that same. If desired frequency is 1.1. Try 0.8. Then lower again to 0.7 until you get closer to 1.1 in the menu. 

I'm trying out Euphony with HQPe and was surprised to find that it (perhaps technically more accurately, HQPe) results in short gaps while playing. The gaps are typical of what I've experienced when HQP Desktop is struggling because of CPU overload. When I've run HPQD under Win10 (no optimisations) on the same PC using the same settings (DSD256, ASM7EC, poly-sinc-short-mp) and same 44.1/16 flac files, I don't experience these gaps. I'm sending output to RopiEEE on a RPi4 and from there to my DAC.

Admittedly I haven't checked every single setting; I'm not familiar with HQPe and the settings layout is a little different from HQPD, but before I do further checking, I thought I'd check here on whether there are some obvious things I'm missing.

I'm not running Roon or anything else under Euphony, but it's the trial version running off a USB stick. Would this make a difference? I don't really want to wipe my current working SSD just to test with a "full" installation. I had thought that with whatever optimisations are done with Euphony, HQPe would run at least as well as HQPD.

Is there something else I should be doing? Does Euphony need some time to "settle down" after booting up (but note it's not the first boot)?

13 hours ago, lotusaurus said:

DSD256, ASM7EC,

The only thing that helps is contact with the support, which is really good. They set up the system in such a way that the computationally intensive HQPlayer EC modulators run smoothly.

14 hours ago, lotusaurus said:

I'm trying out Euphony with HQPe and was surprised to find that it (perhaps technically more accurately, HQPe) results in short gaps while playing. The gaps are typical of what I've experienced when HQP Desktop is struggling because of CPU overload. When I've run HPQD under Win10 (no optimisations) on the same PC using the same settings (DSD256, ASM7EC, poly-sinc-short-mp) and same 44.1/16 flac files, I don't experience these gaps. I'm sending output to RopiEEE on a RPi4 and from there to my DAC.

Admittedly I haven't checked every single setting; I'm not familiar with HQPe and the settings layout is a little different from HQPD, but before I do further checking, I thought I'd check here on whether there are some obvious things I'm missing.

I'm not running Roon or anything else under Euphony, but it's the trial version running off a USB stick. Would this make a difference? I don't really want to wipe my current working SSD just to test with a "full" installation. I had thought that with whatever optimisations are done with Euphony, HQPe would run at least as well as HQPD.

Is there something else I should be doing? Does Euphony need some time to "settle down" after booting up (but note it's not the first boot)?

The least amount of delay with HQPlayer is when using its interface to play music. Otherwise there is added delay using Stylus-HQP, Roon-HQP,

even with all upsampling disabled. I suspect that some kind of double buffering is going on, it looks very much like HQP buffers music

after conversion/before play since I always get a "buffering" messagefrom HQP when I change from Stylus output to HQP output,

even with music fully cached to disc by Stylus.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, mrkoven said:

im thinking about ditching roon for stylus. ive been testing both and stylus just sounds better, more grainless, open, dynamic. used hqpe on both

I've for a long time tried to ignore people claiming Roon sounding bad or this or that sounding better. Thinking that of course there can always be variations in software playback, but it "doesn't matter" or the difference can't be "that big".

A while ago I did some comparisons myself between Roon and Stylus and I've since then not been able to go back to Roon. I really like Roon, to me they've had a huge impact on the overall user experience when it comes to digital and streaming, but... Stylus simply sounds better to me and once you've heard it it's not easy to go back.

Stylus UI/UX is not on the same level as Roon and it takes a while getting used to, but while I'm still missing some things from Roon I've also started to appreciate some of Stylus simplicity. I'm still not sure if this switch is forever for me, but at least it is for now...

48 minutes ago, VoicesInMyHead said:

I've for a long time tried to ignore people claiming Roon sounding bad or this or that sounding better. Thinking that of course there can always be variations in software playback, but it "doesn't matter" or the difference can't be "that big".

A while ago I did some comparisons myself between Roon and Stylus and I've since then not been able to go back to Roon. I really like Roon, to me they've had a huge impact on the overall user experience when it comes to digital and streaming, but... Stylus simply sounds better to me and once you've heard it it's not easy to go back.

Stylus UI/UX is not on the same level as Roon and it takes a while getting used to, but while I'm still missing some things from Roon I've also started to appreciate some of Stylus simplicity. I'm still not sure if this switch is forever for me, but at least it is for now...

When you compare Roon vs Stylus, are you using the Roon server in Euphony (Roon Core + StylusEP) or Roon standalone?

1 hour ago, VoicesInMyHead said:

I used Roon + StylusEP at the time. My previous experience in using Roon vs Roon + StylusEP was that this difference was much smaller than moving from Roon + StylusEP to just Stylus.

Thanks. With my setup and my ears, Roon Core + StylusEP gives me the best of both worlds.

3 hours ago, flkin said:

My best of both worlds is to use both simultaneously :

- Stylus for playback

- Roon for music discovery and finding albums/tracks.

My set up in 2 PC:

1. Old AMD PC with ROCK (music store and CD rip)

2. Intel PC with STYLUS. Stylus See ROCK as a network storage.

Now I am happy with 2 kinds of playback:

1. ROCK (Network storage) - Stylus with Ramroot, rambuffer, internet disconnect  - DAC (refer for sq)

2. ROCK (Roon Core) - StylusEP - DAC (refer for music, album, artist,…infor discovery)

Easylly witching between 2 kind of playback :).

It's kind of related to how far your server is tweaked and the ability of the downstream DAC, the better both get, the larger the difference. I find 

that at low resolutions(192k or less) I prefer Stylus with HQP upsampling to 706/768. But if I have used PGGB conversion to 706/768

native Stylus sounds better, possibly because there is no up conversion CPU activity in my 1 PC player solution

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Basic Euphony questions.....

I'm busy building a PC for music. In the meantime I've got a basic AMD gaming PC with a JCAT USB card in it. I'd like to run Euphony from a USB stick just to try it, and eventually use it in the full dedicated music PC. Once the dedicated PC is built I won't need the other gaming PC for music. I will stream Tidal from it. 

1. Would I need 2 licenses for this?
  2. Does Euphony install on USB drives as an OS?

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, TimF said:

I'm busy building a PC for music. In the meantime I've got a basic AMD gaming PC with a JCAT USB card in it. I'd like to run Euphony from a USB stick just to try it, and eventually use it in the full dedicated music PC. Once the dedicated PC is built I won't need the other gaming PC for music. I will stream Tidal from it. 

Thanks! 

1. No, when you build new server install Euphony OS again from USB. Then email & ask for new license key.

2. Yes, download/ usb install took on Euphony website. 

2 hours ago, TimF said:

Thanks! 

More info here also. 

https://euphony-audio.com/hesk/

Hello Euphony Lovers :-)

i need your help because i dont know if Euphony is able to do what i want it to do :-)

My Euphony NUC is directly connected to my router and i want to use Euphony as my Roon Core and use my ifi Pro iDSD as a UPnP / Squeezelite device. So i can leave the Euphony NUC in the other room.

I tried to activate the Squeezebox feature in Roon and activate Roon Core + Squeezelite on my Euphony NUC but Roon couldnt find the iDSD Pro.

Is this possible at all? 

:D

Thank you very much

Best

Dominik