IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

Product brief for 7i7bnh says it has m. 2 slot  and is optane ready, yours should be similar 

Hi.

My. Nuc is 7i7dnh and seems to supports optane. The question is about M10 or H10? The pins form factor seems to be different...

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

Err, apologies… 8i7BEH supports m.2 but I see you have a 7i7. Let me check to see if you have M.2 optane support

Hi.

My Nuc is 7i7dnh and seems to supports optane. The question is about M10 or H10? The pins form factor seems to be different...

Thanks in advance

8 hours ago, beautiful music said:

I'm not sure if there is an alternative way to stream sound from Android Phones like AirPlay audio server for iOS.

This is off topic but mostly I use BubbleUpnp on my android devices stream to JplayFemto Renderer. Best combi I tried. 

4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

No. not now and probably not ever. There is work to get Linux running natively on the new M1 chip, but I would not expect that to be useful for many years.

Thanks for your help. So I'm still continue use Mac M1 with BigSur and HQPlayer. Can not try Euphony for now, just hope maybe in future.

49 minutes ago, anhton82 said:

Thanks for your help. So I'm still continue use Mac M1 with BigSur and HQPlayer. Can not try Euphony for now, just hope maybe in future.

BigSur and HQPlayer is best!   Especially that the M1 chip works well with the filters and upsampling algorithms. Plus library management is better with Hqp in my opinion. 

Hello Euphony Users,

I use Euphony for a few weeks now and yesterday i switched from Roon to Stylus Player. I love the sound :-)

But i want to further tweak my NUC.

So i disabled all unnecessary devices in BIOS and turned Hyperthreading and TurboBoost off. I further Set the Clockspeed to the fix baseline Clock of my i5 CPU (2.3GHz).

I also read that limitint the ethernet connection to 100mb/s would be help full.

What experience did you guys made?

I am not sure if disableing Hyperthreading is the way to Go?!

Thank you very much :-)

Best

Dominik

1 hour ago, Smaragdhk said:

I did some experimenting again with the latest version…

Using a 10i7 NUC in a fanless case powered by a LPS

Timetec Hynex DDR4 2666 16GB RAM, Optane M.2 drive

demo track DSD version of Fourplay “Cape Town” 

1. hyper-threading ON and Turbo Boost ON

Good dynamics and punchy but muddy soundstage and muddy in the HF

2. hyper-threading ON and Turbo Boost OFF

same good dynamics and punchy as in 1, but massive improvement in HF micro details and added air and definition… 

3. hyper-threading OFF and Turbo Boost OFF

flat dynamics and not resolving sound… boring

4. hyper-threading OFF and Turbo Boost ON

same flat dynamics and boring presentation with again added muddy detail.

My preference for now is 2. HT ON and TB OFF.

Haven’t tried Apacer RAM yet…

Out of curiosity, what is your LPS?

3 hours ago, Smaragdhk said:

I did some experimenting again with the latest version…

Using a 10i7 NUC in a fanless case powered by a LPS

Timetec Hynex DDR4 2666 16GB RAM, Optane M.2 drive

demo track DSD version of Fourplay “Cape Town” 

1. hyper-threading ON and Turbo Boost ON

Good dynamics and punchy but muddy soundstage and muddy in the HF

2. hyper-threading ON and Turbo Boost OFF

same good dynamics and punchy as in 1, but massive improvement in HF micro details and added air and definition… 

3. hyper-threading OFF and Turbo Boost OFF

flat dynamics and not resolving sound… boring

4. hyper-threading OFF and Turbo Boost ON

same flat dynamics and boring presentation with again added muddy detail.

My preference for now is 2. HT ON and TB OFF.

Haven’t tried Apacer RAM yet…

Do try CPU throttling, that made biggest difference for me with an 8i7 NUC. Agree that turbo boost is bad, seems NUC gets dirtier in sound the harder the CPU is pushed.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

Do try CPU throttling, that made biggest difference for me with an 8i7 NUC. Agree that turbo boost is bad, seems NUC gets dirtier in sound the harder the CPU is pushed.

I would think this has a lot to do with the power supply you are using. Can I ask what supply is in your system? 

4 hours ago, edwardsean said:

I would think this has a lot to do with the power supply you are using. Can I ask what supply is in your system? 

Was using an Uptone Audio JS-2 with the 8i7BEH. Still sorting out a next power supply for my change to an ATX motherboard, HDPLEX’s seem hard to get at the moment

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Was using an Uptone Audio JS-2 with the 8i7BEH. Still sorting out a next power supply for my change to an ATX motherboard, HDPLEX’s seem hard to get at the moment

For what it's worth doesn't that top out at 12V?

I'm running a custom modified Super 3 at 19V. I may experiment with turning off HyperThreading. It's just a bit of a pain, because I'm running it fully headless w/ Euphony. So, I don't have any monitor hooked up. 

On this topic of power supplies for NUCs, after reading Jay's massive comparisons of power supplies I'm thinking of experimenting again with supplies.

Should I keep 19V or go up to 24V?

https://audiobacon.net/2021/08/06/the-worlds-best-audiophile-linear-power-supplies/

Th

3 hours ago, edwardsean said:

For what it's worth doesn't that top out at 12V?

I'm running a custom modified Super 3 at 19V. I may experiment with turning off HyperThreading. It's just a bit of a pain, because I'm running it fully headless w/ Euphony. So, I don't have any monitor hooked up. 

On this topic of power supplies for NUCs, after reading Jay's massive comparisons of power supplies I'm thinking of experimenting again with supplies.

Should I keep 19V or go up to 24V?

https://audiobacon.net/2021/08/06/the-worlds-best-audiophile-linear-power-supplies/

Its a question of wattage, that basic  Volts x Amps = watts equation. The JS-2 puts out 4 amps steady state  (48 watts) and can handle transient peaks up to 6amps (72 watts).

The stock Farad Super 3 puts out 3 amps at 19v ( 57 watts)

Over voltage with step down usually means wasted energy in the form of additional heat.

Hyperthreading doesn't directly affect power usage, its basically a scheme to use 1 physical CPU as 2 logical CPU's. Skeptical that it does much for programs like Euphony, seems more

intended for database applications/parallel processing. Turbo mode is basically burst overclocking for the CPU, does directly increase power demand/CPU heat. Both  are set

in BIOS

CPU speed can be controlled in the expert settings for Euphony, so easy to dabble with.  I'd suggest copy the minimum  value to max value to start with, then bump up until

you hear a change you don't like. Note that the values shown by Euphony may not correlate to the actual CPU frequency, you can verify what the actual frequency is by

using the check CPU usage feature, if you have  set a value in expert settings, the actual CPU frequency will show at the bottom of the usage display.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

20 hours ago, davide256 said:

Not entirely clear on the CPU throttling…

my experts settings show min as 400000 and max as 11000000.

what would you suggest as a starting point?

BTW, not using RamRoot, left it disabled … enabling only adds congestion and loss of details.

1C953D68-4BA4-4496-863B-F98C3480FE37.png

5 hours ago, Smaragdhk said:

Not entirely clear on the CPU throttling…

my experts settings show min as 400000 and max as 11000000.

what would you suggest as a starting point?

BTW, not using RamRoot, left it disabled … enabling only adds congestion and loss of details.

1C953D68-4BA4-4496-863B-F98C3480FE37.png

You would put 400000 in the max CPU frequency field. On  8i7BEH NUC the min value equated to 600Mhz, I bumped up to twice that

before I could begin to detect lost clarity for background instruments. Reducing CPU frequency does affect library scan speed and can max out CPU

usage if you are using HQPlayer DSD up-sampling.

I think RAMRoot helps if your boot disk is SSD/HD but it just annoyed me after switching to Optane boot drive. A little better transients but the

acoustic reverberation of piano and guitar was not as rich.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

23 hours ago, davide256 said:

You would put 400000 in the max CPU frequency field. On  8i7BEH NUC the min value equated to 600Mhz, I bumped up to twice that

before I could begin to detect lost clarity for background instruments. Reducing CPU frequency does affect library scan speed and can max out CPU

usage if you are using HQPlayer DSD up-sampling.

I think RAMRoot helps if your boot disk is SSD/HD but it just annoyed me after switching to Optane boot drive. A little better transients but the

acoustic reverberation of piano and guitar was not as rich.

So that equates to min 1200 and max 400000… 

Did you reboot each time after setting the new frequency?

When checking CPU temperature the bottom line CPU freq stays at 1.2 GHz no matter how I change the min and max values…

not noticing any differences in sound…

maybe I’m doing something wrong.

i do have buffer before play = 100% and buffer album to queue set though…

1 hour ago, Smaragdhk said:

So that equates to min 1200 and max 400000… 

Did you reboot each time after setting the new frequency?

When checking CPU temperature the bottom line CPU freq stays at 1.2 GHz no matter how I change the min and max values…

not noticing any differences in sound…

maybe I’m doing something wrong.

i do have buffer before play = 100% and buffer album to queue set though…

Check your BIOS to make sure you have the setting enabled that allows the OS to change CPU frequency. Changing within Euphony was instantaneous

for me. The default speed for i7 NUC should be much higher than 1.2Ghz, for 8i7 NUC the spec was 2.7 with burst to 4.5

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I noticed it is when Turbo is disabled in the BIOS of my NUC7i5 that the values configured don't correspond to the actual CPU frequency. I.e.:

Max CPU configured 0.8GHz results in 1.20GHz

Max CPU configured 1.0GHz results in 1.50GHz

Max CPU configured 1.2GHz results in 1.80GHz

Max CPU configured 1.4GHz results in 2.1GHz

Max CPU configured 1.5GHz results in 2.2GHz

No need to reboot, it is immediate. Anything above 1.5GHz results in 2.2GHz as it is the max CPU speed. 

When Turbo is enabled, values configured are the values shown in sysinfo.

Good day guys.

I have Euphony installed on a Nuc7i7dnhe (Akasa plato case). I'm not able to lower the cpu speed. My goal is to set it to 1.1 Mhz, but even if the max value results changed and saved in the expert settings I see no effect under cpu/temp (cpu speed is always stated at 1.9 Mhz). Any suggestion? I see no partular options in the bios...

Thanks in advance.