Jump to content
IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread


Recommended Posts

I am slowly starting on scoping a second streamer for my setup 2 that due to recent upgraditis (or rather a momentary lapse of reason) had become a more than decent system. 

 

My current streamer is a single box Euphony server running Roon + Stylus EP config. It is powered by an HDplex 300W and USB out via a JCAT Femto. I am currently very inclined on an Allo Digione Signature with an LPS but potentially thinking of a component that can also act as a second box in my main setup and improve SQ.  I have been also thinking about adding optical into my main setup to use my Cisco 2960 SFP port. 

 

Ideas and experience sharing are welcome 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased a Summus Endpoint last week with galvanically-isolated I2S and SPDIF coax outputs. The upgraded ports are also available as an upgrade to the Summus server, though you lose your access to USB audio output as a result. I believe most folks on this thread use a NIC to run Stylus, but for those that own the Summus server or the Endpoint, the upgrade is a big step up. The I2S out is definitely superior to the non-isolated standard USB out, as there’s more solidity and depth to the sound.


My DAC has an I2S input that sounds better than the USB input, so this was an easy decision for me.

 

I don’t have my Denafrips Gaia to compare USB-plus-DDC to the direct I2S out from the Endpoint, but I will do the comparison once my Gaia comes back from repair.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using the network disconnect "Play & Relax" feature. I find that as my system improves and gets more refined, I am noticing a bigger difference when I disconnect from the network. 

 

The issue is that I'm having trouble "relaxing" when I use this feature. It's always a guessing game of whether it come back online. Sometimes it's a matter of when, sometimes Euphony seems to have forgotten all about me. One time I put it on repeat and it just endlessly played my queue–I recognize that was my fault. Each time, I just have to manually shut down my server and restart it. 

 

Is anyone else having this issue? Are there any tricks you've found to make sure it comes back when the album/queue is complete? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have advice on moving from trial/USB to full version? I clicked through the complete install steps but it seems to be still booting from USB, have no idea if it actually copied anything to the internal SSD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrkoven said:

Anyone have advice on moving from trial/USB to full version? I clicked through the complete install steps but it seems to be still booting from USB, have no idea if it actually copied anything to the internal SSD 

You should have selected your NVME as the target of the installation.

 

Try removing the USB drive and rebooting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Exocer said:

You should have selected your NVME as the target of the installation.

 

Try removing the USB drive and rebooting.

 

d'oh, missed that but see it now, thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, edwardsean said:

I've been using the network disconnect "Play & Relax" feature. I find that as my system improves and gets more refined, I am noticing a bigger difference when I disconnect from the network. 

 

The issue is that I'm having trouble "relaxing" when I use this feature. It's always a guessing game of whether it come back online. Sometimes it's a matter of when, sometimes Euphony seems to have forgotten all about me. One time I put it on repeat and it just endlessly played my queue–I recognize that was my fault. Each time, I just have to manually shut down my server and restart it. 

 

Is anyone else having this issue? Are there any tricks you've found to make sure it comes back when the album/queue is complete? 

I have similar issue if I let the euphony does it thing to wake up based on the queue. I also by mistake put on repeat all tracks so it stayed disconnected forever!  Sometimes it gets stuck not going to network disconnect or it just disconnects indefinitely. So I ended  up timing roughly the total playing time of my tracks and manually enter the time it should stay disconnected. Since I do classical I have like 5-6 tracks usually at one time, it is easy to calculate. I suppose you can use the total album time for estimate. There is often a delay in waking up so you can probably put 1 min short to ensure it is connected again by the time the album ends so u can load more tracks.  The improvement is really slight, more psychological and also helps to make me not fuss around with the tracks and force me to finish all the tracks without getting distracted (since I work with music on).  See if this works better 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Euphony Users :-)

 

i've bought my license yesterday and i am completely overwhelmed by the sound quality of Euphony and Roon + HQPlayer.

 

Unfortunately i struggle a bit with the correct configuration of the core isolation. What would be the best settings for a Roon Core + HQPlayer embedded?

 

At the moment i use these settings because i've read that HQPlayer has it's own core isolation policy?

 

Thanks for your help :-)

Best

Dominik

 

grafik.thumb.png.927e4c7f56c95dac17b0b4c3878c7599.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience repeat has no influence on reconnection. It is just that current position in queue has no influence on suggested disconnect time calculation - it is always the total length of the queue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to have Roon (Core running on a Mac mini 2018) streaming to Euphony running on a separate i5 computer connected via Ethernet. Please tell me if I am doing something really stupid.

 

In Euphony, I selected Roon core + HQPlayer as the audio system (see attached screenshot). Then in the Roon Setup menu, I entered the IP address of my i5 running Euphony and in Roon's Audio Settings, I basically activated the HQPlayer zone.

 

This setup works, but when looking at Roon's signal path, it tells me that upsampling occurs with the filters indicated in the screen shot (pily-sinc-short-mp, etc.) even though Euphony per se doesn't do any upsampling whatsoever. Also, Roon's DSP settings are deactivated.

 

Any idea what is going on? Do I do something really stupid here?

 

Thanks for input!

SS1.png

SS2.png

SS3.png

SS4.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was stupid! Now I set the audio system to Roon Core + StylusEP and it behaves as it should, at least that’s what I think: my Mac mini streams Roon content to my i5 running Euphony. Now there’s no upsampling whatsoever.

 

In the previous setting (Roon Core + HQPlayer) it works for about 30 minutes before asking for an HQP license!

 

 

0A047C6E-943A-4614-864C-A63ADC6D5B97.png

330202E7-9640-4876-8C0D-22708434443F.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2021 at 7:18 AM, davide256 said:

Is anyone successfully using 1536 out from Euphony NUC with their DAC/DDC?

 

I noticed yesterday that Denafrips IRIS USB properties said it supported 1411/1536, am working fine up-sampled to 1411 over USB

but the 1536 speed gives music with a lot of noise. Actual coax output speed for the Iris remains 192/24 but so far 1411 seems to reduce/eliminate treble

irritants similar to DSD up-sampling.

 

Trying to figure out if the problem with 1536 is NUC, USB cable (Lush 2) or the IRIS.

 

did you get this working? i have the same issue, 1536pcm plays distorted. 768 works fine. i wonder if anyone has 1536 successfully working on euphony? 1536 worked fine when i ran from windows HQP player.

i know euphony newly added 1536 support a couple months ago maybe there are some things to work out in next update?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, edwardsean said:

I've been using the network disconnect "Play & Relax" feature. I find that as my system improves and gets more refined, I am noticing a bigger difference when I disconnect from the network. 

 

The issue is that I'm having trouble "relaxing" when I use this feature. It's always a guessing game of whether it come back online. Sometimes it's a matter of when, sometimes Euphony seems to have forgotten all about me. One time I put it on repeat and it just endlessly played my queue–I recognize that was my fault. Each time, I just have to manually shut down my server and restart it. 

 

Is anyone else having this issue? Are there any tricks you've found to make sure it comes back when the album/queue is complete? 

Me, yesterday, but the funny thing is that I didn't know about this feature, i was playing music and suddenly a Blue window appeared showing "Play & Relax" and my Rush albums never sounded this good, but then a orange window appears and tells you have no net connection, thing is I never did anything for this to show and I don't have a clue where to find it, the sound was so good that it came to my mind initially that was because of an internet error or disconnection and that my music remained in Ram buffered, so when I disconnected my ER all went down and didn't know what to do except reconnect everything again.

 

Where do i find this Play & Relax feature?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Me, yesterday, but the funny thing is that I didn't know about this feature, i was playing music and suddenly a Blue window appeared showing "Play & Relax" and my Rush albums never sounded this good, but then a orange window appears and tells you have no net connection, thing is I never did anything for this to show and I don't have a clue where to find it, the sound was so good that it came to my mind initially that was because of an internet error or disconnection and that my music remained in Ram buffered, so when I disconnected my ER all went down and didn't know what to do except reconnect everything again.

 

Where do i find this Play & Relax feature?

The sound improves because when you disconnect from the network, you remove its associated noise. I understand where Chopin75 is coming from, the difference can be subtle. I think how much of a real difference it makes will vary depending on multiple factors, e.g., system, network, hearing, type of music, etc.

 

The feature is somewhat buried under: Settings > System > Expert Settings. There's a play button with a broken chain on it, which activates it.

 

You can gain quick access to it by right clicking on the main transport play button or holding it down for 5 seconds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, biosailor said:

Can this feature be de-activated?

 

 

C7F79000-C58D-4E14-B26B-0DB46C95018E.png

The whole idea is to buffer a full album sit back & enjoy full album with network connected. It comes back online when album is finished. If you decide to interrupt network connection (turn back on) you can hit power button once on your server. It works with my server, might not work with yours. So only option is to restart your server by holding power button. 
 

If you usually change your mind often & want to change songs frequently then maybe it not the best option. I don’t use the feature all the time for this reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

The whole idea is to buffer a full album sit back & enjoy full album with network connected. It comes back online when album is finished. If you decide to interrupt network connection (turn back on) you can hit power button once on your server. It works with my server, might not work with yours. So only option is to restart your server by holding power button. 
 

If you usually change your mind often & want to change songs frequently then maybe it not the best option. I don’t use the feature all the time for this reason. 

Thanks for the explanation!

 

Per se, it‘s a good idea, but as you say, after a few tracks one realizes that the album is not as good as one thought.

 

Is there a place in the settings menu to disable this feature altogether?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have updated from 20210614 to 20210716, and the other partition has 20201102.  Based on my quick comparison, this latest feature update (took < 1 min) improves SQ, back to 1102 sound.  I will do more critical listening and will report back.  I hope others can share their listening impression too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PavelDosko said:

new Euphony version is available - 20210716

 

disappointed that euphony does not include latest HQPe in this update... already 4.24 but euphony still on 4.22

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using Windows DUAL-PC booted in RAM for a while now using the NUC I used with Euphony thus I disabled all devices except for USB and I use USB-Ethernet adapter. Recently I tried Euphony on USB-NVME adapter with Optane drive in it and  booted Euphony from there and sending the music to Upnp JPLAY and that sounded very good. I got curious why is it so good so I decided to try Euphony alone with the same hardware config. Euphony never sounded this good!

As this is a new HW config I am using Trial version 20210421 and Root copied to RAM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...