IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been playing with the trial version the past couple of weekends. USB Stick into a 2012 tweaked Mac Mini.

Using Roon & Qobuz, I have not tried any Music Files yet as they are on a couple of FireWire Hard Drives connected to the Mini, not sure they are accessible. I also use HQPlayer Desktop 4 but have not been able to get audio via the trial embedded version in Euphony. Not sure what I am missing, using a Sonore Optical Module and Optical Rendu as my end point. No problem with Roon, listening to Qobuz, I do like how it sounds.

I would like to be able to listen via HQP before I make a decision. 

The configuration of HQP in Euphony sees the oRendu and my Bryston BDA-3 Dac but no sound.

Not sure what the problem is. I only have 16 days left on my trial.....

Any thoughts as to what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have been using 2 MacMini’s; one as my Roon Core and the other is hosting HQPlayer Desktop. I have been considering a Sonic Transporter that will do both tasks @ roughly $2800. I did try Euphony a while back but was only able to use Roon with Tidal, I was not able to play my local files as they are attached via Firewire Hard Drives and could not figure out how and did not have the time to dig in. I did like the sound quality. Based on the 2 Mac Mini scenario would I need a Euphony License, an Endpoint License or both? I’m guessing that by having HQP desktop on a separate device I can circumvent the need for HQP Embedded.
Thanks.....Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good evening all. I have a question, I am listening to Pink Floyd “The Wall” using Stylus + HQPe on my Summus.

I have been completely Buffering Albums before playback and also using Cache settings. Anyone have an idea as to why the tracks are not being played gap less? Tried not using cache, tried not buffering, tried add and play. All scenarios the same, not playing gap less. Just tried it in Roon + HQPe, plays fine....

Spoils things if ya know what I mean. Appreciate the feedback.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Would someone be willing to help me with CPU Isolation? I have a i9900K CPU and am looking to isolate Stylus, HQPe, and gstp. I understand every system is different. Some have shared their settings but they all seem to be 8 Core CPU’s. Not sure how to balance things with the 16 Cores available.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Now we know Zeljko is working on Euphony version 4, which will have new kernel. Do we still have beta testers here? I recall @austinpop & Nenon I think, but they both have moved on. 

I had asked him about using the i9 9900k with Euphony and his reply was that the newer processors are not natively supported but would be with Version 4. This was back in either November or December last year.

I asked when it would be released and he said it would be anywhere from 6-9 months.

I offered to Beta Test...😋

8 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

??? I’m using i9 9900k with Euphony currently! 

So am I, I got the same response from Arthur Power as well when I told him what I was working on as far as my build was concerned. I’m listening right now....

I don’t think it was a question as to wether it would work, I indicated there were many of us doing so already.

59 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Are you aware it's not advised to use core isolation while using HQPlayer? HQPlayer now uses it's own core isolation behind the scenes. So you are effectively using core isolation twice. Worth trying without for a week or so then revert back to see if you hear changes. I felt on my i9 that there was more freedom with core isolation disabled. 

Now that you mention it I vaguely recall reading that. I will change the settings right now.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Edit: I changed things to how you had isolation set: 0-3 stylus 4-5 gstp 6-15

When I hit apply it placed hqplayerd in the 0-3 group, I also noticed that gstp does not appear in the list at all. I am using Roon on my Summus Server playing to HQPlayer Embedded on my HDPlex build right now not using Stylus so that could be why. Effectively it is still placing hqplayerd in a specific group. Should I be setting isolation to default? When I first looked at it; before any strings applied it showed everything at 0-15.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Given this, my 8-core CPU (non-hyperthreading) isolations are:

0 systemd 1 nfm 2 dhcpcd 2 dbus-daemon 2 haveged 2 lvmetad 2 avahi-daemon 2 gstp 3-5 stylus 6-7

How would this work on a 16 Core System? Also for some reason gstp does not show up in my config, it had in the past. Could a Bios setting affect it?

1011FA22-7614-438D-8B88-41B9D5FC55F5.png

6 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

You’re using HQPlayer. gstp is part of Stylus. also you’re not using all your cores. 4-7 are not active. 

So trying this again......

Copy and pasted your settings and this is how it was processed.

Shows Cores 0-3 assignments missing, how can I utilize my cores more efficiently?

Should I be more specific and reassign based on what is showing up as actual usage as in the photo below or is something wrong?

804D3AE2-D8B1-48E1-838F-2B09929FEAB8.thumb.png.e95887b2bef80ced83a77013a99f72e2.png

33 minutes ago, BCRich said:

So trying this again......

Copy and pasted your settings and this is how it was processed.

Shows Cores 0-3 assignments missing, how can I utilize my cores more efficiently?

Should I be more specific and reassign based on what is showing up as actual usage as in the photo below or is something wrong?

Music playing shows Cores 0-7 in use and 8-15 idle. Does this make sense? I’m sure I’m not fully grasping this.

A41C20FA-57D1-40DD-95D9-B0DDD136FDC0.png

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, davide256 said:

Has anyone found a way to have Euphony Stylus server serve music to HQPlayer embedded on a separate server? Can do it with Roon core but haven’t found a way to do it with Stylus. Can do collocated HQP embedded to separate NAA using Stylus but that has longer start of play delay than using Roon core to separate HQP embedded.

I think the only way is to have Stylus Endpoint enabled on the second machine, however doing it this way does not afford you all the upsampling and filter features of HQP. I have never tried it so I can’t comment on how it sounds. I have a Summus Server hosting my Roon Core, I should try it just before the heck of it. From what I have read is that this is supposed to change in Euphony 4.

I just had to re-install Euphony on my NVMe and Zeljko said he can no longer tweak it to get to version 4.24.xx. So I am stuck on 4.22 and as a result cannot upsample to DSD256, constant drop outs.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ellsworth said:

Hello.  This thread has certainly been an education.  I am considering replacing my 2012 MacMini with a Euphony Summus server.  Right now I am running Roon/HQP upsampling to DSD128.  Output is to a Innuos Phoenix reclocker.  The Summus looks like a nice one box upgrade that would be easy to implement.  A couple questions to the board:

1) Are there any people out there that can comment on the Summus server?  It seems most people are building their own computers to run Euphony on.

2). Has Euphony they fixed the gapless issue with HQP embedded?  

Thanks for any comments.

The Summus was definitely a upgrade as far as the 2012 Mac Mini is concerned, at least to my ears. HQP on the Summus is a different story.

The latest versions of HQPe are not supported in Euphony Version 3, its limited to version 4.22.xx. The plan is to bring thing up to snuff in Euphony 4.

I use my Summus for Roon duties and HQPe on my custom HDPlex Server.

• 2 weeks later...