IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

I am going to download the trial version of Euphony to my MacBook, which I use to stream Tidal.  I have an EtherRegen on order for January delivery.  

Once the ER arrives my setup will be:

MacBook Pro (Euphony + Roon) > wireless > Apple Airport Extreme > ethernet cable > EtherRegen > ethernet cable  > Sonore UltraRendu.

I am curious if any member here that owns the ER and is using Euphony (installed on a device that is upstream of the ER), would mind experimenting to see if Euphony still improves sound quality, and if so, is it to the same degree as before inserting their EtherRegen?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 10:20 AM, bobfa said:

My story has evolved rather quickly over the last three months.  I have not had a lot of time to report on it yet.  It will not be on the Euphony thread!  Today I am operating something completely different that is even better sounding.  

Bob, I have been reading your threads with great interest.  I look forward to your future findings/posts and appreciate the time and effort you make in sharing your findings with the forum.  

That the Signature USBridge + Shanti + MoOde can compete with or better your Sonore + Euphony combo is rather mind-blowing, especially considering the price differential!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 5 weeks later...

Question:

My system is as follows:

MacBook Pro > wireless > Apple Airport > ethernet cable > EtherRegen > ethernet cable > Sonore UltraRendu > DAC.

I only stream via Tidal (I don't play any locally stored content). 

If I install Euphony (beta version with UPNP support) on the MacBook Pro:

1. When streaming Tidal, will I be getting  the full sound quality benefit of the both the Euphony OS and Stylus Player, or would I need to run a one-box solution in place of the MacBook Pro + UltraRendu, such as a NUC to get the Euphony OS and Stylus Player sound quality improvements?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone purchased the Euphony Summus Server or been able to find any user reviews online?  

Also, curious if anyone has a rough guess on what a roughly comparable DIY server would be?

19 minutes ago, RickyV said:

A good many people have build a Summus like server with a intel NUC7i7dn.. in an Akasa plato case.

An other possibility is a porcupine from simplyNUC, @bobfa has one.

Or if you are feeling adventurous AMD is coming with a fan less ryzen NUC that might be interesting.

Thanks, I just checked out the porcoolpine.  So DIY would be around $1,000 for the NUC and then buying the Euphony software for a total DIY of around $1,300?

5 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I built a NUC into the akasa case and then the folks at simplyNUC started building their own fan-less case.  I think I would have purchased that instead.

My rough estimate is a bit higher.  including the Power Supply at say around $500 depending.  All in you are close to $2000.  I really did not keep track!  

The Summus server may have some more things up its sleeve that we do not know about as the Euphony release notes mention Summus Specific Features.

Bob

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. Good point, the Summus may have some additional tweaks/improvements.  I would probably just go with the Summus given the price delta between the Summus vs. DIY.

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

Blake,

Tell us a bit more about what your goals are please?  There are a lot of options

I only stream Tidal, and there is a possibility I could add Qobuz. I won’t be playing any local files.  Streaming only.

I am very happy with my Ultrarendu/LPS 1.2/EtherRegen combo.  I stream wirelessly from a MacBook Pro to Airport Express, then connect to the EtherRegen with copper.

It seems people really like Euphony for sound quality.

I was initially thinking of purchasing Euphony to install on the MacBook, but not sure how much improvement it would make given it would obviously not be installed on my endpoint UltraRendu so that is why I was thinking Summus.  I don’t want to spend a lot since this area is in such a state of constant change.

I am open to suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...