IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

3 hours ago, FelipeRolim said:

In direct comparison, Euphony still denotes some dryness and harmonic poverty, while Windows Server 2019 delivers much richer, fuller sound. It's a much more beautiful and organic sound. The voices are correct, which doesn't exist with Linux. So while it's less exhibitionistic than the others and doesn't appeal to excessive clarity to create a false sense of detail and definition, it still has the same timeless inaccuracy that is common to Linux. It's amazing how explicit it is.

2 hours ago, Nsxturbo said:

So back to XXHighEnd and Windows out of RAM I went. Now what was missing was readily obvious! The textures, the body, the sense of real depth, the naturalness. It really was no comparison. Stylus was just not even in the same league. Could it get there? I don’t know, but it has a long way to go and I’m not sure if Linux is the underlying issue.

This! Couldn't agree more.

Our system, ears and personal preferences are obviously different. So there's no absolute in this. I'll be brief.

For years, I've been using Windows Server optimized with AudioPhileOptimizer in my highly tweaked music server with i7 CPU (dated at this point). Last year, I installed AudioLinux (boot from USB on the same server) - my first foray into Linux. It was exactly like you described, good soundstage, lots of details and extension. But the richer texture, full bodied sound that I get from Windows Server was missing. After tweaking AL for months, I gave up and went back to Windows Server again.

Last month, I tried Euphony only for few days. Really impressed with how good the whole package is. More dynamic and musical than AL. Didn't try Euphony's 100% file caching but overall while it sounded better than AL but fell short compare to Windows Server optimized with AO. There's something about this dryness in Linux sound, it gets fatiguing. 

I've used Windows Server 2012, 2016 and 2019. In my ears, Windows Server 2016 is the one to get (esp if you are using AO which is a must for Windows). To my ears, WS2016 smoother and organic sounding than WS2012 and WS2019.