IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Hi All

I have been playing around with Euphony running Roon and HQ Player. 

The interesting things here is I can run XTR filters and new ASDM7EC on my Windows Server 2019 using AO & Fidelizer, albeit my processor running at 90%. no buffer

The above filters simple will not on Euphony, even with buffer set in HQ player. Stutters and Stutters. Try hours trying to resolve. 

So here's my question, if Euphony is optimized just for music then why can't it do what Windows server is doing?

You think USB drive got something to do with it?

Unless anyone has any ideas I'll give up and go back to Windows

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have recently purchased Euphony end point running NAA, replacing AL on my TLS end point. I do like the sound of Euphony. So I thought I would trial Euphony on my server running HQ Player Embedded & Roon Server. I also liked the changes in sound from my server running Euphony, this also replaced AL, but here's the problem......

Running AL on my server I can run HQ player Embedded with the following Settings;

DSD

NAA

Filter - Poly-sinc-xtr-mp

Shaper - ASDM7EC

Buffer - 0

Output - 5644800/1/2

My server is;

- i7700 T 2.9Ghz

Hyper Threading - Off

C-States - Off

Turbo (to 3.6Ghz- Off

Other bios setting disabled I don't need

No PCIe GPU

(I like the above settings off, I prefer the sound)

AL Settings;

Ramroot - Enabled

Kernal - Latest

Realtime Priority - Extreme

Isolated cores - 1-3 for Audio

Now playing music with HQplayer embedded my 3 cores for audio run around 75-80%, other core runs around 50%, runs well no stuttering! ever. So all good. 

Now with Euphony...........In Ramroot and non RAM Root (HQ player and Roon Server)

The settings above simply do not work. Here what I have tried;

Settings above - Stuttering/skipping. All 3 processors maxed out at 99-100%%.

Removed Core isolation, given me back 1 extra core, so 4 in total, All 4 processors maxed out at 99-100%%, still skipping.

Turned on Turbo increasing from 2.9Ghz to 3.6Ghz, All 4 processors maxed out at 96-99%. still skipping

Turned on Hyper Threading - All 4 processors maxed out at 95-98-100%. still skipping

Even defaulted my Bios, run everything as standard, still same result. 

Running from Sandisk USB, tried another brand, Tried with and without Ramrrot - No difference

So only other thing to try was changing HQ player settings!

I changed Filter - Poly-sinc-xtr-mp to Filter - Poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s. This change got it to play, but still 90+%, whereas these settings Filter - Poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s settings AL processors on 3 cores only runs at 56%. 

I then changed back to Poly-sinc-xtr-mp to Filter and changed the Shaper from ASDM7EC to ASDM7, this still did not work. Seems Euphony simply cannot play the Poly-sinc-xtr-mp filters. 

So what is going on with the performance (not sound quality) with AL & Euphony. Seems (in my case anyway) the performance of AL is much faster/more efficient than Euphony. It''s a pity that Euphony cannot cope with my HQ player settings, because I do like the tonal difference that Euphony brings, but without the HQplayer settings I really enjoy, thia leaves me staying with AL for the time being.

I am not writing this email to detract anyone from buying Euphony because I do like the sound quality it brings and sure in future releases Euphony will become from efficient in terms of performance. Now I could be wrong and there is a solution I am missing. So, just in case I have missed something obvious, or someone has the same performance experience they would like to share which might point me in a new direction. Also have other Euphony users seen performance difference moving over from AL to Euphony?. 

Also to point out my above settings that run on AL without any issues also run on Windows Server 2019. 

Any comments appreciated and thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Looking for a bit of help, finally purchased Euphony license, I already had end point license running my NAA. 

Euphony doesn't find my Thecus NAS. It's running SMB server. Works no issues with AL, & Roon, but not Euphony. I must be doing something wrong. address smb://192.168.1.100/Music. 

I type into server box 192.168.1.100 & Music in path box. is there a certain way to enter the info?

when I click browse it doesn’t find anything. 

I’m running from usb drive, no ssd’s installed

Thanks in advance

Hi

Anyone else here using Euphony Stylus with HQplayer?, I simple cannot get it to work, 16 hours. HQplayer and Roon work, but cannot get Stylus and HQ player to play anything. "No outputs"

Here everything I've done.

1) - Roon and HQ player work without any issues. See attached photos showing HQ player setting from http://192.168.1.75:8089/config, as you can see at the bottom it is showing my Streamer player running Euphony with NAA) "NAA: TAD-USB2D: USB Audio" This plays music no problem

2) - Then I start Stylus on main menu, Stylus says no output. as you can see from other attached photo I have HQ player box ticked to work with Stylus. The Euphony HQ player options cannot find my NAA, I presume this is the problem?

3) - Please note I have tried, 

rebooted both versions of Euphony/Refreshing, 
        Rebooting my router, 
        changed IP address, 
        changed host names on Euphony to make sure no conflicts
        I even went to the shops and bought 2 other usb drives in case they were corrupt, still the same issue
        Tried Euphony downloader and also image
        Completed Euphony installations
        Tried from USB and running SSD, still I have the same issue. Euphony Stylus cannot find Euphony NAA

Anyone else experience these issues?

Untitled22.png

Untitled.png

Roon Working with HQ player.png

Hi, anyone here having issues with Ramroot & Roon?

I setup Roon using my backup, all up & running with Ramroot disabled. I enable Ramroot & tick box copy to.... reboot. Load Roon & all settings have gone. I need to restore from backup again. So effectively each time I come in/out of Ramroot, Roon requires setup again. 

???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I've been tinkering...as you do...…..

I was running Euphony Server and Euphony NUC end point to my DAC, then I thought I would try this...and really like it...

----- My endpoint (TLS) is now running Roon Core, sending data to my server

----- My server is running Stylus & HQ player option. My server is now connected to my DAC

Why?

----Now I feel I have the best of both worlds, because I can use Roon app and Stylus app on my phone at same time, why would I want this? Discovering new music on Roon (Tidal) is great, and easy access to add to favourites, also good for A/B testing. 

----Other main reason it frees up some performance on my server, which now means I can run HQ player at higher settings. 

In my case I think it sounds better overall, but 100% confident it will be system dependant, please note you will need full Euphony license on each machine to test this. 

If you like tinkering give it a go...

Merry Xmas to all by the way. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow Euphony users. 

Does anyone else have this issue? On my iPhone running Euphony app, I set the rows to show 3 covers wide. Which is my preferred option. The issue is whenever the app is closed & opened again it resets to 2 covers wide. So effectively I have to set to 3 per row each time I open the app. 

• 3 weeks later...

If there was feature or fix for next update in Euphony. It would be able to set how many covers per page & set them. So when you open browser or app they are in the set position. also same if you set view as artistalbum it stays set when you restart browser or app. Other than that I really love Euphony. 

1 hour ago, drjimwillie said:

Hi, I am interested in trying Euphony/stylus. 

I am currently running AL with HQplayer embedded.  I have Roon on my NAS. I do not have any hard drive/Optane my server/endpoint one box system.

It used to be that Euphony required a hard drive/storage, but I understand now it can be loaded from a thumb drive into RAM. is this correct?

Although, the trial has to be run off a thumb drive. It cannot be loaded into the computer?

I have a Holo Spring DAC, it sounds best in NOS mode. 

Has anyone here been running a system like mine where they were using HQplayer to upsample to a Holo Spring DAC and they find Euphony with Stylus to sound better. With no oversampling?  No HQPe. 

Can I use Euphony with HQPlayer embedded to upsample to Stylus player ?

Have I read that some are using HPQe with no upsampling? 

Thank you 

Will

Until I bought an Optane drive I was using USB drive, running HQ player & Stylus, sometimes Roon, but Stylus sounds better. 

Load trial onto usb stick. Then loads up. Stylus gives you option to complete installation, just choose your usb drive from drop down menu. 

8 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

Are you saying Stylus by itself sounds better than stylus with HQPlayer?

What DAC do you have?  Does it up sample?

are you playing the Files at their native rate?

I do not know if I can use an Optane drive in my computer and I’m not going to install a SSD or HD.  I do not want to run off a USB drive forever.  For long term I want to be sure that I can load the software into RAM and remove the thumb drive.

I am excitedly looking forward to hearing from others that have a Holo Spring DAC. 

Please enjoy your day

Hi, I mean Stylus media player sounds better than Roon. I upsample using HQPlayer 128k DOP to my TAD D1000 Dac. 

• 2 weeks later...

@audiopop I read you do large amount of testing for Euphony, are you aware if the JCAT driver has been optimized for SQ? I believe it's just using a generic driver? Marcin comments below. If it's not been done already would be good to trial?

•  
On 2/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, ASRMichael said:

Re Femto Drivers. As owners are aware when you purchase the Femto there is a guide on how to get the best SQ by changing driver settings, well in Windows at least. As for Linux I believe it's just a generic driver. Generic what does this mean? it simply doesn't have all the settings Windows driver has, so can't be optimized?, is it an inferior driver?, if so, then can the driver be improved?/optimized?

I think that some settings can be adjusted, but I can't provide detailed instructions as my experience with linux is limited. 

3 hours ago, flkin said:

An interesting discovery about Euphony  😉

I wonder if this has already been discovered or whether its a designed function of Euphony of which I was unaware but there is a way to run Stylus and Roon at the same time with the same music database without having to switch between the two in the Euphony Select Audio System menu.

Before last night, I had to choose either to play by Stylus for the sound quality or Roon/StylusEP to use Roon's excellent music discovery interface. And I had to switch between the two using the "Select Audio System" menu.

Well it turns out you don't have to. 😄

Step 1:

I play Stylus from my all-in-one Pink Faun 2.16x streamer (PF). My music database is in this streamer. I select the upsampling function by "HQPlayer for Stylus".

Step 2:

I installed Roon in another server on my network which happened to be a spare SonicTransporter (ST) I had lying around and was repurposed into a Plex server for my movies. From here, I pointed to the same music library inside my PF.

This way I was planning to use Stylus for playback but have the Roon resource ready at a moments notice to research or find music.

Step 3:

With the recent version of Euphony, there is a new function which allows Roon to play higher than 192kHz files through Squeezelite using HQPlayer as the conduit. It's simply to opt to use HQPlayer in Roon and to use "euphony" in place of "localhost", then select to use Squeezebox devices in Roon's menu settings. Then selecting HQPlayer as the output device - which should be working as StylusEP via HQP.

This all works fine as expected but I found that HQP was upsampling my Roon playback despite Roon saying it wasn't supposed to with the upsampling settings the same as what I selected inside Stylus. This might be that I selected to use HQPlayer in Stylus inside the PF streamer or that my Roon installation was outside of Euphony.

Whatever the case may be, with these settings, I further found that I could then run both Roon (from ST) and Stylus (from PF) side by side and play tracks from either, from the same database, without having to switch systems inside Euphony. Playing a track from Roon would stop Stylus playing and switch to Roon. And vice versa, with Stylus automatically stopping Roon's playback upon selecting a Stylus track.

It's very nice to be able to switch between the two instantly. Hope others will find this useful too! 

Cheers, Kin

Unanswered questions:

- How does Roon/StylusEP/HQP upsampled sound compared to Stylus?

- Perhaps there is no need to upsample and Stylus/Roon will still work side by side? 

- Will the EtherRegen now finally sound good if it's placed between the SonicTransporter and my Pink Faun acting as an Euphony End Point?

Hi is this working the same way as I posted in #872?