IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Since Roon uses it's own Tidal database and Euphony uses public Tidal API it is possible that Roon servers are overworked. Just guessing though... Otherwise it doesn't make sense that Stylus never has these problems if it is a matter of general internet congestion.

• 2 months later...

@biosailor

You can also try doing Full-Rescan of the offending album folder: navigate to the folder from Files view and click blue database icon on the top right while holding CTRL key.

If you have multiple album folders with the problem go up in the folder hierarchy and do Full-Rescan there.

Also, Composer tag is not part of the album identification so different Composer tags should not cause this problem..

• 3 weeks later...

@Speedy381

Do you buffer the whole queue before playback? That should be better than using just 100% buffer option.
Have you tried the new expert option 'Play & disconnect' where your network is disconnected for the total duration of the queue playback time?

I somehow don't believe that files buffered from NAS can be different from files buffered from local storage but i do believe that the whole system may be in a different 'state' after buffering is finished in each case.
Also, maybe there is a difference to be heard if, after you buffer the whole queue, you wait some time (several minutes?) before starting playback? To let the system 'settle down' after buffering? I know this is not practical - but it may be worth to try and see if anything changes.

I don't use NAS and cannot try this (and my system is probably not that resolving anyway).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, edwardsean said:

I wonder if I revert to ...216, I can go back one more to ...108. I'm tempted to try but I get a message that cautions me about using this feature. 

As per this article: https://euphony-audio.com/hesk/knowledgebase.php?article=9 since there are 2 equivalent OS partitions (active and inactive) and image update always changes the other partition - you can only switch (revert) between the 2 last image updates. Revert is just booting from the other partition (nothing is downloaded). 

12 hours ago, Joerg D said:

Hallo

I always get the message:

Sorry, you don't have enough RAM to use ramroot with Euphony.

Jörg

You never get the exact value of the installed memory available to you (neither on Windows or Linux). Some of it is reserved by kernel and some by BIOS - depending on the machine/BIOS. Ramroot threshold is somewhere around 4GB so while some users with "4GB" can enter it, others can't.
Try to check BIOS settings and see if there is any mention of "reserved memory" (maybe for the graphics card) and see if you can lower that. 

• 1 month later...

There is a difference. It can be seen from this article: https://euphony-audio.com/hesk/knowledgebase.php?article=18 that online songs are buffered/downloaded during playback while local songs are fully buffered before playback.

Not to mention that some people hear the difference between songs that are played after some network activity (even buffering from NAS) and songs played without recent network activity (buffering from locally attached storage).

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BCRich said:

Music playing shows Cores 0-7 in use and 8-15 idle. Does this make sense? I’m sure I’m not fully grasping this.

HQPlayer does its own isolation so Jussi recommends not to mess with it. And since there is no way to exempt HQPlayer when using Euphony CPU isolation it is maybe better not to use Euphony isolation at all when playing through HQPlayer.

To explain the screenshot: CPU0 probably has a USB IRQ handler on it and since your output is DSD256 it has a lot of data going through it.,,

CPU4 is obviously HQPlayer upsampling from DSD128 to DSD256.

Has anyone tried comparing
1) USB IRQ on the same core as gstp
vs
2) USB IRQ on a dedicated core - not the core reserved also for gstp or anything else

I cannot really tell the difference but my current system is not extremely resolving right now....

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mrkoven said:

Do you know if AL has this core utilization issue as well? Coincidentally I am in the middle of building a 9900K server for DSD256 7EC. I intended to go with Euphony OS for ease of setup but may be a dealbreaker with this issue. 

Apparently, this was resolved for at least one user (by direct intervention over remote connection). I advise contacting support if you have the same issue.

24 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Example after the IRQ assignment with irq/162 1 and irq/163 2

162:      70837       1874          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524288-edge      eth0-0

163:          0     491804        138          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524289-edge      eth0-1

Result: In my constellation, it doesn't work. The reason is probably that the Solarflare NIC does its own mapping like HQPlayer. In the BIOS I set the Solarflare firmware to lowest latencies.

It works. Those numbers are cumulative. As numbers on new assignments rise, numbers on old assignments should stay the same. Leave it running with new assignments for a longer period and it should be obvious.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ngocpham said:

I got new computer with intel core i5 11600k on MSI z590 Pro Wifi main board & Gigabyte M2 250GB

I followed the instruction below to do TRIAL install, but the boot process just be stopped at step #5

You should contact support with the exact model of the LAN network card. 

Some 2.5GB cards are known to not work with Euphony - don't remember which ones.

It stands to reason that no physical connection is better than only a disabled network adapter. So for maximum effect you should also try disconnecting the cable after starting "Play and disconnect" (not sure how Euphony handles disconnecting the cable otherwise - if the network is in an active state...).

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

My understanding is Euphony network is completely shutdown. I think pulling the cable out causes the network card to keep checking if cable is there. Which results in network activity. 

I'll admit that I never looked at any network driver or NIC firmware implementation but I found all your premises suspect:
1) Disabling the network stack surely doesn't 'shutdown' the card (whatever "shutdown" should mean...)
2) If the network were completely shutdown why would it be constantly checking anything?
3) Why would the card check if the cable is there - what is there to check? I would rather assume that connecting the cable triggers the activity in the card's firmware.
4) Even if the NIC would constantly check if the cable is there, why would this create "network activity"? This would be entirely inside the card and since I cannot assume that disabling network interface in kernel somehow powers-down the card this would hardly influence anything since some kind of idle loop must be going on in the card firmware at all times (enabled/disabled, cable connected or not...)

I may be completely wrong (i.e., while disabled, NIC is in low power mode and removing the cable indeed wakes it up increasing the noise from card circuits...), but all this is moot anyway... Somebody ought to really check it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the time you can enter any frequency with 100k increments but sometimes only several (3-4) discreet steps are available and if you don't guess them exactly nothing will happen.

You can find these steps in the documentation but I'm sure support can check this over remote control too.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't have an installation of Euphony to refer to at the moment, perhaps someone here can answer these questions.

1) In a system with more than one storage drive, does Euphony show those as one pooled drive, or separate drives?

2) Is it possible to direct Stylus to play to an installation of HQPlayer elsewhere on the network rather than the embedded version included?

1) Drives are shown separately (in Files view and Settings)
2) No, Euphony only knows how to connect and control local HQPlayer

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I think it would make sense for Euphony to remove HQPlayer from the OS entirely and allow to send output from Stylus to an external HQPlayer. If not remove it entirely, then give us the option to use an externally located HQPlayer.

I have some inside info... This will be an option in v4.
But I don't think HQPlayer will be removed.