IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

33 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

It's also quite a bit more expensive than JRiver updates for major versions.

HQPlayer and Euphony are both relatively pricey, but you get great sound and great support with your purchase. I think they're worth it myself. Now that I've heard how good my system can sound, I wouldn't be satisfied without including them in my chain.

But yes, a discounted bundle purchase or a group purchase would be nice.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, austinpop said:

Indeed. To reiterate - only use the "Copy app data to RAM" flag for the specific case where:

1. you're booting off ejectable media like USB stick, AND
  2. you're running endpoint services like Roon Bridge, StylusEP, Squeezelite, or NAA.

Using this flag for running Roon Server or Stylus is not something I'd recommend, due to the crippled functionality.

Avoid the "Copy app data to RAM" option like the plague if you're booting off an internal drive, like Optane or other SSD. These devices can't be ejected anyway, so the whole point of this option is moot.

Wow, definitely do not play around with Ramroot until you read the KB article! I turned the option on while I was using Euphony Stylus. Big mistake! I thought I bricked my Euphony install, but fortunately, Željko came to my aid as soon as I requested assistance.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, dc-audiogeek said:

Version 2020709 has some issues.

I encountered severe issues with running Roon Core on the Summus after the update. Lots of weird errors and crashes. 

Also, the sound quality is worse after the update. I thought something was wrong with my headphone amp. I went searching for silver cables because the sound had become overly warm and diffuse. 

I've since reverted back to the older version, and now Roon works fine and the sound quality is back to how it was before.

These issues have been fixed in version 20200712. Everything works.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, edwardsean said:

- tags that are not directly indexed by music DB are accumulated in "otherfields" tag - which is now used in search and in filters
- add menu items for switching to another Euphony and shutting down both machines only if other machine responds to network query 
- added more checks to registration dialog (to make clear when people confuse voucher code with registration code)
- clarified some messaging in Complete Installation dialog
- Roon core updated to 1.8
- improved internal/external drive mounting and detection
- reconnecting network interface after Play and disconnect now possible even for WiFi interface
- added IRQ handling in Expert Settings CPU isolation
- fixed UPnP for some UPnP endpoints (RoPieee and SOtM confirmed)
- added UPnP conversion option: bit-depth 
- fixed supported rates detection
- fixed "Song is not accessible on path.. " error 
- fixed Qobuz playlist content limit of 50 items
- fixed problems that appear when you fill the RAM with buffered songs from Queue

Plus, they un-hid AirPlay in the Summus interface! It's once more an option for Summus users. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, dc-audiogeek said:

I held out for a while, but today I reverted back to Stylus version 20210108 and am surprised at the improvement. The sound is warmer and less "digital," as others have observed. 

Earlier this week, I upgraded my headphone system Summus server "back" to version 20212017v3 of Euphony Stylus. I got tired of seeing the pop-ups (after every reboot) notifying me that there was a newer version available. I've made some power-related tweaks to my headphone system since my 3/11 post that have smoothed the overall sound a bit, so I haven't noticed the "digital" quality of Stylus 20212017v3 returning to my system.

My living room/home theater Euphony PTS server is still on version 20210108. I'm not going to mess with that one until the next Stylus version update.

4 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Was it 216 or 217 that caused the issue with SQ? I run my NUC with 217 on my 2nd license. I use my NUC like a NAS. Hence the photo below. 

058FADC0-81F2-4AC8-9EA3-4C7AFE1148DC.png

I went straight from 20210108 to 20210217, so I assume it started in 20210216 and carried over to 20210217? I was never offered the option to go to 20210216.

• 1 month later...

I went back to Stylus version 108 with my Summus because I thought 421 sounded a bit dull in comparison. Streaming directly to my DAC via Ethernet sounded better than the Summus on version 421, more lively. Version 108 and direct Ethernet still sound different, with Ethernet having a little more liveliness but a little less focus and refinement.  I may flip back to 421 and compare again. I would love to have a version of Stylus that's a clear winner sound-wise. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Add album go to expert menu. There’s a play button. It disconnects the network 

Thanks, but that solution didn't work for me. I have a Euphony Summus server, and unfortunately, it doesn't have an expert menu in Stylus, which I was told is because the software is fully "optimized" already. 

I reached out to Euphony support and Mr. Z told me that disconnecting from the network could be activated by clicking/tapping on and holding the play button. There is no option to set a time limit for disconnection, but pressing the power button on the Summus will reconnect it to the network.

It's interesting how the different builds of Stylus differ...

• 1 month later...

I purchased a Summus Endpoint last week with galvanically-isolated I2S and SPDIF coax outputs. The upgraded ports are also available as an upgrade to the Summus server, though you lose your access to USB audio output as a result. I believe most folks on this thread use a NIC to run Stylus, but for those that own the Summus server or the Endpoint, the upgrade is a big step up. The I2S out is definitely superior to the non-isolated standard USB out, as there’s more solidity and depth to the sound.

My DAC has an I2S input that sounds better than the USB input, so this was an easy decision for me.

I don’t have my Denafrips Gaia to compare USB-plus-DDC to the direct I2S out from the Endpoint, but I will do the comparison once my Gaia comes back from repair.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Euphony Stylus beta has been released! Version 4.20220527 is now out in the world. 😀

It's definitely an early beta. It can only be run directly from a USB stick and there are a number of features that haven't been enabled yet. But it's here before 2023! Praise the digital gods.