IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

@austinpop, at the risk of cluttering your inbox, I wonder if you (or anyone else here) has thoughts on the viability of using Adrian's TLS DS-1 as an endpoint running Euphony/StylusEP. Zeljko told me that generally a NUC can be booted with Euphony, and StylusEP run, off of a USB stick, so it should work in theory, but Adrian, while encouraging, wasn't sure and said I would just need to try it to find out. (The reason I am considering punting to a prebuilt reclocked NUC, despite the higher price tag, is that I just don't have the time for the DIY route right now, but am eager to get aboard with the new StylusEP, and I'm not aware of other options besides the DS-1.)

Thanks for any thoughts, and generally for your heroic generosity and good spirit in everything you do on here (that goes for others that have shared so much, too).

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi Crustacean,

Since I no longer have a DS-1 in my physical possession, I cannot confirm this with 100% certainty, but I can think of no reason why Euphony would not work on a DS-1, since the latter is basically a reclocked NUC7PJYH. In any case, you can download a trial version of Euphony and just try it.

Thank you very much @austinpop -- this is helpful. Great to get your perspective. If I pursue this option I'll report how it goes.

11 hours ago, bobfa said:

This is moving very very quickly.  A couple of folks have gone back to single box systems replacing reclocked NUCs, etc.  Look for posts from @romaz and @austinpop

on several other threads. Do not rush into this.  

Note there are folks like  TotallySilentPC who can build your custom hardware.  Or SimplyNUC that put a NUC into a fanless case for a reasonable price.

Over on the "Massive" thread, there are some summaries linked on the first post.

Great points @bobfa, much appreciated. Yes, I've been riveted to the "Massive" thread for a while now, including those recent findings. And I've been so impressed with, and grateful for, everything you've been posting in such detail to help others with this daunting and rapidly evolving cluster of discoveries—thank you! 

For now I'm juggling many considerations and constraints in the context of a small-footprint family living quarters, including serving five endpoints and having to process heavy convolution filters for the primary one, so I'm thinking I'll stick with a distributed setup for now, despite the possible compromises of doing so. Given the relatively low cost of entry of even something like the DS-1, my thinking (which admittedly may still be incomplete) is that now that StylusEP is in the mix, upgrading my primary endpoint this way could buy me a nice short-term improvement, as well as some time to contemplate possible bigger changes down the road as knowledge continues to evolve—as you so rightly point out that it is doing, rapidly. Huge props to all the generous pioneers here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, bobfa said:

This is moving very very quickly.  A couple of folks have gone back to single box systems replacing reclocked NUCs, etc.  Look for posts from @romaz and @austinpop

on several other threads. Do not rush into this.  

Note there are folks like  TotallySilentPC who can build your custom hardware.  Or SimplyNUC that put a NUC into a fanless case for a reasonable price.

Over on the "Massive" thread, there are some summaries linked on the first post.

@bobfa, I'm definitely going to take your sage advice after all and not rush into this, after seeing these early comments on TLS DS-1 & server: