bobfa

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Rate this topic

Hi @ArthurPower and welcome to AS 

I am in the process of building me a dual pc setup and I want to keep it like that. I have learned from @bobfa that Euphony os can be configured as both a server as well as the steamer so that is good. But if I go for Euphony do I need two copies/licenses at two times the prices?

Rick

🇳🇱
Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

EtherRegen, LPS1- Isoregen, Lush^2

Oh and @ArthurPower I think it is necessary that you show in your signature that you are from Euphony otherwise people get angry over here, a specially the boss. 

🤫🤫🤫🤫

🇳🇱

Under development:

Wouldn’t it be possible to use AudioLinux for the server and Euphony for the endpoint? 

🇳🇱

Under development:

I have two nuc7i7dnbe and I was going for the AL/LMS sqweezelite configuration but that is a bit of pain to install for me, with tidal and local files. So to make my life easier I was thinking to put Euphony on a Delock SATA 6 Gb/s Flash Module 8 GB SLC and use the SATA slot. Why, because I what to keep the m.2 slot free for a jcat net card/ bridging. 

Question: is the 8 GB enough for Euphony? I read somewhere that Euphony also uses the os drive for buffering music so maybe 8GB is a bit small for best sq.

I am not interested in Roon, if you do not start with Roon you do not have to struggle with the Roon money on your back 😂. But is one Euphony nuc better then two nuc configuration???

Separately powered and SLC!!!

49EEF1A5-EFE4-47D1-AD42-33E5C579B1B0.jpeg.692b932e17e7899d8f72393c44e31ec7.jpeg

🇳🇱

Under development:

17 minutes ago, mozes said:

Mee too, I am not interested in Roon. I am currently running LMS with Win 10 on my server and feeding SL with Euphony on my end point and very happy with the SQ. I still want to try AL on the server, but not sure if it supports LMS.

AL supports LMS but to get ipeng the remote s.w to accept tidal is a pain. But I am hardware guy I guess, no patients for s.w.

🇳🇱

Under development:

17 hours ago, RickyV said:

Question: is the 8 GB enough for Euphony? I read somewhere that Euphony also uses the os drive for buffering music so maybe 8GB is a bit small for best sq.

From the Euphony site:

Solution

Yes, you must have dedicated HDD/SSD to install Euphony. It cannot include any other software/partitions. Euphony is first installed on USB by writing complete Euphony disk image to it (this only support Legacy boot). Later, when installing on chosen internal disk from euphony application this disk will be automatically formatted and partitioned (4 partitions) before restoring euphony operating system file structure to it (this supports UEFI boot). 

Similar to USB requirements you need at least 8GB disk capacity for your permanent Euphony installation. If you are planning to use this disk for you music library then, of course, it should have a lot more capacity. If you already have a disk which contains your music files you can attach it too, either internally, via usb or via network. Most optimal is to have big SSD disk but Euphony employs several optimizations so your playback will not suffer no matter where the song files actually are: on slow disk, attached usb drive or network.

After Install, system partitions will take 8GB capacity, all the space left will be used for data partition where your music library can reside.

🇳🇱

Under development:

Alternative SLC SSD:

Western Digital green ssd,

Adata SU650.

🇳🇱

Under development:

I have asked Željko too if 8GB is enough. He said it was if local files are elsewhere and the cache to drive function is off and buffering is at 100% SQ is as good as it can be, he said.

@Chopin75 i am trying to find an SLC ssd, according to @romaz the next best thing after optane.

🇳🇱

Under development:

3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

This may be obvious and so probably a dumb discovery as I am sure many have discovered this already. Tonight I discovered how noisy my external HDD (where the music is stored) is which when attached to  my PC actually affects the sound in quite negative way. I discovered this by accident as I suddenly found the sound of the same music file suddenly has become worse, and I realized that the only difference is I reattached the external HDD. So A/B comparison has confirmed this, with loss of space and air between notes, reduced analogue smoothness, and "harder" sound with the attached HDD, but once taken off the these issues are gone and sound becomes more "relaxed" etc...

Interestingly, even if I plug in the HDD without attaching or "mounting" the HDD to Euphony the sound still suffers. After mounting perhaps the sound gets worse (but rather subtle) compared with physically attached but not mounted.

Previously I did not notice much change probably I was using galvanic isolation device with another computer but now with this finless PC I am not using galvanic isolation device (sounds better without it) and so the HDD noise becomes more apparent. 

Maybe that's where a LMS or roon server can help. You do not have to connect a hdd.

🇳🇱

Under development:

Got my Euphony experience today, sounds good. I am still configuring and getting use to the app. What I am missing how to get tidal on there. I have looked in the Euphony guide but not clear enough. And the guide says “For full Tidal experience we still suggest using Tidal’s own web application” how that working?

Any suggestions?.

🇳🇱

Under development:

Ah got it is under “My Music” in the top of the screen. I was looking in settings.

Back to listening 

🇳🇱

Under development:

53 minutes ago, mozes said:

I reached the same conclusion on my system even with the tX-USBexp. I settled on LMS-->StylusEP. This takes away the harsh edges on the highs. 

This configuration would be only beneficial for local files, right? Not tidal play

🇳🇱

Under development:

When I installed euphony turbo and hyper threading where off. Now I can only switch on hyper threading. When i switch turbo on it looks like it cuts the power off, the white and the green led on nuc board turn off and only the green led comes up.

Oh and how should I set real-time performance tuning

by the way I am still getting use to the new system but so far I am really liking what I hear.

🇳🇱

Under development:

51 minutes ago, austinpop said:

What's the power supply? Do you have this set: Power > Primary Power Settings > Low Power Enabled? 

The power supply is a diy studer900, should be good for 2,5 amps. I did try a different power setting, it was on the middle setting and put on the high setting.

🇳🇱

Under development:

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Weird. I've not had an issue, even leaving it in Low Power mode.

Well don’t understand but for now I have switched off the turbo. I have tried with a 19 v laptop power brick and it worked. I guess my power supply doesn’t have enough juice, but I don’t think so. Will try tomorrow with nuc in low power.

What about the hyper threading and real-time performance tuning setting? On or off

🇳🇱

Under development:

2 hours ago, luisma said:

@austinpop

Summarizing your BIOS experience, wide open with Turbo and HyperT ON and C States ON as well just adjusting minimum frequency to a fixed value like 1500 or so?

Hi 

The problem is i still can’t switch on the turbo boost on my nuc7i7dn and do not know why. I tried on an other nuc7i7, all kinds of bios power settings, hyperT and the other performance setting off, I even tried AL but nothing worked. The problem is it cuts power just when Euphony is starting up, green standby voltage led and the white power led switch off.

Then I started to mess with the power supply. One thing I forgot with the studer900 was to change the current limiting resistor, it still was set to ~2A, so I set it to ~4A. My transformer can do 2,5A/18Vac, with turbo off I can listen for hours and the transformer gets a little warm. Still all in all it should be enough to power the nuc with turbo on I think but maybe @lmitche has an idea as to why it’s not working.

The turbo boost has to be on before I can play with the max frequency, right??

Still with the turbo off and powered by the studer900 I am really happy with Euphony Stylus sound quality. It is much better than my previous setup, all hardware and sw are different so I can’t make a good comparison.

The width and the depth of the soundstage, realism and dynamics is amazing but I am sure it can do better. I have a lot of hardware changes to make but all DIY.

For instance this beauty 

B69DB559-9D20-4D7F-8CA9-F6FD65C0C1AD.jpeg.9378f27531681b4d9a8c805b5bb3defe.jpeg

outputs 4x 20V/2A.

Lots of information on the studer900 power supply from really helpfully and knowledgeable people can be found here 

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/297610-low-noise-pre-amp-dac-power-supply-mje15034-tl072-regulator-based-studer-900-a.html

I bought this studer900

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/linear-regulated-psu/regulated-linear-supply-module-op-tl072-mje15034-28v-p-12753.html

🇳🇱

Under development:

29 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Since you can run with Turbo ON with the SMPS brick, this does seem to be a PSU limitation. Sadly, many PSUs make bold claims, but do not cover themselves with glory when called upon to deliver anywhere close to their rated current. If your PSU cannot work with Turbo ON, then it's debatable you would get any SQ benefit from frequencies higher than the base anyway.

For now, your best bet may be to keep Turbo OFF until you can acquire a better PSU.

Yes, the smps brick is rated an 4,[email protected] so we will see when my new transformer arrives if 4A is enough and if at that current the studer doesn’t get to hot. I already have a bigger heatsink on it. The FET’s max current is also 4A so I am really pushing it, we will see.

Already working on an alternative/ replacement 5A dual regulated power supply with new and improved regulator from newclassd. But that may some time to build.

I have also ordered a neutron star clock from newclassd to replace the cpu clock, if all goes well at only a few cm from the cpu.

I really have too many ideas and not enough time, frustrating sometimes as it goes to slow.

This is what I made so far 

🇳🇱

Under development:

IMG_1446.thumb.JPG.61cb827fb7ecc8803d319e009d029629.JPGIMG_1460.thumb.JPG.0726b69a7b9ef4f4b52dbbfcee5da2af.JPGIMG_1441.thumb.JPG.37ca444f9f491a8201bd36a898323c19.JPG

🇳🇱

Under development:

Another new update from Euphony? I am now at 20190705.

🇳🇱

Under development:

5 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Can someone help me setup CPU isolation for the NUC which has 4 cores.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Are you running with hyperthreading enabled or disabled? Either way, without entering any values, first just hit Apply next to the CPU isolation field in Expert Settings. In the resulting screen, cut and paste the output here. Based on that, I can suggest an isolation setting to try.

Sorry I was wondering the same thing for my nuc7i7dn... Since a few days I am able to switch turbo on, hyper threading was already on. This is my output 

F0A499EF-3AD9-446C-9BFA-3B8C5543C6C4.thumb.png.a1cbf21f9c5b13c4032cdc44faf31691.png

I have also been playing with the CPU frequency but there seems to be only two settings and that is 1.9ghz and max, which is 3.8~4.2ghz. If I put 1900000 in the max freq field I get 1.9ghz. If I put 1900001 in I get max, 3.8~4.2ghz. Is this correct?

🇳🇱

Under development:

30 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Please specify your use case. Are you running this as a StylusEP endpoint?

It’s standalone server at the moment running stylus.

In the near future there is gonna be an Euphony endpoint too. 

🇳🇱

Under development:

19 hours ago, austinpop said:

0-1 stylus 2-3 gstp 4-7

Thanks Rajiv, I copied the above in the core isolation field and it works, I got this in the output screen.

14381DED-7A84-4B98-91B5-EB8474C93BB6.thumb.jpeg.08655215e279c5b133cc129148843fba.jpeg

i will play around some more this evening. Funny thing is that the temperature of physical core 0 and 1 are about 10 degrees cooler than the other two.

If you don’t mind me asking, could you explain the logic behind 0-1 stylus 2-3 gstp 4-7. What is gstp for instance? What does logic core 4-7 do? And you wrote (core 0 for default, core 1 for stylus, core 2-3 for gstp), so why core 2 and 3 for gstp while core 0 is for default - and only core 1 for stylus? I would say 0-1 are for stylus. I am trying to understand.

CC93CD5A-E8EA-4A71-8CC3-78503F16EB22.thumb.jpeg.abb7eb823db0bdd74f0fb0640339a61c.jpeg

🇳🇱

Under development:

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Please throw this input in the bit bucket. A pair of  12AT7's went bad in the pre amp, suspect they declined/ skewed my listening results over the past few days. Will report back after I've adjusted to their replacements.

Do you know this site: https://www.tubeworld.com/12at7.htm

🇳🇱

Under development:

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Is there a way to use Euphony Stylus server to feed a separate Stylus endpoint?

I have no experience with the endpoint license yet but it the direction I am going.

https://euphony-audio.com/buy-euphony-audio-transport/

On 8/22/2019 at 10:47 PM, austinpop said:

Please specify your use case. Are you running this as a StylusEP endpoint? Or is it a standalone server running Stylus? The process "stylus" runs both the music server and the overall web UI, so you see it running even in an endpoint machine. If a music server, then you want to give stylus some dedicated CPUs. If an endpoint, you can lump it with the default.

You could try and compare these (remember each physical core has 2 logical CPUs, i.e. HW threads):

• 0-3 gstp 4-7 < -- this may be good for endpoint (physical core 0-1 for default, core 2-3 for gstp, i.e. the player part of Stylus
  • 0-1 stylus 2-3 gstp 4-7 < -- this may be good for standalone  (core 0 for default, core 1 for stylus, core 2-3 for gstp)

Beyond this, feel free to experiment.

This relates to the issue in the NUC7i7 BIOS with the existing kernel. On the NUC7i7, the max CPU setting does not seem to "take" beyond the base frequency. Whenever Željko updates the kernel, this will then get fixed.

For me isolating cores is a success, stylus server. I think it sounds sharper, better defined. 

In an attempt to see if there is one core more favorable then the others to play stylus is not conclusive yet.

I also tried these configurations 2-3 stylus 0-1 gstp 4-7 and 0-1 gstp 2-5 stylus 6-7 were 2-3 stylus 0-1 gstp 4-7 sounded less, I think.

thanks

🇳🇱

Under development:

49 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

There appears to be an anomaly with the Core Isolation feature:

It reverts to the default of No Isolation after reboot, so I need to hit the Apply button again after each reboot - worth knowing for those who don't run their servers 24/7.

How do you see it’s gone back to default? I have switched back and forth a few times the last two weeks with no difficulties. 

🇳🇱

Under development: