IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, of course. This is only for those who want to experiment, and know the pitfalls and risks.

The key is to know how much physical RAM is in your box. Then go to "Temp/CPU" to check memory utilization. Based on that, you get a sense of free memory, so you know what you have to play with. In the example above, we are allocating:

1. 2GB for input stream
  2. 2GB for output buffer
  3. 50MB for ALSA buffer

Feel free to experiment, and post findings!

Also, if you set a value in the freq fields, it unlocks a frequency monitor in the Temp/CPU panel. If you just want to know what the current frequency is, (Kenneth), just set a small value like 800MHz in the Min box and look at the freq monitor.

FYI - frequency settings do not seem to work on the i7DNBE at the moment. It's probably due to the versions of kernel and cpupower Euphony uses, as frequency setting works fine in AL.

Great thanks for helping me decipher what these numbers mean. In my case, I have 8GB RAM and my CPU is a low powered one, Celeron 3160 which can run at a freq of 1.6 to 2.24 Ghz. 

I will play within these parameters and report what I hear.

51 minutes ago, austinpop said:

FYI - frequency settings do not seem to work on the i7DNBE at the moment. It's probably due to the versions of kernel and cpupower Euphony uses, as frequency setting works fine in AL.

Frequency doesn't work on my Jetway NF597 motherboard either.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RickyV said:

I am not interested in Roon, if you do not start with Roon you do not have to struggle with the Roon money on your back 😂. But is one Euphony nuc better then two nuc configuration??

Mee too, I am not interested in Roon. I am currently running LMS with Win 10 on my server and feeding SL with Euphony on my end point and very happy with the SQ. I still want to try AL on the server, but not sure if it supports LMS.

4 hours ago, RickyV said:

AL supports LMS but to get ipeng the remote s.w to accept tidal is a pain. But I am hardware guy I guess, no patients for s.w.

I use Squeeze Ctrl app on Android and I can control Tidal with it as well

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I hear a slight dimensional improvement but at a loss of smoothness.  I could guarantee you would be able to identify the digital source this way

I reached the same conclusion on my system even with the tX-USBexp. I settled on LMS-->StylusEP. This takes away the harsh edges on the highs. 

25 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi mozes,

What machine are LMS and Stylus EP running on?

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Basically both are low powered machines.

I have Nimitra running LMS and a custom sCLK-EX PC  based on a Jetway NF596 motherboard with Celeron N3160 CPU running StylusEP.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, austinpop said:

For folks who are using Euphony OS, you may be interested in this. Željko now has an experimental build where he has implemented ramroot support, which can be enabled/disabled from the Expert Settings area of the UI.

I've been trying it out for a couple of days, and my results so far have been promising. Just like in AL, enabling ramroot (loading the root partition into a RAM disk, and then booting from it) results in a definite uptick in sound quality.

Željko wants to get a few more proof points before releasing it, and asked me to convey this call for testers. If you're interested in testing it out, and reporting your results here in this thread, please reach out to him by opening a support ticket in the Euphony system.

So how can I  benefit from the ramroot option if I already run Euphony on an internal Optane drive?

Sorry if my question is a  bit dumb!

Not a dumb question, and no apology necessary! 

Loading the OS from an NVMe SSD (which is what your internal Optane drive is) is different from Ramroot:

• In normal mode, the boot loader will load the operating system (Euphony or AL, since both are based on Arch Linux) from the partition on the SSD that contains the root filesystem, i.e. that contains the / filesystem.
  • In Ramroot mode, the boot loader proceeds with an extra step. Early in the boot process, it creates a RAM disk partition (/dev/zram0) in memory, copies the contents of the / partition from the SSD to this partition, and then completes the boot from this RAM disk partition. 

What this means is that the filesystem containing the kernel and the OS files is now completely in RAM.

Why exactly this sounds better is yet to be explained, although a lot of theories abound, having to do with reducing the latency of OS operations due to all OS files being in RAM.

Great now I understand :)

thanks for the detailed explanation.

I also tried to compare SQ in ramroot with "Use cache" enabled vs. disabled. This only applies to Stylus, as Roon Core does not interact with the cache. Also, when comparing, it's important to check that you are indeed listening to the cached version

Do you know if LMS+StylusEP interact with cache?