IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

I am running Euphony/Roon on NUC i7 and Roonbridge running on the Celeron CJY NUC and noticing Roon performance issue when playing 96k/192k files only. It plays for couple of seconds and then skips and pops up an error message "An audio file is loading slowly. This may indicate a performance or hardware problem". I have been running this setup for months with AL and never had an issue.

Anybody know what the issue it ?

I am also noticing that with Euphony, I can't upsample to DSD256 in Roon when it wasn't an issue with AL on the same NUC. Strange!

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

I think the problem is the way that they were starting Roon.  There is a new release on the way.

53 minutes ago, bobfa said:

That new release is out.  I will start testing it later today.

Is there a way to update or do we need to reinstall from scratch ?

30 minutes ago, austinpop said:

You need to “Complete Installation” first. Settings... top of page

Ok, thanks! I haven't done that yet since my trial. For some reason I always thought "Complete Installation" is needed when you have a proper license. Will try it when I get back from work.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Yes, I am running trial instances of Euphony on both the Roon server, and the Squeezelite endpoint.

are you able to use native DSD or are they still DoP ?

Its strange that even Roon's DoP conversion on Euphony i7 NUC shutters.

Just now, austinpop said:

Not sure what you mean? I have always used DoP for DSD content, both with Roon Bridge and Squeezelite, and that remains unchanged on Euphony.

I generally use native DSD since my DAC supports it. When I tried LMS/Squeezelite sometime back, native DSD worked fine but I don't remember if Roon/Squeezelite supported native DSD (I remember its limited to DSD64). I just now tried Euphony/Roon running on i7 NUC and AL/Squeezelite on CJY NUC and looks like DSD playback strategy is always DoP. When I play DSD content in Roon, converting to Dop shutters which is very strange since the i7 NUC is much more capable. 

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Sorry - what do you mean by "shutters?"

Sounds like you may have a config issue, as DoP encapsulation is not a CPU intensive process at all, and even an ARM or a Celeron can handle that without breaking a sweat, let alone a mighty i7!

What I meant by shuttering is a sequence of brief pause followed by brief playback.

Yes, Dop conversion (encapsulating in a pcm packet) works on a very low profile h/w. Thus I am bit surprised. On this very NUC when running AL, Roon is able to upsample to DSD256, let alone DoP. Not sure if its an issue with Euphony or not.

8 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ah - what I would call stuttering. Potato potahto. :) 

DSD over DoP works fine for me on Euphony with the NUC i7 endpoint. 

Yeah, that thingy 🙂

I think you upgraded to the newer version. Do you remember if it worked with the older version of Euphony ? I am running release version 20190214.

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Update server is now available. I updated successfully this morning. The issue with Roon shuttering/stuttering seems to be nonexistent now. Will test some more.

Sorry, spoke too soon. Roon shuttering/stuttering still exist. I wasn't playing DSD content earlier and hence thought it was fixed. I think it could be due to usage of Wifi on the streamer side and squeezelite using large buffers which might cause Roon to transfer large data over the network. I will try with AL on the server and see if I can reproduce the same issue.

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It could be. I've never got wifi to work reliably at higher sample rates like 176.4 (in your case) or heaven forbid, DXD. This is one of the reasons I stick to wired Ethernet, as I have a lot of hi-res content.

You're correct, the network behavior with SL with large buffers is very asymmetric. See my analysis: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=904234

If you can try wired ethernet, see if that eliminates the issue. If so, you will need to adjust your Wifi components to achieve better throughput.

Yes, now I remember your post. I did a different experiment quickly - instead of squeezelite, I ran roonbridge and changed the Roon's audio setting on the server side to send DoP (DAC supports both native and Dop). I don't see the issue with Dop, however with 192K files it still has the issue with Roonbridge as well. With the same NUC (both server and endpoint), I have never faced the issue when running AL even when both of them are on Wifi. I guess I will have to test this with wired Ethernet.

My issue seems to be related to network performance. Changed to wired Ethernet and everything is working as expected. I use Airport extender which showed signal strength as excellent (w/ speed 300mbps) since it's located within a feet from the NUC. What I do know is 192k/DoP files played without issues when running AL on both the NUCs and both were connected over wifi. With Euphony running on the server I had to use wired Ethernet since they don't support wifi, while the endpoint NUC is still on wifi running AL, I noticed this shutter/stutter issue when playing Dop or 192k files. So it could be the problem with the extender when bridging between the Ethernet to wifi.

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

I wonder if the extender is routing traffic back to your router and forward again. 

yeah, that's a possibility if it doesn't have the smartness of local switching. The Airport express extender can also act has a full fledged router and they run the same s/w. So not totally sure what is happening when in extender mode.

1 minute ago, Chopin75 said:

Yes, you click on the "copy to euphony" button, If you mean you want to copy the files from the external drive to the local drive where the Euphony OS is. 

No, I mean I want to copy some music from my laptop into the external USB drive connected to Euphony which is mounted on /data.

2 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

I think you can use file manager (this feature is available only if you bought it) by opening Euphony app on your lap top. However I was only able to copy single files but not an entire folder of tracks, meaning I am not able to drag entire folder (with all the tracks in there) in. So if you want to copy an album folder it can get messy. Perhaps that has now been resolved with  V3 or maybe a way to do this I am not aware of.

When you share it (using samba), the drive is available from outside using audiouser/euphony username/password but its read-only (and hence I can't copy anything to it) since the drive is internally mounted as root user.

2 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Not sure what you mean, as I don't use Samba, but did you mount it into the library ? You might be able to mount the laptop drive into the library and then copy the files. If you want to share only or play the file directly from where it is then use ECache, 

I already have a Linux formatted USB drive that I have used for several years and now with AL as music file storage. I am using the same drive with Euphony as the music library. This is all good and works fine. When you use "Share Music Library on network" feature in Euphony -> Settings -> Library, you can see them from outside systems like a Windows pc or a Mac. However, when you want to copy anything to it, it won't allow. 

• 3 weeks later...

Željko mentioned that he will be supporting Wifi in the upcoming release. So that's a great news for those who are using Wifi at the moment.

I am especially interested in trying the Sylus(EP) with Roon server. So far I have only tried Euphony on the server side. I downloaded the latest version from website and ran them on the streamer NUC. The version is 20190405 and I don't see Sylus(EP) in the Audio settings. Am I missing something or its not release yet for general users ? 

• 2 weeks later...

I never had any network issue with Euphony - either Wired or Wifi. With Wired connection I had an intermediate switch connected to an wifi extender and didn't have any issue either with AL or Euphony.

Maybe just try rebooting the Catalyst and see if that works.