IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

HELP!!

So I have wasted a bunch of hours this holiday weekend just trying to get Euphony booted and a connection to it.  They sure have some fix-in to do.

Setting aside my end objective configuration I'd like to audition it in, I'm just trying to get it going at all.  No problem creating a Euphony boot USB stick using Etcher (have used that and other utils many times to make bootable Linux sticks).  But despite Euphony's indication that they support UEFI booting on Macs, here is what happens once I boot to the image--same on 3 different Macs:

P1090220.thumb.JPG.c3156c99a84c63ef2d49a2993f28c301.JPG

So then I figure I'd try booting this thumb drive on either my NUC or my Win10 laptop.  I can get either one to boot successfully--to the point where it says "EUPONY IS UP AND READY," please access on a web browser, etc.

Problem is, Euphony self-assigned itself an IP address--on a sub-net different from what my ADSL modem/router hands out.  On both machines it to 192.168.1.237.   But all addresses on my network are 192.168.8.xxx.

So of course attempting to access it from a browser does not work.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

ALEX

P.S.  Regarding the Mac efivarfs/emergency shell issue, an hour ago I submitted a ticket, and now received the following reply:

"This is very peculiar issue with iMacs. You have to install gdisk command line utility.
http://macappstore.org/gptfdisk/
After that use gdisk /dev/disk3 (or whatever number is USB with Euphony on it) and then enter these
x
e
w
y
(Enter after every letter).
I'm writing from phone so I'll explain later what this is and why this problem occurs.

And use USB stick, not SD card because with them there is no solution at all."

That's nice I guess, but I replied that the issue is not just with iMac.  I at first tried two different Mac minis with same result.

11 minutes ago, luisma said:

I think that's what they called fallback ip, you may not be getting an ip at all, I was able to get it running and working yesterday, try connecting to wired and once done access it and configure wireless if you need to, it is not officially supported but works 

Nope. I am wired.

Here is what Zeljko wrote me:

"It's the same for minis. (he is referring to first problem with Macs, not to IP address problem)

These euphony addresses are fallback and they were activated because there were no DHCP server available. Why is that so I don't know. Maybe you setup your router that way or there is some other issue in your network.
Maybe you put some restrictions on Mac addresses that can connect to your router?"

I replied:

"Thanks for your reply.  

1) If you know that both Mac minis and iMacs have this issue--needing installation of a command line utility and special configuration--then why would you not give all those instructions in the Mac section of your web download/trial page?

2) No, there are zero restrictions on my router with regards to giving out IP addresses. Both my NUC (booting AudioLinux) with direct wired connection, and my laptop booting Windows 10 with wireless connection--get assigned normal 192.168.8.xxx IP address, just like every wired and mobile device in my entire house. It is a simple network and I can look at the map of it and the settings by logging into my ZyXEL ADSL modem/router. 

With zero changes whatsoever, I can boot any other OS stick (I have on hand Jussi's HQ Player Embedded OS image; as well as AudioLinux sticks going into either NAA or Roon bridge modes which a friend optimized for me). Those have no problem getting proper IP address assigned. But booting your Euphony image it only gets the self-assigned fallback address.

Please let me know what else I can try.
Thanks,
ALEX"

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Check your router for devices with assigned addresses. Then point a browser at that IP. 

My router will not see any devices with self-assigned IP addresses.  I can see and connect to other devices on my network without any problem (see my above reply--same machine booting AudioLinux with same connection is seen and logged into with no problem!).

I've also found that Euphony's login screen (which as we know is unaccessible) changes once its ready for a browser connection. It can take a few minutes.

I see that change, but IP address stays the same self-assigned/fallback.

Also if you're trying to connect multiple devices with Euphony on them you need to change the host name and use different registrations. 

Nope just one.  I keep things simple here.

Oh wait!

I have a connection now--with the NUC.

Normally I have the NUC's Ethernet cable plugged into a Cisco Catalyst switch that sits under my audio rack.  And that switch is fed directly from my ZyXEL ADSL modem/router.  So as last ditch effort I bypassed the Cisco and ran the cable from the router directly into the NUC.  Booting now the NUC picked up a proper 192.168.8.xxx address from my router.

The question is, why does AudioLinux have no problem getting address from router--though Cisco switch--whereas Euphony won't and self-assigns?  Is it too impatient and too quick to self-assign?

Now I can at least play with Euphony a little bit.  But it won't be a fair comparison because the Catalyst switch is a benefit to SQ (as will be our own EtherREGEN later on ;-)).

5 hours ago, Dev said:

Like ? Anybody makes similar higher amperage rails that gets close ?

Give 120/240VAC to our choke-filtered JS-2 and it will happily crank out 7.6 amps at 12V all day long without breaking a sweat. Available and in demand all the time too.  Just sayin'... :D

Now to try again to get Euphony to boot on a Mac.  Apparently that is not supported--even though their web page lists instructions for creating a boot stick on a Mac.

3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

The problem is that all macbooks with T2 chip (2017 onwards) cannot use Euphony reboot. Macbooks too old are not compatible with V3 boot so I am not sure if there are many MACs that can use euphony now.

As I indicated previously, none of my Macs have T2 chip and I boot them with other Linux OS thumb drives all the time—including ArchLinux builds. So it is not a hardware issue, rather something with Euphony.  Yet the very same Euphony stick boots my NUC just fine.

Zeljko gave me instructions on a utility to load and to patch the stick with to overcome the issue:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=961476

I’m just not sure that I want to bother at this point.  I booted my highly-tweaked NUC with a Euphony stick and played some tracks.  Did not sound near as good as AL/NAA, and I’m not looking to build an exotic server to get the best from it—especially since the Stylus player is too rudimentary for my taste (and yet Roon goes too far in the other direction for me).  I know, I am really tough to please. But I am loving the SQ I’m getting from HQ Player Embedded (on Mac mini w/JS-2) feeding NAA (on AL/NUC w/UltraCap LPS-1.2). Now I’m just trying get HQPe to scan a network shared SMB volume and I’m on the hunt for an iTunes-like front-end that works with HQPe.

Sorry for the off-topic.  I do appreciate what Euphony is trying to create and Zeljko has been very responsive.  All fun stuff! B|

• 3 months later...